What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Any risk to leaving hot tub empty in the heat?  (Read 4945 times)

guyplayeur

Any risk to leaving hot tub empty in the heat?
« on: July 30, 2008, 12:33:54 am »
I'm leaving town for 10 days and was figuring that to save electricity, I'd pick just before I leave as a good time to do a water change.  So I'd drain it before I go and then re-fill upon return.

It can get close to 100 degrees where I live, and I'm assuming it might get even hotter under the cover while I'm gone.  Might I risk any damage to the shell surface while I'm gone if it's empty in that heat?  I would assume not, but if anyone would know, this forum would.

I also figure I could just shut the power down and leave the water in until I get back, but with the ozonator off I wonder if that might cause the water to get funky and that might be worse?

It's a 2007 HS Sovereign.  Thanks in advance for any recommendations you can offer up!

-sam

Hot Tub Forum

Any risk to leaving hot tub empty in the heat?
« on: July 30, 2008, 12:33:54 am »

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Re: Any risk to leaving hot tub empty in the heat?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 01:52:42 am »
If it was me I would drain the tub when you get back home. Turn your heater down to 80 degrees and put it in summer mode. The heater won't kick in during the summer at 80...........
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 10:44:51 am »
I would agree with the Goboman. Turn it down, put it in Summer Mode and change water when you get back.

I don't know for sure that there would be a problem with the temp, however, if the cover were to blow open, or be left open by a well-meaning friend (or some evil being) you could have a problem.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

guyplayeur

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 01:59:49 pm »
Good stuff, both of you.  A much better suggestion.  Didn't even know I had a Summer Mode.  I guess it would help if I read the dang manual once in a while...

-sam

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 01:59:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42