What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cleaning the Cover  (Read 6671 times)

brewski

• When in doubt bathe naked!!!
Cleaning the Cover
« on: September 29, 2008, 08:42:14 am »
Well it's time once again to give my hot tub cover a good cleaning. In the past I've used lukewarm water with a mild soap such as a dish washing soap. Is that okay to use? Any better suggestions out there?

Hot Tub Forum

Cleaning the Cover
« on: September 29, 2008, 08:42:14 am »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Cleaning the Cover
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 07:42:41 am »
Brewski,  I used Tide laundry detergent the last time I scrubbed my cover..don't know if that is a bad thing, maybe someone will comment but it did a great job.  My cover gets very dusty, so I have to wash it pretty often. As soon as it dries, I use 303 to protect it from UV damage.

My cover is almost 3 years old and it looks great, inside and out.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

brewski

• When in doubt bathe naked!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 09:42:38 am »
Bonibelle,

Thanks for he suggestion. My wife asked me if saddle soap would be a good idea and I said I would throw it out here for discussion and see what kind of feedback I got.

I did notice that I probably put this original post on the wrong board (s/b on Hot Tub Forum) and wonder if the moderator could possibly move it to the correct one for me?

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 10:35:26 pm »
Lets see if anyone knows anything about using saddle soap. In my experience, saddle soap is for leather. The 303 is specifically for the vinyl used on the covers.

gwstudios

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 11:25:18 pm »
I cleaned mine today with dish soap and a push broom for a scrub brush, came out beautiful. It's been very cool at night and I've been losing two inches of water per night so I had to put the cover on.

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 07:44:04 am »
I’m thinking dish soap and laundry detergent may be a little too harsh. I’m sure they both would clean really well, though.  I know you shouldn’t use dish soap for a car, because it will remove any wax you may have applied.  Maybe you could find something mild at the auto supplies store.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 07:44:42 am by Mr._Bubbles »
It's all about da bubbles!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 11:18:50 am »
I've used saddle soap for years and it works great! Simple green with a soft bristle brush works pretty good also.

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 11:21:42 am »
Saddle soap is recommended by some of the cover companies. If you use regular soap, make sure to rinse the side toward the water really well. Applying 303 will help protect the cover and make the next cleaning easier.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Elmo

• Optima 2008
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 10:07:12 pm »
Do you apply 303 to the underside of the cover or just the outside?

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 11:56:43 pm »
I only put it on the outside..but maybe I am only doing half the job???  :-/...

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 10:13:50 am »
Just the outside, you don't want 303 to get into the hot tub water. Sorry if that was confusing! I clean the underside with mild cleaner and rinse well. If you read a Cal Cover warrenty, they require you to use saddle soap quite frequently or it voids your warrenty???!!!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 10:15:58 am by Hillbilly_Hot_Tub »
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 12:46:17 pm »
I use 303 on every part of the cover, topsides and underneath.  Have had zero problems with water because of it...wouldn't expect any either since it is coated on the cover and not introduced into the water.  I believe it helps protect the vinyl underneath from ozone and chem drying.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 12:46:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42