What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HS Grandee vs. Jacuzzi J-365  (Read 11020 times)

UnPossible

HS Grandee vs. Jacuzzi J-365
« on: June 01, 2009, 07:15:10 pm »
Hey - I've been researching hot tubs for the last couple of weeks, and based on what's available in my area I have it narrowed down to these two. (HS Grandee and Jacuzzi J-365)

Unfortunately, none of my local dealers for either brand have filled models available to wet test.

I have not pushed any of the dealers hard on price yet, but at this point it looks like the HS Grandee is coming in around $2K more than the J-365. After looking at both of them a couple of times, I like the controls on the Grandee and it does seem to me to be built a bit better.

However, I'm looking for some expert opinions to see if the Grandee is really worth the $2K extra (lower operating costs, fewer repairs, etc) before I lay down the cash.

Thanks,
Jason

Hot Tub Forum

HS Grandee vs. Jacuzzi J-365
« on: June 01, 2009, 07:15:10 pm »

Vanguard

Re: HS Grandee vs. Jacuzzi J-365
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 09:29:29 pm »
You are comparing a top of the line Hot Spring to the second tier Jacuzzi.  That doesn't mean in quality, as all Jacuzzi products are very high quality.  Your better comparison to the J-365 would be the Tiger River Caspian.

So, having said that, I think spending $2,000 of your money is well worth the extra cost to go to the Grandee.  It is a great hot tub.  Has lots of room and great therapy jets.

None of this is to take away from Jacuzzi as I consider it one of the top 5 brands out there.  This is like comparing a Lexus ES300 to a Nissan Maxima.  They are both very nice cars from great manufacturers.  But, you'd get a better comparison by comparing a Lexus to an Infiniti.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 12:21:46 am »
Very well said Vanguard. I was thinking near the same thing.

I did wet test a J-365 and dry tested a Grandee. Both are very good tubs....

Scott  8-)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 07:59:26 am »

Unfortunately, none of my local dealers for either brand have filled models available to wet test.

As of today they don't.   Walk into the HS dealer with a Jacuzzi flyer in hand and tell them to give you a call when they have a  Grandee filled and then do the opposite with the Jacuzzi dealer.  Many dealers rotate which tubs they fill and you might influence their next choice and timing.  At no time has the buyer had more leverage IMO.   Now I don't mean to imply that you should jerk them around, but they should be able to spot serious buyers and accomodate them.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Vanguard

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 08:27:21 am »

As of today they don't.   Walk into the HS dealer with a Jacuzzi flyer in hand and tell them to give you a call when they have a  Grandee filled and then do the opposite with the Jacuzzi dealer.  Many dealers rotate which tubs they fill and you might influence their next choice and timing.  At no time has the buyer had more leverage IMO.   Now I don't mean to imply that you should jerk them around, but they should be able to spot serious buyers and accomodate them.

I think part of the problem right now is many dealers' inventory is low.  Some may choose to carry say a Vanguard on their floor, but not a Grandee since they are so similar.

I agree though, you should get your dealers to fill the tub you want so you can test them out.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 12:22:57 pm »

I think part of the problem right now is many dealers' inventory is low.  Some may choose to carry say a Vanguard on their floor, but not a Grandee since they are so similar.

I agree though, you should get your dealers to fill the tub you want so you can test them out.
We have a Vanguard filled.  You can test it at my store.   ;)Comes pretty darn close to the Grandee. :-X
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 12:23:26 pm by hottubdan »
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

UnPossible

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 12:33:02 pm »
Dan - thanks for the offer, but with me being outside of Chicago, that would be quite a long trip for a test!

Jason

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 03:32:31 pm »
    I am curious spec wise what makes the Grandee or other spas in the HS line better, sorry better is a bad word (not similar) than the 300 series specially some of the smaller sized ones?

The Jacuzzi has 2-2.5 hp pumps with a  24hr 220v circ  vs the 2 2.5 hp pumps and the (110v circ  pump?) of the Grandee with 39 jets.  The J-365 has 32 jets the J-375 has 36 plus 12 leg jets. same pumps plus circ. same with the J-335 J-345 and the J-355. Add waterfall colored lights and ABS pan.

Other than filtration, I dont see a lot there, not to compare it to the HS line.  I would agree the 300 lines up with tiger river but its also lines up against the HS line as well.  With out starting a huge debate I would love to hear some opinions as to why its a step above??

« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 04:07:59 pm by Jacuzzi_Jim »

Renee

• '07 Jacuzzi J-365 in Nebraska
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 05:20:17 pm »
Hot Springs and Jacuzzi are the two quality hot tubs offered in my area.  I will tell you the 2 deal breakers for us in picking the J-365 over any Hot Springs models:

#1 - Hot Springs uses up a valuable corner seat by putting their filter there.  We are a 4 person TALL family.  We would constantly be arguing over who didn't get a corner seat!
#2 - Service reputation - The Jacuzzi dealer had a better reputation for service in our area. The Hot Springs dealer had burned some bridges with people I talked to.  Wasn't worth the risk.

We did wet test a tub or two at each dealer.  Jacuzzi offered everything that was important to us...depth, 4 corner seats, foot well with jets, nice lighting, cupholders and a soothing waterfall.   I have not regretted our purchase ONCE.

Good luck in making your decision!

Wannago

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 12:34:13 am »
   I am curious spec wise what makes the Grandee or other spas in the HS line better, sorry better is a bad word (not similar) than the 300 series specially some of the smaller sized ones?

The Jacuzzi has 2-2.5 hp pumps with a  24hr 220v circ  vs the 2 2.5 hp pumps and the (110v circ  pump?) of the Grandee with 39 jets.  The J-365 has 32 jets the J-375 has 36 plus 12 leg jets. same pumps plus circ. same with the J-335 J-345 and the J-355. Add waterfall colored lights and ABS pan.

Other than filtration, I dont see a lot there, not to compare it to the HS line.  I would agree the 300 lines up with tiger river but its also lines up against the HS line as well.  With out starting a huge debate I would love to hear some opinions as to why its a step above??

I'm currently shopping around and expect to be purchasing a tub within the next week or two.  I have looked at Dimension One, Caldera, Hot Spring, Arctic, Bullfrog, Dynasty (Trevi in Canada) and Jacuzzi.

It seems all the forums I visit rate HS as one of the top tubs.  However, I was less-than-blown away by them.  Aesthetically, I feel they come up short against brands like D1 and Jacuzzi.  Everyone talks about how efficient they are, however I haven't seen anything to validate that (however I've only been frequenting these forums for a couple weeks).  I personally don't see anything that would make them any more efficient than other foam filled brands - and I would think they would all be very close, so close you would probably need very controlled conditions to be able to differentiate.  Overall, they are probably a quality product, but I can't help but wonder if there is more burger than bun with respect to their reputation.   

Anyway, I don't mean to bash the HS, and I am not a dealer and far from an expert in this field.  I am however a very diligent consumer who is doing a LOT (too much if you ask my wife) of research into this purchase, which will be the third hot tub I will have owned.  If I HAD to buy a HS tub, I would not be worried about the quality or durability, as they seem to have a positive track record.  However, something about the HS line just didn't do it for me and I personally haven't seen anything to make me feel that they are any superior to their competitors.  At this point, if I were to end up with an HS tub as opposed to the J-480 or Amore Bay / Lotus Bay, I would feel as though I "settled" for something less. 

After looking closely at the Jacuzzi 400 series and the D1 Bay series, it is this consumer's opinion that the HS tubs come up short by comparison.  I don't feel that the HS Grandee is in these tub's league at all, and is better placed competing with the 300 series.  To me, in car terms, the J-400's and D1 Bays are the Bentleys and Rolls' of the hot tub world.  The J-300's and upper HS tubs are the Mercedes and BMW's.  All very good in their own right, but definitely not all at the same level.  If the Grandee is a Lexus, the 300 is definitely an Infinity.

Zoom Zoom!

Youth is wasted on the young!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 11:58:48 am »

Wannago

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 08:24:43 pm »
Thanks Dan,

Noticed the lowest it went was 50 F....that's mid summer here....wonder what the numbers are like at -40F   ;D
Youth is wasted on the young!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 09:59:27 am »
That is average ambient temperature.  What is the temp in the summer?  Really?  Winter?  Spring?  What does it average out.  What can other companies document?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 09:59:27 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42