What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New guy looking for advice...buy used or new?  (Read 2333 times)

spantn

New guy looking for advice...buy used or new?
« on: April 11, 2009, 10:21:02 pm »
I would like to get a nice hot tub/spa for my family of 4. me, wife, two teens. I would like it to be as big as I can afford.
I have never owned a tub/spa so I know nothing about what I'm looking at.
What do I look for? I saw one today that seated 5 people and it costs $5300.00.
I thought that a little high, but I've just started looking. It looked like they should be 5 SMALL people.  ;)
My brother has one that he bought from a guy who bought it new from Lowes in 2000. It is 9 years old now. He replaced the pump already a couple of years ago. He said I could have it if I wanted.
It pumps fine, just has no heat now. I guess the heating element went out. It'll seat 4 people comfortably.
I don't know how repairable these things are..I mean if I'm going to spend my time repairing a 9 year old unit instead of enjoying it, that'd be a waste of my time. But if they are pretty hardy units, it might be ok to get a used one.
"you get what you pay for" is true in most situations, but not always. You can overpay in so many things now in today's economy.
Thanks in advance for any advice/help.
Mark
Just a new guy here asking for some newbie advice.

Hot Tub Forum

New guy looking for advice...buy used or new?
« on: April 11, 2009, 10:21:02 pm »

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
Re: New guy looking for advice...buy used or new?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 10:33:15 am »
welcome mark...

tubs are somewhat like cars

obviously used cars and used tubs.....are not as safe....as a new car or a new tub with a warranty

although some used tubs and used cars can work out fine.....it's case by case

there are basically 3 categories:
New Top Brand (Hot Springs , Sundance, Jacuzzi = Mercedes, Cadillac, Lexus)
New Box Store Brand You've Never Heard Of (The Kia's of the world)
Used (can be risky with no warranty, but a patient, educated shopper can find a steal on CraigsList.com)

Also hot tub dealers (just like car dealers) sometimes have trade-ins, floor models, blems, repos, and returns.

if your budget says $5300 for a tub that seats 4 is a "bit high"
you will most likely need to get a new lower tier brand, a no name brand from a box store, or a used tub

some people with a limited budget get a used tub or a new lower tier brand
save lots of money
and can always if needed used the savings for any future repairs
basically they are gambling their tub doesn't get sick
sometimes it works...sometimes they have to replace parts and "buy a headache"
it just depends on your situation and whether your budget requires a "gamble"

some of the dealers that frequent this site will be more help....good luck in your search.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 08:21:41 pm by Zep »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 12:40:50 pm »
UM...Zep..I don't see your brand or my brand on that list of top tubs...What's up with that? :-?
Support your dealer so they can support you!

starsky

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 01:59:30 pm »
I was in the market a year ago. What was important for me was insulation and cost of running it year round.. dependability and service, jet and seat configuration.

With a used one, I could save money, but it came with the risk of having issues I didnt know about, or didn't fit me well. With new you can sit in several models and wet test them to see which fits best. Insulation is very important to  me.

I personally wouldnt consider anything from Sams, Home Depot etc and would stick with top shelf brands like Hotsprings, Sundance, Arctic, Artesian, Jaccuzzi, (not all encompassing). I ended up with an Artesian, but it could have been a Jaccuzzi, Hot springs, D-1 etc etc and I would have been happy too.

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 08:33:34 pm »
"UM...Zep..I don't see your brand or my brand on that list of top tubs...What's up with that?"[/b]

LOL.....true Boni!!!!!!....You busted me!
I guess rather than fight with the "favored brand mafia" I chose to not mention my tub.
I know, I know....I shouldn't let them "win"
But I've got bigger fish to fry than spend time debating with them why I love my CalSpas tub.
And then hearing all the....well you know.

Boni....sometimes I'm just "not in the mood"....ya know the feeling?....LOL

BTW Miss Boni....Hope Ya Had a Great Easter!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 07:49:34 am »
Thanks Zep, I had a wonderful Easter and it looks like you did too...

I say that the BEST brand of tub is the one that fits your budget, your needs and your backyard...so WE HAVE the best tubs...no matter if our manufacturers are not on your list!! ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Spalady

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 06:58:11 pm »
Check with your local dealers that have been in business for more than a few years (10+ is great in this industry) and see if they sell refurbished spas. That will allow you to find a spa that has parts available, a professional that has some knowledge of how the spa you are buying works and maybe a warranty will be available from them.
When we sell refurbished models we do a complete check up and give 90 day warranty. (we do not ship so I am not trying to sell you a spa) I am sure there are dealers in your town that will provide that service.
I recommend spas that are fully foamed. Too many of the cheapies at Depot/Costco and other big box stores are not, and you will pay the difference every month.
On used- go for one that is less than 8 years if you can and again with dealer support.
Happy tubbing
In Hot Water and Loving it since 1976.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 06:58:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42