What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ozonator failure  (Read 7111 times)

watzup

• sipping suds
Ozonator failure
« on: January 08, 2009, 07:45:52 pm »
After 2.5 years, my ozonator has quit.  I tested it by looking in the bottom 3 holes for a "blue" light, do not see anything.  It is a Sanizone Plasma Ozonator.  Any suggestions other than replacing it with the same type/brand? Is this typical life for an Ozonator?  TIA

Hot Tub Forum

Ozonator failure
« on: January 08, 2009, 07:45:52 pm »

clover

Re: Ozonator failure
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 08:50:02 am »
Ozonators have a limited life expectency and will expire sometime in 3 to 5 maybe 6 years.  You have a UV ozone and if the light is not activating on then you should replace it.  I would strongly suggest replacing it.  The other option of course is to revert to a chemical regime to maintain your water maintenence.

Ozone is a great boost in helping with maintaining sparkeling clean and cryatal clear water without a great deal of time, attention or chemicals.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 11:54:11 pm »
I'd just leave it as is. The payback period isn't worth the cost of repair.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 06:43:45 pm »
I'd just leave it as is. The payback period isn't worth the cost of repair.

I agree.

watzup

• sipping suds
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 08:56:40 pm »
WOW, I am surprised at that answer.  I priced one today, it was $130.  (Simple install, plug it in and connect the hose)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 08:57:59 pm by watzup »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 02:41:47 am »
I certainly didn't say it's thousands...

My question is, how long will it take you to recover that cost and is the benefit worth it? IMO, it's not and I'd put that money towards a years worth of free chemicals...

clover

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 01:41:44 pm »
Ozone introduces a sanitizer / oxidizer to your system on a continuing basis without you.  Chemicals you must monitor and administer on a regular on going basis as needed, but it requires your time, attention and interpretation as to how much and when, and thus involves you as the administrator.

Ozone is known to be very helpful in maintaining sparkling clean and crystal clear water, however you will not find everyone to be "pro" ozone, while many others are very "pro" ozone for water chemistry.

I, for one, believe it to be very useful and beneficial.  We have been using ozonators since the 80's.  We have put more than 4,000 units into service over time and 97% of the people choose to replace them as they expire.  The reason is simple, they can see a difference in water quality after the ozone expires and they use a great deal more chemicals than before.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

watzup

• sipping suds
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 02:02:21 pm »
I certainly didn't say it's thousands...

My question is, how long will it take you to recover that cost and is the benefit worth it? IMO, it's not and I'd put that money towards a years worth of free chemicals...

Since you are no longer in "the business" and your answer is centered around cost/benefit, help me out and do a c/b for the replacement I mentioned vrs 3 years worth of chemicals without ozone.  I have used chemicals AND ozone since the tub was new.  My spa is 262 U.S. gallons.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 02:42:36 pm »
Ozone is essentially an oxidizer, which is what non chlorine shock is.  At the rate that ozone is introduced to water, its effectiveness is open to debate.  Actually, the amount that is absorbed into the water and not just "gassed off" is suspect.  Most ozone supporters will say their customers find water maintenance easier or use less chemicals, but there is very little data to back this up.

My ozonator never really died, but after four years the nitric acid ate the plastic piece that connects the tubing.  I have been without an ozonator for two and a half years and find my water just as easy to maintain.  I now prefer to add a couple of tablespoons of non chlorine shock once a week to get the same effect.  This way I can leave my cover off while it off gasses rather than have all the ozone collect under the cover doing damage to the pillows and knobs (which it does).

watzup

• sipping suds
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 03:08:43 pm »
Ozone is essentially an oxidizer, which is what non chlorine shock is.  At the rate that ozone is introduced to water, its effectiveness is open to debate.  Actually, the amount that is absorbed into the water and not just "gassed off" is suspect.  Most ozone supporters will say their customers find water maintenance easier or use less chemicals, but there is very little data to back this up.

My ozonator never really died, but after four years the nitric acid ate the plastic piece that connects the tubing.  I have been without an ozonator for two and a half years and find my water just as easy to maintain.  I now prefer to add a couple of tablespoons of non chlorine shock once a week to get the same effect.  This way I can leave my cover off while it off gasses rather than have all the ozone collect under the cover doing damage to the pillows and knobs (which it does).

So what did you do with the tubing, just cap it off or leave it open.  The non-chlorine shock something like "renew"
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 03:09:46 pm by watzup »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 04:46:11 pm »

So what did you do with the tubing, just cap it off or leave it open.  The non-chlorine shock something like "renew"

Renew is a brand of MPS, non-chlorine shock.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 02:37:16 pm »

I left the tubing open with check valves in place so I still get "the bubbles".

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 02:37:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42