What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Anyone else just use bromine and spa shock?  (Read 2995 times)

Hubjeep

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Anyone else just use bromine and spa shock?
« on: February 19, 2009, 09:51:00 am »
I have had my tub for three years, over that time all I have added to the water was one tab of bromine in the floater and tossed in a few ounces of "spa shock" every month or so.  Water changed 3 times a year.  The tub is used about 2 times a week by one person, maybe two.

When it comes to the swimming pool, I check Ph, and chlorine levels, if not algae will grow.  The spa on the other hand smells fine, water is clear, and no foam with only what I do above.  

I watched the spa video that came with my bro's tub and LOLed at the number of chemicals it advised using, hahaha.  

Hot Tub Forum

Anyone else just use bromine and spa shock?
« on: February 19, 2009, 09:51:00 am »

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
Re: Anyone else just use bromine and spa shock?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 03:21:26 pm »
If thats all you are doing, be prepared to have repair issues soon. PH is one of the most important wtaer parameters in a spa. You have a recipe for very low PH which will chew up many of your spa components.

You can LOL at all the people who test and balance their water, but they may LOL at you when your spa is falling apart or you have a nasty rash from improper water chemistry. You have been very lucky that you are not sick, or dead.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

MarKee

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 03:42:49 pm »
I've never heard of anyone dying from their pH being out of balance..

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 04:56:32 pm »
I watched the spa video that came with my bro's tub and LOLed at the number of chemicals it advised using, hahaha.  

I use a simple chlorine routine that is as simple as yours in the amount of chems used (maybe less even but that's not my point). If you were to watch bromine video that came with a spa chem kit it would have recommended you use many chems as well. Any video froma  chem supplier is like that. Bromine use does NOT mean less chems are used; you're just a simplified method, maybe too simplified as well.

BTW, HTT is right, anyone who neglects checking their Ph is asking for trouble. I tell people to check it once a week. They won't have to acutally make an adjust that often but if you don't check it periodically you may go a long period with it being unbalanced and that can be bad news.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 04:59:59 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 01:03:19 pm »
I've never heard of anyone dying from their pH being out of balance..
1 bromine tablet, and then just MPS every month...1 bromine tablet a month is not going to cut it. Maybe I am missunderstanding how many tablets and when, but if you do not keep your bromine level up you can get sick and yes....die....from dirty water...not the PH, plus if the PH is not in the correct range, the sanitizers may not work properly.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 01:06:54 pm »
Careful you don't get pseudomonas.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 01:06:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42