What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub Toys  (Read 5732 times)

spalader

Hot Tub Toys
« on: June 24, 2008, 08:47:02 pm »
Ok, we just had our Marquis Epic delivered with the electrician coming tomorrow.  My wife went out and bought pool toys for the kids to use in the hot tub.  Should I be worried.  Are these things ok in the hot tub?

One toy is 'water bomb balls' - foam type material, filled with polyester fiber and  urethane foam material that will soak up water.  They are about 5" in diamter.  The other is your standard hard plastic creatures, about 4" long,  that sink to the bottom and a net to catch them in as they sink.   They are meant for pools.  

Will these kind of things cause any maintenance headaches?  Anyone else have pool toys in their hot tub?  Any issues?

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub Toys
« on: June 24, 2008, 08:47:02 pm »

wewannahottub

• Time for your Sponge Bath!
Re: Hot Tub Toys
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 09:39:39 pm »
IMHO, I think the reason they are called POOL toys is they are for a POOL.  I don't have a spa yet, but my two 9 year olds have already been warned, this is not a pool.  They will not be diving for dive sticks, floating on floats (unless absolutely neccessary for seating height) or other toys.  I would be concerned about intake valves and injuries, with kids jumping around and over each other, etc.  They also know we have a pool for that reason--to jump around and play with water toys.  

Just my $0.02 worth.  
The grass is greener on the other side because the bulls**t is better...

Renee

• '07 Jacuzzi J-365 in Nebraska
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 09:25:10 am »
The only "toy" we have allowed in our hot tub are the floating ducks that light up.  We didn't want anything getting stuck in the intake valves, or anyone diving for things on the bottom.  Now that we've had our hot tub for almost a year, the ducks don't even make it out to the tub anymore....the newness has kind of worn off.

d8

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 01:36:20 pm »
Kids and water and toys are a natural combination. I wouldn't be keen on repressing fun since I'm just a big kid myself.

The water bomb things might end up stuck on an intake and cause a problem, but solid plastic toys probably not.

Just remember to remove ALL toys before changing filters, draining, etc.

Catnip King of Montana. (and independant tech)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 08:37:06 pm »
I had a duck that squirted water until it broke, I was also warned here about the bacteria it may breed.

I can't speak for others but I don't see a problem with soft water toys, my tub has some large intake screens; as long as you head the advice of take them out before you replace filters.

Goggles & snorkle are probably OK, after all it can be a swirling mysterious place to explore.

No glass, no diving or jumping.

TWO OF THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECTS - NEVER LEAVE YOUR CHILDREN UNATTENDED & SMALL CHILDREN'S BODIES CAN'T REGULATE HEAT THE WAY ADULTS CAN.

Just remember there is a lot less water in a tub than a pool, using toys may be fun but depending on what they land on (dirt and stuff) they may screw up your water.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 08:37:54 pm by Vinny »

benalexe

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 08:49:17 pm »
my hot tub is a small pool for my family or a big kiddie pool depending on how you look at it.  I have no problem with most toys.  The kids wanted to bring in water balloons and I told them no. I did not want them to get stuck in the skimmer or the water intakes.

I have no plans on getting a pool so the tub will do my family just fine.   The tub in a lot of ways is much more diverse.  Last Sunday the weather sucked.  Overcast, cool, cloudy.  Wound not have swam in a pool but it was perfect HT weather.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 09:51:32 pm »
When the temps outside are 90's, with close to 100% humidity the last thing I want to do is go into a 100º + tub.

There is nothing more enjoyable than a jump in a pool with the sun beating overhead, temps in the 90's and water temps 84º or so ... and I hate "cold" water OR a soak in 102º water when it's in the 20's  ... I haven't soaked in a snowfall yet!

Everyone's different but for me, pools & tubs don't serve the same pupose. 80's water is cold but can be refreshing on hot, muggy days; even on those days there are times that I get too cold because of the breeze I have in my backyard. Any water below 100 in my tub is just not cutting it for a relaxing soak. My wife on the other hand probably could sit in the tub at about 98 or 99 forever; as for the pool she usually waits for the one day the pool water is above 90º. ;D Although she has used the pool 3 or 4 times already!!!

benalexe

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 10:16:09 pm »
Vinny I don't disagree with you but I don't have plans on getting a pool right now.   Given the choice between a HT and pool i would take the HT.

The tub is not refreshing when it is 90 degrees and muggy.

Last time it was like that I sat on a garden chair while the kids were in the tub and I had the hose spraying them with cold water. They had a blast and it was fun for me too.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 07:57:24 am »
Spatechs love hot tub toys don't they?  They are a prime source of flow problems and easy service calls.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 08:40:26 am »

I was always warned to ensure that toys and such should not be able to trap water (squirtguns, rubber ducks with squeakers for example  ) as trapped, stagnant water can be a breeding ground for bacteria,  espicially so with the hot water in spas.  
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 08:42:00 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Renee

• '07 Jacuzzi J-365 in Nebraska
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 11:37:30 am »

I was always warned to ensure that toys and such should not be able to trap water (squirtguns, rubber ducks with squeakers for example  ) as trapped, stagnant water can be a breeding ground for bacteria,  espicially so with the hot water in spas.  

We make sure to only buy the ducks without the hole in the bottom for that reason.  Sometimes hard to find, but they're out there.  My favorite duck is a pink one we bought at Linens N Things for breast cancer awareness.  The lights in it change just like the lights in our Jacuzzi....pretty cool.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 11:37:59 am by rnblase »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 02:08:39 pm »
Renee, I have that same duck and looked for more but had no luck. How long ago did you purchase it? I wanted one for the girl that sold me my tub.

Thanks,
Boni
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 05:39:08 pm »
Renee, I have that same duck and looked for more but had no luck. How long ago did you purchase it? I wanted one for the girl that sold me my tub.

Thanks,
Boni
Boni,
 right now there are 60 of them on Ebay. Just do a search for "breast cancer rubber duck"

Good Luck,
Scott  ;)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 05:39:38 pm by Swell-Tub »
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008, 06:11:20 pm »
Boni,
 right now there are 60 of them on Ebay. Just do a search for "breast cancer rubber duck"

Good Luck,
Scott  ;)

Ya know, that's the problem in America ... something that's supposed to be for the right reason and the profits hopefully being sent to the correct cause gets twisted for people to make a buck.

It's a shame it's like that.

But hey, people sold the Brooklyn Bridge to unsuspecting people years ago.

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 11:27:18 pm »
Ya know, that's the problem in America ... something that's supposed to be for the right reason and the profits hopefully being sent to the correct cause gets twisted for people to make a buck.

It's a shame it's like that.

But hey, people sold the Brooklyn Bridge to unsuspecting people years ago.
I don't think it's just about raising money. It is also about awareness. Pink ribbons always remind people about breast cancer and the need to find a cure. But look at it this way you could buy all the pink rubber duckies and sell them. You could then give the proceeds to the breast cancer people.
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 11:27:18 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42