What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Just a Thought as to Why My Tub is Completely Dead  (Read 4193 times)

bohms

• 2006 Artesian Piper Glen
Just a Thought as to Why My Tub is Completely Dead
« on: June 02, 2008, 03:59:39 pm »
We were in the tub Wednesday night everything was great.  Saturday morning it was completely dead.  Thursday afternoon we had a wicked thunderstorm move through the area.  Lightening struck a tree directly across  the street from our tub (loudest thunder we ever heard in our lives accompanied it....not relevant, just thought I would throw it in there).  My neighbor's 2 TV's were fried, one zone of their thermostat, and their phones were shot.  Could this have anything to do with our tub being completely dead?  From the error code, Artesian headquarters seems to think that our spa pack is shot.  Thoughts?   :-/

Hot Tub Forum

Just a Thought as to Why My Tub is Completely Dead
« on: June 02, 2008, 03:59:39 pm »

Mr._Bubbles

• Tiger River Bengal-HP
Re: Just a Thought as to Why My Tub is Completely
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 04:29:46 pm »
I’m not a spa tech, but it sounds like it may have been related.
It's all about da bubbles!

loosenupspas

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 05:56:09 pm »
First is there power to your tub?  If there is no juice, think about your GFI may have blown up.  Second check your fuses, system and 30 ampers.  The board gets fried in a storm it is possible.  Go through a process of elimination, with the last problem being the board.  

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 06:01:07 pm »
We were in the tub Wednesday night everything was great.  Saturday morning it was completely dead.  Thursday afternoon we had a wicked thunderstorm move through the area.  Lightening struck a tree directly across  the street from our tub (loudest thunder we ever heard in our lives accompanied it....not relevant, just thought I would throw it in there).  My neighbor's 2 TV's were fried, one zone of their thermostat, and their phones were shot.  Could this have anything to do with our tub being completely dead?  From the error code, Artesian headquarters seems to think that our spa pack is shot.  Thoughts?   :-/

It actually may be HIGHLY likely.  The normal GFCI and other systems are designed to protect your tub from the power grid.  When lightning strikes structures near your tub, it can also travel across the ground (rather than through the wires as is normally the case).  Since the current from the stike goes directly from the ground to your tub, your electronics could EASILY get zapped.  This is pretty common in homes that get struck by lightning.  Current travels through the nails in the walls and then "hops" over to the TV (never even going through the outlet) and 'POP', blown tube
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

bohms

• 2006 Artesian Piper Glen
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 11:41:53 am »
It's not the GFI, my husband checked that.  The light panel is on but nothing else works.  Fuses are fine too.  

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 01:07:52 pm »
 Pretty sure its the circuit board at this point, could be wrong!  :)    I am also fairly sure it was a power surge that somehow fried your board.    After we had a few power outages from a major wind storm here last winter we replaced a few.   Specially where the customer had blinking outages. Power on power off ect,ect and the breakers never tripped.

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 12:50:46 pm »
Last summer we had 10 tubs in one small town that had the control system fried due to close by lightning strikes. Some of them it also took out the topsides and pumps. One of the had a direct strike that blew a hole right through the acrylic.

What a mess! Many insurance reps to deal with!
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 12:50:46 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42