What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: So thats the difference? (in spas & hot tubs)  (Read 2537 times)

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
So thats the difference? (in spas & hot tubs)
« on: May 30, 2008, 11:49:49 pm »

[size=16]Spas are easier to maintain than hot tubs[/size]
By Morris and James Carey / Associated Press
May 24, 2008

Question: We want to put in a spa or a hot tub. I thought that they were one and the same until we began to shop. What's the difference?

Answer: Hot tubs are wooden barrels, and spas are fiberglass shells covered with acrylic or other plastic materials. However, some hot tubs have acrylic liners and some spas are free-standing with wood skirts.

Tubs and spas have other basic differences, too -- maintenance, durability, operation and overall appearance. Tubs have a rustic and natural appearance; they blend well with decks, gardens and patios. They are, however, harder to clean and maintain than spas because of the texture of the wood and the angles and corners that are typical in their design.

Spas present more design options than hot tubs and are available in a broad range of colors. Their hard, smooth surfaces make them easier to clean. Support equipment and installation are similar, and both are available as free-standing packages or as separate components that require assembly. In either case, most building departments will require a permit for installation. And be prepared for additional installation expense and maintenance costs.

There are some costs you may not be aware of. You will need at least one additional 110-volt electrical circuit (maybe 220v). Make sure your present electrical system can handle whatever is required. Also, some communities require a fence around the area, and most will require a lock on all gates. A fence is important: It protects both neighborhood children and you. Your electrical bill can easily jump by $50 per month or more. And you must chemically treat the water regularly.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080524/LIVING02/805240313/1007/LIVING

Hot Tub Forum

So thats the difference? (in spas & hot tubs)
« on: May 30, 2008, 11:49:49 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: So thats the difference? (in spas & hot tubs)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 02:05:18 am »
[size=16]Spas are easier to maintain than hot tubs[/size]
By Morris and James Carey / Associated Press
May 24, 2008

REALLY?????? I've never had to polish or wax my HOT TUB, nor do I EVER get hard water or mineral deposits.

Answer: Hot tubs are wooden barrels, and spas are fiberglass shells covered with acrylic or other plastic materials. However, some hot tubs have acrylic liners and some spas are free-standing with wood skirts.

WTF? These boy are getting senile! So, any plastic spa, with a wood skirt is actually a hot tub? What about synthetic wood?..ummm, what's a HotSpring Spa? There's no fiberglass, and with a synthetic cabinet  ;D ;D ?

Tubs and spas have other basic differences, too -- maintenance, durability, operation and overall appearance. Tubs have a rustic and natural appearance; they blend well with decks, gardens and patios. They are, however, harder to clean and maintain than spas because of the texture of the wood and the angles and corners that are typical in their design.

Nope, not true. I've never done anything but drain and refill my hot tub. I couldn't imagine having to scrub it out with, windex? Or polish/wax the surface. Never is there any water sitting on the benches I have to fight with to get out.

Spas present more design options than hot tubs and are available in a broad range of colors. Their hard, smooth surfaces make them easier to clean.

And easier for unattractive scratches and staining and mineral deposits with that smooth surface.

If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

Re: So thats the difference? (in spas & hot tubs)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 02:05:18 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42