What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Gravel pad advice wanted  (Read 14877 times)

snoopydance

Gravel pad advice wanted
« on: July 06, 2008, 10:42:38 am »
I live in Upstate New York (=cold winters). I have removed the sod from a 10x11 area for my 80"x84" hot tub. My plan was to put in a cubic yard of stone dust, compact it by machine, then staple down commercial-grade landscape fabric, then pea gravel. The tub will sit on top of the pea gravel. I plan to put 16" square pavers over the gravel for stepping stones around the tub.

My question is: do I need the stone dust layer? Everything I read talks about a compacted base. My soil seems to be pretty compacted on its own. Can I just lay down the landscape fabric and cover it with pea gravel?

My tub is just sitting in the driveway waiting for its base to be done...

Hot Tub Forum

Gravel pad advice wanted
« on: July 06, 2008, 10:42:38 am »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Re: Gravel pad advice wanted
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 12:06:07 pm »
If the earth where the spa is going to be placed hasn't been tampered with for a number of years, you should be ok without the 2nd layer of base. Now would it make it easier to level the pavers??...yes, it most likely would. Unless you have an Artic tub with the Forever Floor, you will have to most likely install a foundation that is a minimum of 4" thick for your spa to rest on for warranty purposes.

Since you're already installing the pavers around the tub, why not just cover the whole area and place the tub on top. This will give you a much stronger foundation and keep you from voiding your warranty.

Btw, if you do decide to cover the entire area with pavers, I'd suggest using crushed limestone for the base... installing it in 1''- 2'' layers, compacting it after each one. Then lay down atleast 1'' of sand, set your pavers, and then go over the entire finished-set patio with the vibrating tamping plate.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 12:14:57 pm by WHY_NOT »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 12:11:43 pm »
What kind of spa is it?  What brand and model?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

snoopydance

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 07:54:31 pm »
It's an Saratoga Spas Saranac, in the Adirondack line. Not common in your neck of the woods.It's a 2003, gently worn model.  :)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 08:58:40 pm »
If the earth where the spa is going to be placed hasn't been tampered with for a number of years, you should be ok without the 2nd layer of base. Now would it make it easier to level the pavers??...yes, it most likely would. Unless you have an Artic tub with the Forever Floor, you will have to most likely install a foundation that is a minimum of 4" thick for your spa to rest on for warranty purposes.

Since you're already installing the pavers around the tub, why not just cover the whole area and place the tub on top. This will give you a much stronger foundation and keep you from voiding your warranty.

Btw, if you do decide to cover the entire area with pavers, I'd suggest using crushed limestone for the base... installing it in 1''- 2'' layers, compacting it after each one. Then lay down atleast 1'' of sand, set your pavers, and then go over the entire finished-set patio with the vibrating tamping plate.

This just seems like so much more work than a simple slab. It could be me.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

snoopydance

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 11:34:55 pm »
Chad's suggestion does seem like a lot of work.  But the price I got from one guy for a concrete pad was over $1200! So I'm going the gravel route. My pavers aren't being installed as much as they are just resting atop the gravel, about 8 of them around the perimeter of the tub on two sides. (The landscape guy assures me they'll be steady.) I just have to figure out whether I need the layer of stone dust beneath.

Trying to get everything in place with the money I got from selling my boat.... Hot tubbing on a shoestring!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 12:05:02 am »
You should be fine.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

BauerN

• "...to feel is to believe."
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 06:41:03 pm »
From a tech with a previous life in highway construction/sand & gravel:

1.  You should be fine without the stone dust (as long as your soil doesn't have too high of a clay content - i.e. it should be sandy).

2.  I always recommend a minimum of 4 inches of gravel to start.  Although it won't void every warranty if it's less - that's manufacturer specific.  Call Saratoga if you need to.

3.  Try not to use pea gravel - use a more appropriate material.  I build with 3/4" crushed rock.  Problem with pea gravel:  it's too round - therefore does not compact the way you want it to.  Crushed rock (1/2" or 3/4") is my recommendation.  This is because it is more angular, and will allow induvidual pieces of material to "lock together" - as opposed to round pea gravel, which will slip.
Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 07:01:06 pm »
From a tech with a previous life in highway construction/sand & gravel:

1.  You should be fine without the stone dust (as long as your soil doesn't have too high of a clay content - i.e. it should be sandy).

2.  I always recommend a minimum of 4 inches of gravel to start.  Although it won't void every warranty if it's less - that's manufacturer specific.  Call Saratoga if you need to.

3.  Try not to use pea gravel - use a more appropriate material.  I build with 3/4" crushed rock.  Problem with pea gravel:  it's too round - therefore does not compact the way you want it to.  Crushed rock (1/2" or 3/4") is my recommendation.  This is because it is more angular, and will allow induvidual pieces of material to "lock together" - as opposed to round pea gravel, which will slip.

Trap Rock would work and it is a nice light blue-green color.  I used it for the base of my shed, it packs really well.
It's all about da bubbles!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 07:01:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42