What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: stabilizer and alkalinity  (Read 8294 times)

benalexe

stabilizer and alkalinity
« on: January 10, 2009, 12:01:28 pm »
What do you add if bot the stabalizer and the alkalinity are both low and the water is a somewhat murky or cloudy?

I have not been out to the tub for about 9  days I went out today to check on it because it was going to snow here and wanted to go in this evening.  

I dumped about 2 oz of shock in it and check the PH and Chlorene which are fine but the other two items are very low.

Last time this happened I had to dump the water and refill I hope i don't need to do that.  Last time I could not get the water clear.    Any advice?

Hot Tub Forum

stabilizer and alkalinity
« on: January 10, 2009, 12:01:28 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: stabilizer and alkalinity
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 01:46:14 pm »
Ignore stabilizer.  That is for pools.  Add TA increaser (baking soda).  You have a false reading on the chlorine, as you are measuring the shock.  You probably need to add chlorine.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

benalexe

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 03:05:07 pm »
I ended up adding dichlor which then raised the total alkalinity and now the PH is low so I threw in some PH.  Am I ever going to get rid of the cloudy water?  Do I need to drain the sucker.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 03:31:17 pm by benalexe »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 03:28:16 pm »
 Do I need to [glow]train[/glow] the sucker.

[glow]Train[/glow] the sucker.
 ;D
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

benalexe

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 03:31:34 pm »
Oops

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 04:29:25 pm »
Benalexe, have you even remotely tried to learn the basics to water management since joining this site.

benalexe

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 04:32:02 pm »
Chad... Nope.... I just throw some dichlor in every week or son... everthing is normally in check.  When I first got the tub after about a mount I had cloudy water  tried for like 3 days to clear it up and the just decided to do a dump.  Then about November I dumped again before the winter. Never had a problem.

Nitro

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 11:40:44 pm »
Ben, I think Chad may be trying to tell you something. Going by your posts, it's clear that you really need to learn basic water maintenance. If you don't you will continue to have problems.

If you want to learn how to maintain your water, there are plenty of people on here willing to help. However, don't expect that anyone can help, if you aren't willing to learn.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 11:41:09 pm by Nitro »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 12:17:10 am »
I say turn the tub into a planter! It stands about the right height to make a nice eye level raised garden.

Seriously, what you're doing is not good at all. And you put kids into it where they can dunk their heads and come up with ear infections or worse. Neglecting the tub will get biofilms growing and normal doses of chlorine or bromine will not work.

benalexe

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 08:15:43 am »
Not sure why I am doing anything wrong... I have followed exactly wha the book says.  My test stips always end up fine by me putting Dichlor in when we get out of the tub as well as 2 oz of chlorine every week.  Normally the PH is fine.

So with that said what else should I be doing?

benalexe

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 08:39:46 am »
Just went out to the tub.  Water looks much much better today

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 02:47:20 pm »
Usually a shock dose of chlorine and sufficient filter time will clear cloudy water if pH is in line.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 02:47:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42