What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What sanitation method is easiest/cheapest  (Read 6591 times)

spa_newb

What sanitation method is easiest/cheapest
« on: October 28, 2008, 04:45:38 pm »
Bromine vs Chlorine....Which requires the least babysitting and is easiest on the wallet?

Hot Tub Forum

What sanitation method is easiest/cheapest
« on: October 28, 2008, 04:45:38 pm »

benalexe

Re: What sanitation method is easiest/cheapest
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 09:08:22 pm »
I never used bromine but Chlorine is easy and cheap.  I thought Bromine needed more steps and smelled worse. When did my research I did not see any value in bromine but that is just me and I am sure you will get many different opinions.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 09:30:22 pm »
I think Bromine meets the "needs less babysitting"...I know when I am not using the tub a lot, I can just set it and forget it..Of course I have the spa frog. chlorine may be less expensive
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 09:35:26 pm »
Vinny...where are you???
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Renee

• '07 Jacuzzi J-365 in Nebraska
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 11:29:07 am »
I've used both.
Chlorine is easier and less expensive, in my opinion.
I don't ever forsee switching back to bromine.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 11:47:35 am »
The thing I run into with bromine is that there is chlorine built into the tablet type. That eats up your cover from the inside out so you don't notice until it starts to get heavy, ruins headrest pillows and also gives it the smell.

Also, people tend to leave the floater in place even when the tub is not in use, resulting in ultra-high levels of bromine. Once the level has reached the right range, the floater should be removed, but I find most folks don't.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

spa_newb

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 01:48:23 pm »
So Assuming I go the chlorine route, once all checmicals are initially balanced, what is the general procedure to maintain the tub? Lets I assume my GF and I use it 4 nights a week, and every other weekend have several friends over to use it.

benalexe

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 08:06:05 pm »
I throw in abotu 2 oz per week and then a few tablespoons after ever soak. I also use the n2

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 09:20:13 pm »
The method I have used and recommended for twenty years is to simply add a small amount after each use. If you go a week without using the spa, shock it at the end of the week.

If you have ozone and use N2, you can keep the chlorine down to 1PPM and things should be rosy. That could be a teaspoon after each use. I don't know the exact amount you would have to add, but here is how to find out:

Bring the chlorine level up to 2 PPM if you have ozone, 3 - 5 if you do not.

Use the spa.

Add two tablespoons of dichlor. Test the following evening to see if you have the above readings.

If too high, cut back. If too low, increase.

Repeat.

8-)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 09:21:01 pm by Chas »

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 12:05:11 am »
The method I have used and recommended for twenty years is to simply add a small amount after each use. If you go a week without using the spa, shock it at the end of the week.

If you have ozone and use N2, you can keep the chlorine down to 1PPM and things should be rosy. That could be a teaspoon after each use. I don't know the exact amount you would have to add, but here is how to find out:

Use the spa.

Add two tablespoons of dichlor. Test the following evening to see if you have the above readings.

?
Repeat.

8-)

Chas, I've never heard this method described before. Do you mean add two teaspoons of dichlor? I usually shock with two tablespoons of dichlor.

I started out using spatech's method of adding one teaspoon of dichlor per person after each use and shocking with MPS or Dichlor every week. I have ozone and N2 and this method has worked perfectly for the last three years--never had a single problem.

You can also go to docs site and read all about the Vermonter method. It's basically the chlorine bible. Look at "What is the "Dichlor Dosing - Vermonter Style" under the FAQ section at: http://www.rhtubs.com/cgi-bin/bbs/config.pl

2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

LStoner

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 11:59:42 am »
I think these suggestions may help me as well. Good post. I was wondering if after use, when you add the 1-2tsp of dichlor, if you keep the tub running or not.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 12:43:13 pm »
Chas, I've never heard this method described before. Do you mean add two teaspoons of dichlor? I usually shock with two tablespoons of dichlor.

Two Tablespoons. That is a high amount, and most folks will have to reduce from there. But it is safer to bring the level of chlorine down rather than running it low at the outset.

Also be aware that the chlorine amount needed to reach a certain PPM will go down as you own the tub a while. Your tub does a wonderful job of deep-cleaning the pores of your skin, from neck to toes! As a result, you may have an oil line at first which goes away after a few weeks.

8-)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 12:49:41 pm »
I think these suggestions may help me as well. Good post. I was wondering if after use, when you add the 1-2tsp of dichlor, if you keep the tub running or not.

Good question! If you broadcast your dichlor over the surface with the jets running - as many people do - it will surprise you and settle in the same corner every time. That can be very hard on the shell material, leading to tiny blisters, or chemical burn.

Put any powdered chem into the filter area - if you have an open filter area, sprinkle the diclor right in there with the jets on. Run the jets for about ten to fifteen minutes.

If you don't have an open filter area, or can't reach it easily, scoop some hot water out of the tub in a plastic pail or large pitcher. Add the chem to that, mix, and pour into the center of the tub with the jets running. If it all doesn't mix the first time, pour off the water, add some more, and repeat as needed.

This sounds like work, it isn't really that bad once you get in the habit. And if you keep the bucket next to the tub with the bottle of dichlor under it, it will be even easier.

8-)

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 12:25:59 am »

Use the spa.

Repeat.

8-)

Chas, are you saying that if I use only one-two teaspoon after use (1-2 PPM) that my reading should be 1-2 PPM 24 hours later to be effective? My chlorine readings typically are 0 by the morning using ozone and N2.

2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 07:50:24 am »
I use one teaspoon of dichlor per person after each soak and shock with MPS once a week.  To be safe, sometimes I add one teaspoon before soaking. The tub is used daily with no other method of sanitation and is about 350 gallons.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 07:54:54 am by Mr._Bubbles »
It's all about da bubbles!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 07:50:24 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42