What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Opinions on HotSprings Filter Cleaner?  (Read 3951 times)

p951

Opinions on HotSprings Filter Cleaner?
« on: February 08, 2009, 09:39:32 pm »
HotSprings recommends every other month to clean the filters with their filter cleaner.  This involves soaking the filters with a Qt of their filter cleaner in about 5-10 gallons of warm water for 12-24 hours.  I used the filter cleaner last week and thought I had thoroughly rinsed the filters of any remaining residue, but when I put the filters back in, the tub seems to produce quite a bit of foam.  I'm wondering if every 2 months of this might also be overkill.  I do spray out the filters every month.  What are some peoples opinions on the effectiveness of using the filter cleaner?

Hot Tub Forum

Opinions on HotSprings Filter Cleaner?
« on: February 08, 2009, 09:39:32 pm »

Vanguard

Re: Opinions on HotSprings Filter Cleaner?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 10:20:28 pm »
The Hot Spring filter cleaner is a good product.  It is just private labeled and is virtually the same thing as other filter cleaners - although, I seem to remember them saying something about the solution changing colors when the cleaning is through.  Hot Spring dealers can verify that or correct me if I'm wrong.  I don't know if others do that or not.

Is two months overkill?  Depends.  It depends on your spa usage and how dirty you and the folks getting in your spa are.  They put two months on the label as a generality or average.  

If you are a heavy user, then two months might not be often enough.  If you are a light user, then two months is probably not necessary.

As to the foaming issue, you just need to rinse them out better.  You didn't get all the cleaner out.  I recommend taking them out of the cleaner then rinsing with a hose, then soaking in clean water for an hour or so.  Then, rinse again.  You can never get them too rinsed, only not rinsed enough.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 10:21:36 pm by aquatub »
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 11:25:04 am »
 This involves soaking the filters with a Qt of their filter cleaner in about 5-10 gallons of warm water for 12-24 hours.

I can't imagine needing 10 gallons of water. You should only have to fill the container just barely enough to submerge the filter(s) you're going to soak. If you have more than 1 filter you could just soak a couple at a time to cut down on how much solution you use.

As far as rinsing afterward, I've always warned people that they need to rinse until they see no foam coming off the filters and then rinse a few minutes longer. In reality I think people almost have to screw it up once to understand how much they'll hate foam and that will be enough incentive to rinse diligently.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 11:28:31 am by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 12:14:23 pm »
As far as rinsing afterward, I've always warned people that they need to rinse until they see no foam coming off the filters and then rinse a few minutes longer. In reality I think people almost have to screw it up once to understand how much they'll hate foam and that will be enough incentive to rinse diligently.

Yea, what he said.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Flyonthewall

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 08:14:21 pm »
HotSprings recommends every other month to clean the filters with their filter cleaner.  This involves soaking the filters with a Qt of their filter cleaner in about 5-10 gallons of warm water for 12-24 hours.  I used the filter cleaner last week and thought I had thoroughly rinsed the filters of any remaining residue, but when I put the filters back in, the tub seems to produce quite a bit of foam.  I'm wondering if every 2 months of this might also be overkill.  I do spray out the filters every month.  What are some peoples opinions on the effectiveness of using the filter cleaner?
personally i like leisure time's filter cleaner above the hss brand and others.  it does a great job and seems to be a bit easier to rinse out.  my rule of thumb is rinse it out good, and then do it all over again to be sure.  i hate a sudsy spa.  the LT brand says to use the qt. in 10 gallons of water.  its very possible that you can use half the bottle in a better sized container.  remember that the filters displace water so a 10 gallon bucket with filters doesn't hold 10 gallons.  i try to deep clean them every time i drain the spa.  

p951

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 09:48:15 pm »
Yeah.  I think the next time I do a water change (every 4 months for me at this point) I will soak the filters.  After rinsing them out, I'm going to run them through the dishwasher with no soap and no heated dry for the final rinse.

Vanguard

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 12:39:04 am »
Do you have the Tri-X filters?  If not, I'm not so sure you should put them in the dishwasher.

The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 09:18:56 am »
personally i like leisure time's filter cleaner above the hss brand and others.  it does a great job and seems to be a bit easier to rinse out.  my rule of thumb is rinse it out good, and then do it all over again to be sure.  i hate a sudsy spa.  the LT brand says to use the qt. in 10 gallons of water.  its very possible that you can use half the bottle in a better sized container.  remember that the filters displace water so a 10 gallon bucket with filters doesn't hold 10 gallons.  i try to deep clean them every time i drain the spa.  

I use the LT filter cleaner as well.  

I take a 5 gallon bucket, put the filter in, add enough water to cover the filter. I then remove the filter and estimate the amount of water in the bucket. (It's about 2/3 full).  Since the filter cleaning solution is good fo 10 gallons, and I have about 3.5 gallons of water, I pour about 1/3 of the bottle of filter cleaner in to the water.

After I am done cleaning the filter, I will put a cover on the bucket of water/cleaning solution and use it a couple of more times before I finally toss it out.

as far as rinsing the filter, I  use a high pressure hand held shower spray in the extra bathroom. I have also removed the band around the pleats on my filter. This allows me to clean the pleats significantly better.  

Been doing this for several years and had no problems with dirty filters. :)

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 09:21:32 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Vanguard

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 11:10:41 am »
Drew,

Why did you remove the bands from your filter?  I guess maybe with spa filters not under pressure that is okay.  I guess on the pool side, they want the bands in place to keep the pleats from moving too much.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 11:18:50 am »
I, too, use LT filter cleaner.  I clean monthly.  One bottle lasts me three to four months.  Though I soak my filter overnight once per month, I sometimes feel this is overkill and that rinsing monthly and soaking once every three months may work just as well and be actually better for the filter itself.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 11:28:06 am »
Drew,

Why did you remove the bands from your filter?  I guess maybe with spa filters not under pressure that is okay.  I guess on the pool side, they want the bands in place to keep the pleats from moving too much.

I started doing this when cleaning the filter on my old Nordic. When cleaning the filter, the band inadvertently started to come off. I pulled it completely off with no mess, and found I was able to really use the hand held sprayer to clean in between the pleats very well. I was suprised at the amount of crap trapped down  tightly in the pleats.  :P

I asked around I belive here on this board, with several dealers, and such and no one could give me a clear answer if I was damaging the filter or impacting it's ability to trap and hold particulates.   I haven't seen any negative issues with the filter, so to this day once the band starts to come loose, I pull it completely off and am able to really clean the filter.

I'm sure it's there to help keep the pleats togethor and keep all the gunk trapped, but in my set up I haven't seen any problems.

Am I missing something?
 :-?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 11:29:26 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 11:37:31 am »
Sometime removing the band can allow the filter to swell and for some who have tight fits that may be an issue. Even then you can simply put a tie warp in place after you clean it and just take it back off for the next cleaning and put a new one on afterward if swelling is an issue.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2009, 11:51:47 am »
Sometime removing the band can allow the filter to swell and for some who have tight fits that may be an issue. Even then you can simply put a tie warp in place after you clean it and just take it back off for the next cleaning and put a new one on afterward if swelling is an issue.

Got it. If I experience swelling for longer than 4 hours, I will seek help.  ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

Flyonthewall

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 05:18:10 pm »

Got it. If I experience swelling for longer than 4 hours, I will seek help.  ;)
actually i heard you're just supposed to get out your little black book if that happens.  then again maybe thats the help you are seeking.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 05:18:10 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42