What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Jacuzzi circ pump issues.  (Read 5278 times)

mmkur

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Jacuzzi circ pump issues.
« on: December 18, 2008, 10:09:07 am »
Thanks in advance to anyone's input into this issue.

I have a 5 year old Jacuzzi J-340.  Earlier this year, the circulation pump started sounding like it was grinding up rocks and I eventually replaced it with another new Laing pump.  Several months later, the pump is again making quite a racket.

Could the noise be air that is trapped in the pump?  Do you need to "prime" these pumps once they are installed?  Or could it be that I just received a bad pump. For what it's worth, I have definately isolated the noise to be coming from the pump.  ABout a week ago, I was out of town for several day and when I came back and checked the tub, the temp had dropped 12-15 degrees and the pump was not running at all.  I powered down the spa using the GFI and when it came back on, an F-1 error was showing on the display.  AFter several minutes, the situation resolved itself and the temp came back up to where it should be, and I could hear the circ pump running again.

Can anyone give me your thoughts on this issue.

Cheers,

mike

Hot Tub Forum

Jacuzzi circ pump issues.
« on: December 18, 2008, 10:09:07 am »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Jacuzzi circ pump issues.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 10:19:28 am »
You always need to prime the circ pump on start up.  However, the noise does not sound like air.  Could be a bad pump.  Any chance you have sucked debris, like leaves, in there?  That could cause noise.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

mmkur

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 10:44:05 am »
I don't think any debris was sucked in there, I am a freak about keeping the water clean.

After installing a circ pump, can anyone tell me how you would prime it?  Or is this something done prior to installation by filling with water as much as possible?

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 11:11:23 am »
Remove circ pump filter.  Place hose at bottom of where filter screws in.  Fill tub half way through there.  I am going by old memory.  Jacuzzi Jim or another Jacuzzi owner may be more precise.  I think it is in your owner's manual also.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 12:50:47 pm »
 You can do the hose thing on the circ pump side with a rag wrapped around the end to give a good seal and push the air out.   There is also a fill adapter you can buy from your dealer that screws to the end of a garden hose, then screw the adapter to where the filter screws into the filter fitting.  Basically has the same threads as your filter.

Probably cost a couple of bucks.

Should add they now have bleeder valves that correct that problem though it still happens from time to time.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 12:52:44 pm by Jacuzzi_Jim »

mmkur

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 03:44:35 pm »
Jim,

Is the bleeder valve the brass screw on the bottom of the pump?

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 04:01:15 pm »
 Their shouldn't be a brass screw on the btm of the circ pump?  Least I have never seen one.  The new bleed valve they use now is in the filter area under the skimmer, there is flex tubing ran from each pump to bleed the air off as it fills.

Something you could do is open the front look for the flow switch just past the heater see if there is any air in there.  you could also unhook the hose from the end of the heater for just a few seconds that will usually do it as well.  

hottubinn

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 12:01:05 am »
Sure sounds like a bad circ pump.  I replace probably 2 a week.  I have never had to prime a circ pump, although all of the Jacuzzi's I work on have bleeder lines on them.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 12:01:05 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42