What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: electrical question  (Read 4851 times)

gtp

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
electrical question
« on: August 11, 2008, 08:04:38 am »
Just need a little clarification for electrical hook up.  Up here in MD, we had a metal disconnect box with GFIC switch (as oppose to the GFIC in the main electrical box.).  The electrician in FL where we're moving says he can put in a plastic disconnect box that has a pull out fuse, and put the GFIC in the main electrical box.  Would the GFIC in the main box increase the possibility of tripping?  Also, he said that because the disconnect box is plastic, it does not have to be 5 ft away from the spa.  Thoughts?

Hot Tub Forum

electrical question
« on: August 11, 2008, 08:04:38 am »

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
Re: electrical question
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 10:26:13 am »
The distance from the spa is so you cannot sit in the spa and turn the breaker on and off (remember these codes are set up to protect the morons).

If the GFCI is in the main the longer distance could possibly cause nuisance tripping if it was over 100'.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 03:04:48 pm »
He's dead wrong about the plastic box not needing to be at least  5' from the spa.............in fact, this is something SO WRONG, I'd consider finding another electrician.

The biggest disadvantage to having the GFI in the house is that if you ever need service you will HAVE to be there, or arrange access to the GFI for the service tech.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 01:23:05 am »
A plastic box can be closer to the spa than 5 feet as long as you use plastic fuses and a plastic circuit breaker in the main box. This way you would not have any threat of shock. Now if you want electricty for your tub any box will need to be greater than 5 feet from the tub.

Scott  :o
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 11:18:23 am »
The reason for the quick disconnect is that in an emergency a person or guest can see how to shut down power quickly. Like said earlier the 5 foot rule is to make sure you are not in a tub of water when you flip the switch. My quick disconnect is 9 feet from the tub in case an NBA player drops by for a soak ( i kid, i kid). It is next to my rear yard gate so if you entered the back yard via the gate you will walk right in front of it. This said however my switch is only in plain site when you sit on the right side of the tub. While on the left side it is out of line of sight, so I could post a sign that reads "EMERGENCY SHUT OFF" on the corner of the house and everyone would know where to find it. The intent is in case of emergency that your guests know how to power down. Don't know if this helped at all.

Scott  8-)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Tailhooker

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 12:54:02 pm »
The reason for the quick disconnect is that in an emergency a person or guest can see how to shut down power quickly. Like said earlier the 5 foot rule is to make sure you are not in a tub of water when you flip the switch. My quick disconnect is 9 feet from the tub in case an NBA player drops by for a soak ( i kid, i kid). It is next to my rear yard gate so if you entered the back yard via the gate you will walk right in front of it. This said however my switch is only in plain site when you sit on the right side of the tub. While on the left side it is out of line of sight, so I could post a sign that reads "EMERGENCY SHUT OFF" on the corner of the house and everyone would know where to find it. The intent is in case of emergency that your guests know how to power down. Don't know if this helped at all.

Scott  8-)
Is there a max distance away that it can be, does it have to be inside 15 ft or less or is that just a recommendation?

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 01:03:14 pm »
The code here reads "No closer than 5 ft from water and no further than 25 ft within veiw of the spa."

In Canada eh

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 04:59:06 pm »
The code here reads "No closer than 5 ft from water and no further than 25 ft within veiw of the spa."

As Stuart has pointed out codes change pending what province or state you live in.  Here in Ontario the GFCI must be no closer then 5 feet but no further the 15 feet.  Also it must be within plain sight of the tub.

Your best bet would be to contact your local ESA/building dept. and ask them for the code in your area
Bullfrog 451

gowyn

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 09:56:37 am »
So the GFCI can be in the main panel inside the house and a shut off can be outside near the tub, is that right?

I know in my case that's what I did but the shut off is only four feet from the tub.

As Stuart has pointed out codes change pending what province or state you live in.  Here in Ontario the GFCI must be no closer then 5 feet but no further the 15 feet.  Also it must be within plain sight of the tub.

Your best bet would be to contact your local ESA/building dept. and ask them for the code in your area

gtp

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 11:06:33 am »
Thanks for the replies.  This guy is a licensed electrician and seemed firm that due to the plastic box and fuse, it could be within 5 ft. (in Merritt Island, FL)  Not that we would ever mess with it inside the tub.  It would solve the problem of locating the disconnect box since it could come straight down from the top of side of the house (one story) for easy access.  Otherwise we'd have to have the conduit and box 5 ft away and 7 ft high or pay extra to have it come down and go back up.  We're waiting for a new filter before we fill it up and get the electrical hooked up, so no hurry.  I'll check with him again.  Rather be sure that sorry. Also seemed it was cheaper having the plastic box and fuse pull out than the metal box with switch.  It was over $800 for hoop up in MD vice $500 plus in FL.  Distance is about the same from the main box.  Plus, materials are more expensive now vice 5 years ago.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 11:17:23 am »
So the GFCI can be in the main panel inside the house and a shut off can be outside near the tub, is that right?

I know in my case that's what I did but the shut off is only four feet from the tub.

Four feet from the tub or four feet from the water? There is a difference and I've won that battle many times over the years.

BTW, the GFCI can be inside the house however, your more likely to cause a ground fault by putting the disconnect between the spa and GFCI and typically buying GFI breaker to match your panel is more expensive than just buying a disconnect with the GFI already in it.

Often people just put an air-conditioning pull out disconnect inline and I've had tons of problems with those over the last 20 years.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 12:06:17 pm by stuart »

gowyn

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 12:16:01 pm »
I'm four feet from the tub so further to the water.

I also put the a/c pullout in so if I have problems I know what to change.

I bought the Spa Kit with the box and breaker, just put the breaker in the panel.  Didn't make sense to me to have to buy another 50A breaker for the panel then go out to the sub panel with the 50A GFCI.

Anyway, we'll see how it works out.  No big deal to change it if need be.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 12:16:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42