What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How many bromine pucks in Sundance Optima?  (Read 4420 times)

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
How many bromine pucks in Sundance Optima?
« on: October 23, 2008, 05:11:51 pm »
Been using post-soak dichlor in my 2006 Optima since I bought it, but since I don't use the tub as much anymore I've been finding that the water goes too long without getting dichlor.  Because of that I just switched to bromine but I have no idea how many pucks to put in the built-in "brominator".  Anyone?  I use the tub 2-3 times a week so my bio-load is pretty low I think.

Related note -- how often should I expect to have to add pucks?
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

Hot Tub Forum

How many bromine pucks in Sundance Optima?
« on: October 23, 2008, 05:11:51 pm »

fdegree

• 2007 Sundance Optima
Re: How many bromine pucks in Sundance Optima?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 05:32:34 pm »
I realize this does not actually answer your question, but it is another option.  I have a 2007 Optima and use this bromine floater.

http://www.hottubworks.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=MP1973E

It holds about 6 tablets...more or less, depending on how far open you set it.  Once you find the proper setting (this could take a while using trial and error), you may be able to go a couple of weeks without worrying about your sanitizer level nor refilling the floater.

We only use our tub about once a week.  Our bromine level stays around 3, and I refill the floater about once every 3 weeks.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 05:35:27 pm by fdegree »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 07:53:32 am »
I do not recommend tablet bromine for my customers who have insulating covers. The most common tabs or pucks have quite a high level of chlorine in them, and that chlorine eats away at the vapor barrier inside your cover. You will not see this happening. One day you'll just notice that your cover is getting real heavy, and it goes downhill very fast from there. It also eats most headrest pillows alive.

Also, be aware that you will have to test and adjust your feeder daily for many weeks until you get it just right, and then if you throw in some higher or lower use than normal, you will have to supplement the feeder or remove it for several days. They are not automatic - in fact they feed more when the water is moving, which means you may have to adjust your filter cycles to boot!

If you want to go with a feeder after this glowing report... be sure to use a non-chlorine type of product, such as "Brilliance" from the Baqua folks.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 08:19:31 am »
My Marquis has a built-in bromine feeder, the frog in-line system, that uses the bromine cartridges. I learned early on that I could reuse the cartridge and find I refill it about every 3 or 4 weeks in the summer, a little more often during the Fall & winter. The cartridge holds about 10 each 1" bromine tabs. It's set at two unless I have heavier usage (Normally, my wife and I, sometimes my daughter and her friends).

I've had my Marquis since June 05 and I haven't noticed any difference yet in the weight of the cover.
As always, "Your mileage may vary". Even if I did have to replace the cover a year or two sooner, it would be worth it. Once I'm finished with my soak, I turn off the jets, close the cover and walk away. I don't have to throw in any chemicals and (hoping I don't forget) come back in 15 minutes to close the cover. If I'm out of town for a few days or a week, no problem. The tub will be fine.

pg_rider,
Keep an eye on it every few days and before you know it, you'll figure out the routine.  ;)

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 08:19:31 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42