What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Damn, Tub Talk has slowed down  (Read 5178 times)

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Damn, Tub Talk has slowed down
« on: October 08, 2008, 09:54:01 pm »
I've been a member here since 2004 and this is the slowest I've ever seen this site. Very few new people are talking about possible spa purchases. I'm assuming the economy has dramatically affected the Spa business.

How are the dealers doing out there with this lousy economy? I hope you are all hanging in there....
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 09:55:06 pm by Gomboman »
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Hot Tub Forum

Damn, Tub Talk has slowed down
« on: October 08, 2008, 09:54:01 pm »

Vanguard

Re: Damn, Tub Talk has slowed down
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 11:26:56 pm »
I heard from a pretty good source that Watkins is running at 30-40% of capacity.  I don't know exactly what that means as a percentage loss of sales, but I don't think that spells out a lot of spa sales.

Many swimming pool distributors that sell vinyl kits are off 30-40% this year.

In California, in 2006 there were over 60,000 pool permits pulled.  Last year there were around 40,000.  This year, the hope is that maybe there will be 20,000 pools built.  That really hurts.  I think those numbers will be somewhat similar to what is going on with hot tub sales as well.  Not as exact same numbers, but the same kind of ratios.

Watkins was going to take Caldera to the show in November, but apparently, they have pulled out now.  I spoke to one person I know at Watkins who has been there for over 20 years.  He said he has never seen a slow down like this before.

With the Dow now closer to 9,000, things don't look very good for a rebound anytime soon.   :'( :'(
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 11:28:36 pm by aquatub »
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 11:30:16 pm »
The last time someone started a thread about finding a new hot tub was on September 22nd. For a site called "What's the best hot tub", going more than two weeks without anyone asking "What's the best hot tub?" must be a bad sign.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 01:36:48 am »
I have been out doing this:

because we sure haven't been selling spas.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 10:43:01 am »
Service work has picked up by quite a bit that usually means people are fixing what they have instead of buying new. 5-10 years ago people did not want to spend too much on repairs they would go buy new, now more than ever they are repairing.

If we all quit spending then the economy goes in the tank so lets get out there and spend some money!

If you are more than 10-years from retirement you have no reason to worry about the recent stock market issues.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Water Boy

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 10:48:28 am »
Thats not sounding good Vanguard. Things havent gotton too bad here yet. We have still sold two this week, but it does seem like there are less people coming in asking about spas.

I have heard that pool and spa chemicals are expected to go up around 20% next year. People won't like that at all!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 10:48:56 am by Happy_Madison »
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Vanguard

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 11:32:04 am »
Thats not sounding good Vanguard. Things havent gotton too bad here yet. We have still sold two this week, but it does seem like there are less people coming in asking about spas.

I have heard that pool and spa chemicals are expected to go up around 20% next year. People won't like that at all!

From my understanding, Arch is implementing price increases of biguanides over 15%, chlorine tablets over 25% and algaecides upwards of 20%.  

BioLab is raising prices, but they are going to a dealer direct model, so the dealers might not be impacted as much as Arch dealers.  But yes, they are both going up in price significantly.  
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 11:34:26 am by aquatub »
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 11:42:58 am »
I know I'm probably going to keep my 5 year old tub going awhile.  The only way I'd buy a new one right now is if I move.  I bought a raffle ticket on a house. If I win that I could see selling the house with the tub and possibly new.  Maybe that really doesn't add to the sellability?  Any thoughts on that?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 11:51:51 am »

From my understanding, Arch is implementing price increases of biguanides over 15%, chlorine tablets over 25% and algaecides upwards of 20%.  

BioLab is raising prices, but they are going to a dealer direct model, so the dealers might not be impacted as much as Arch dealers.  But yes, they are both going up in price significantly.  
The problem with that is BioLab set up 5 dealers in a 10 mile radius of us then undercut us with product going to the box stores and internet.

I think they're in for a surpise when the prices go up. It will only incourage more overseas junk.

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 12:07:30 pm »
You are right about Arch, I am waiting to get our new pricing. We were also told we are having another increase in tub prices in January, we just had an increase in July.

Freight is still slamming us with fuel surcharges even though fuel costs are going down.

I did sell 3 tubs this week, but the market has changed since spring. Spring was the top dollar bells and whistles tubs, this fall has been the more basic tubs.

As Gary states, service work has been keeping us busy, people would rather invest in new pumps and control systems to get a few more years from their tubs.

To make up for the slow down of tub sales we added woodstoves to our floor this fall. We will see how that goes.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Chubby Johnson

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 04:30:34 pm »
The Emerald dealer close to where I live has slowed down so much that he had to go back to the job he had before his hot tub career.

gwstudios

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 04:41:12 pm »
The spa and rec room stores around here are ghost towns. The car dealerships are worse, our closest dealer has nine new Challengers on the lot and hasn't sold one since they arrived over two months ago. Not one. The plan was to inflate the sticker to over $50,000 like all dealers do with hot cars.

The market is off almost 700 today (again). I'm forseeing a worldwide meltdown within two weeks. The Dow should be down to about 5,000 by that time. Russia is blaming the US for the tidal wave effect our economy is causing around the world.

The next couple years aren't going to be fun and only the strongest companies will survive. My advice is to buy stock in alchohol and tobacco companies.

I can't figureout why Obama or McCain want to inherit this mess.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 05:59:16 pm »
My Morgan Stanley guy called this morning to see if I was still breathing...

He said if I had any extra cash to pay everything off and sit tight...
(I am sure he means opposed to investing it in stock)

My husband is working in Europe. He said that in each country that he visits the first thing people ask is who he believes is the best candidate for US president. He says it's amazing how the Europeans are following our election and how much they believe one person could make such a difference...I think it took lots of goofs to get us in this mess..NO ONE PERSON is going to get us out.. :-/
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 12:10:21 pm »
We just don't want all of you guys moving up here for the fresh air, healthcare and stable economy OK?  ;)

Steve

In Canada eh

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 05:22:35 pm »
We just don't want all of you guys moving up here for the fresh air, healthcare and stable economy OK?  ;)

Steve

;) :) ;)
Bullfrog 451

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 05:22:35 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42