What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: MURKEY WATER Ewwww  (Read 7391 times)

benalexe

MURKEY WATER Ewwww
« on: July 08, 2008, 07:45:25 pm »
I had not been in my tub since Saturday.

I opened the tub today and the water was cloudy and merkey.  First time I had this issue since I have had the tub.

The only thing that I did different was to clean the filters with filter cleaner.

To rectify the probelm I put in 2 oz of dichlor,  Water clarifier, and a little PH up.

I did a water test and the levels were pretty good before I added anything.

The only reading that was off was the stabilizer.  (not even sure how to increase stabalizer)

Now the tub is running all pumps to circulate the water. I have the cover open. The kids wanted to go in but I would not let them go in the merk.

Any ideas why this happened?  What to do? How to prevent it from happening again?

Hot Tub Forum

MURKEY WATER Ewwww
« on: July 08, 2008, 07:45:25 pm »

Spiderman

Re: MURKEY WATER Ewwww
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 09:20:03 pm »
Sounds like low or no sanitizer.  This is the only time our tub goes cloudy:  we don't go in it for a couple of days, for whatever reason, and if we don't go out and throw some dichlor in we get a cess pool.
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

benalexe

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 09:22:13 pm »
Okay so what do I do?  I just went out there and it is still Murky.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 10:09:19 pm »
Add enough dichlor to reach a FC reading of 10ppm or higher, increase filtration, thoroughly rinse filter(s), and if it's still cloudy in the morning add a few ounces of clarifier.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 10:09:44 pm by WHY_NOT »

benalexe

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 10:12:11 pm »
I have the strips and it is on purple so I am assuming I added enough.

I guess it is just a wait and see.  No quick fix.

So at this point I do not need to empty the tub and refill right?

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 10:42:02 pm »
Yeah, it takes time. How old is your fill, what's the average bather load, and how often is it used?

benalexe

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 10:43:51 pm »
about 6 weeks.  the kids go in about 3 days a week. I too go in about 3 days a week.  Sometimes there are 5 kids in.

The only other change was the filters that i cleaned with the filter cleaner stuff.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 10:49:59 pm »
It definetly wouldn't hurt to do a refill. I know a few members here do an extra refill during the summer b/c their kids use it a lot more.

benalexe

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 05:30:29 am »
Any more advice here before I dump it?  Work up this morning and still the same. In addition it has a weird smell.

I dumped a little more dichlor in it.  Anything else?

Spiderman

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 07:24:47 am »
Nothing else you can do, but wait.  It will clear up, but it could take a few days.  Dumping and starting over is sometimes the easiest  8-)
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 07:45:14 am »
Another case for Chas' Law.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

snoopydance

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 08:27:25 am »
Ah yes. That's the one that says new owners should do a refill after the first month, right? I plan to be one of those VERY soon! The gravel bed got dug to a proper level yesterday, and the first layer (stone dust) is in. Today it gets levelled and I put down the weed block fabric. Tomorrow the pea gravel, then the border. This weekend we put the tub in position. Electrician is scheduled for next week.

I am sooooooo psyched!

Skellman

• There's more horses asses than there are horses!
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 10:30:23 am »
I had cloudy water a couple weeks ago. Turns out it wasn't the chemistry at all.

I too cleaned my filters a couple days before it happened. My problem was I didn't "purge" the filter when I put it back. Thus, there was an air pocket and basically the water wasn't being filtered.

Skellman

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 01:54:47 pm »
You should also check the bypass in the bottom of the filter housing if it has one. If the by-pass breaks, most of the water will bypass the filter and not get filtered causing yucky water.

Have kids rinse off feet ect before using the tub or it will always be hard to maintain water clarity.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 04:11:36 pm »
When in doubt, drain it out! 8-)
It's all about da bubbles!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 04:11:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42