What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chemistry question  (Read 3564 times)

michiganwinter

Chemistry question
« on: March 30, 2009, 04:52:40 pm »
At the beginning I had a hard time getting the PH and ALK levels down in my tub but finally got it balanced. Now I am having the opposite problem where PH and ALK are low. The dealer did not recommend a product to boost these levels as they said it is pretty much a problem of getting them down.  Do I need to buy some product to raise it or is there something I might be missing between the shocking and the chlorine?  Water feels pretty good, and is very clear since I changed the filter.

Hot Tub Forum

Chemistry question
« on: March 30, 2009, 04:52:40 pm »

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
Re: Chemistry question
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 05:01:52 pm »
You need Alkalinity increaser(or baking soda) to raise the ALK. Raising your ALK will also raise the PH some, so check your PH after raising the ALK. If PH is still low you will need to use PH increaser to bring it up. PH is the most important to have correct. ALK is a buffer for the PH.

Acid water will be clear, so don't let clear water fool you. You don't want the low PH damaging the tub. Shocking and the process of chlorine oxidizing the waste will lower the PH, very normal.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

michiganwinter

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 05:42:35 pm »
I'd like to try baking soda first (good all round thing to have on hand). Any idea the dose for a standard 4-person tub?  Thanks for the info on the clarity. I thought things might be okay, but guess not!

chem geek

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 05:57:00 pm »
You can use The Pool Calculator though have to multiply ounces volume by 6 to get teaspoons.  It takes about 4 teaspoons of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda to increase the Total Alkalinity (TA) by 10 ppm in 350 gallons.  After you've adjusted the TA, you can raise the pH by aerating the water or if it's really low and you need to get it up quickly, then you can add 20 Mule Team Borax or pH (Spa) Up product (the latter being the same as Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda).  The Borax will raise the pH with half the rise in TA compared to pH/Spa Up product.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 05:58:55 pm by chem_geek »

michiganwinter

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 10:45:37 pm »
Does it matter if you are using Nature2 vs the bromine stuff?

chem geek

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 01:07:42 am »
No.  Adjusting the TA using baking soda is independent of the sanitizer, as is the use of a pH Up product.

just ducky

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 09:02:59 am »
At the beginning I had a hard time getting the PH and ALK levels down in my tub but finally got it balanced. Now I am having the opposite problem where PH and ALK are low. The dealer did not recommend a product to boost these levels as they said it is pretty much a problem of getting them down.  Do I need to buy some product to raise it or is there something I might be missing between the shocking and the chlorine?  Water feels pretty good, and is very clear since I changed the filter.

I'm curious how long it took you to initially bring the ALK down.  We're also in Michigan, and have well water.  Just got the tub installed and wired over the weekend, and filled it on Sunday.  Our dealer told us to work on the ALK first, and initially the ALK was high, so I've been using spa down, and have been doing a dipstick test twice a day.  I just did my third check a few minutes ago, and it looks like it's almost down to the ideal range.  Is a couple days a reasonable time-frame to get the ALK tuned up?

Spalady

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 07:53:23 pm »
Alkalinity and pH can change with use and chemicals you add to sanitize the water. These are inexpensive chems to have on hand.. ph increaser, pH decreaser and Alk. increaser. We recommend you balance once a week before you add your 'shock' treatment. The only way to know if you have everything in balance is to test. PERIOD.
Start with small amounts and retest in a couple of minutes. You will start to know your tubs needs. I know for instance to add a couple of ounces to my water before retesting.
Please do not assume your nature2 cartridge will kill all the bacteria. It is still advised to shock (reaching 10ppm) once a week.
If you want to try something new and very easy check out SilkBalance or Aqua Finesse. These are the latest systems on the market and are making water care very easy for customers.
In Hot Water and Loving it since 1976.

Nitro

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 12:32:32 am »
I'm curious how long it took you to initially bring the ALK down.  We're also in Michigan, and have well water.  Just got the tub installed and wired over the weekend, and filled it on Sunday.  Our dealer told us to work on the ALK first, and initially the ALK was high, so I've been using spa down, and have been doing a dipstick test twice a day.  I just did my third check a few minutes ago, and it looks like it's almost down to the ideal range.  Is a couple days a reasonable time-frame to get the ALK tuned up?
You can bring Total Alkalinity (TA) down to an ideal level in just a few hours, regardless of the level you start at.

HERE is a guide on how to do it.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 12:32:32 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42