What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: You poor southerners!  (Read 6296 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
You poor southerners!
« on: January 14, 2009, 07:25:43 pm »
Oh, what your missing, its 23 degrees now, headed to negative country in the morning, but for now, no wind and big fat flakes (No relation to any guitar playing Colorado Hot tub syhsters) We are headed for the tub.   Poor Termy missing out.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

You poor southerners!
« on: January 14, 2009, 07:25:43 pm »

96SC

Re: You poor southerners!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 07:35:22 pm »
The folks around here who were 'born and raised' in the south are in a panic, the temp is supposed to get to 9 or 12 on Friday night.  The 9 or 12 is either wind chill or actual temp, depending on who you talk to. :'(

I do know, from experience, that some southern plants can't take much cold.  You'll see a lot of houses with blankets, towels, tarps etc covering the more delicate bushes.  It sort of looks like the 'Beverly Hillbilly's' clothes line back by the 'cement pond'. ;D

Let them call for snow and you won't be able to find milk or bread anywhere.
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 07:41:38 pm »
We'll be down in the single digits tomorrow as well..IF you think heating a hot tub is expensive..I am trying to heat my pond enough to keep the waterfall from freezing..can't wait to see this electric bill!!
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 08:33:58 pm »
It hit 73 here today  ;D
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 08:52:35 pm »
Even the TV news stations around here are NUTS!  Sure, it's suppose to get down to 9 degrees above zero.  So what, it's a bit cold.  The news actually had a weatherman telling viewers that they need to make certain that their sprinkler heads don't freeze over and crack.  Said that we should "place blankets and towels" on and around the heads to keep them from freezing over?  WTF is up with that?  Most people i know already drained their systems but I can see it now.  As we leave our neighborhood, it will look like the local goodwill store after a sale with laundry scattered out over everyone's lawns!   I am actually thinking of taking pictures simply for the humor aspect of it all.  I can imagine a northerner watching the news goinf WTF did he just say?!?!?!

PS - I am a transplanted yankee....
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 11:05:43 pm »
WE will have our coldest night since 2004.  Many schools in outlying areas are closing.  They don't want kids standing outside on windblown highways waiting for the bus that may not start in these cold temps.  

With the anticipated feels like -40 (with the wind chill), I will cave in and drive the kids to school.

No tubbing for us in this weather--it would be dangerous.
2005 HS Vanguard

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 11:40:27 pm »
re: "No tubbing for us in this weather--it would be dangerous".

really?

at what temp does tubbing actually become dangerous?

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 01:33:02 am »
Oh, what your missing, its 23 degrees now, headed to negative country in the morning, but for now, no wind and big fat flakes (No relation to any guitar playing Colorado Hot tub syhsters) We are headed for the tub.   Poor Termy missing out.

Termy ain't missing out on nothin'!

It's 1 degree where I just landed.  Thank goodness when I checked into the Doubletree, they gave me two nice, warm chocolate chip cookies at the front desk.  I put them in my socks to keep my feet warm tonight.

I get to see the 2009 HotSpring Spas tomorrow and then it's off to Morton's Steakhouse for dinner.

I will report back when there is something to report.

Term
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 11:54:05 am »
I need to see a photo of the chocolate chips in the socks.  Woke up to an even 0F this morning, I think tomorrow is supposed to be colder.   Hoping to break my current record of soaking at 4F
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 05:02:00 pm »
I like to brag, but it's warm here in Paradise. A bit windy, but the winds are warm

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

In Canada eh

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 07:22:03 pm »
[size=48]WIMPS![/size]

;D ;D ;D ;D

Although I would much rather have Chas' weather forcast
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 07:23:04 pm by Confused_in_Canada »
Bullfrog 451

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 10:42:02 pm »
re: "No tubbing for us in this weather--it would be dangerous".

really?

at what temp does tubbing actually become dangerous?

I suppose that is negotiable, but when exposed flesh can become frostbitten in under 10 minutes I certainly would not recommend going outside with no clothes on!  :o :D

When it's just below freezing and there is a breeze, we will wear headbands/earmuffs in the tub.  That would be the limit for us.  A facemask would be just too much!   ;D

BTW, my school district closed our schools today as well--I couldn't believe it.  Many of us couldn't believe it--we never close!  We also hit a record for being -23 on the thermometer this morning.  Yikes.
2005 HS Vanguard

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 11:43:48 pm »
I had to go out and turn on the sprinklers! My lawn was drying up! And the roses - don't even get me started about the roses.

Bird of Paradise seems to be doing well though...

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Kawwboy

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 09:11:39 am »
Heat wave here....-41(actual) night before last, +7 now and suppose to get to 27 today. It was -16 at dark last night.

I really do enjoy the tub, but when it is like this, I should be down south someplace. What do you do with the tub. Hard to drain, don't dare leave it for extended period.

Take care.............

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 01:48:11 pm »

I suppose that is negotiable, but when exposed flesh can become frostbitten in under 10 minutes I certainly would not recommend going outside with no clothes on!  :o :D.

10 minutes?  It takes me 20 seconds to lift the cover and get in. Only then does my wife venture out. Last night when it was -1 we wore hats.  As soon as we are done, she goes right in the house, after I help her on with the robe, after which I drop in the Dichlor, close the lid and I'm back in the house after around 30 seconds.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 01:48:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42