What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Pump / Motor troubleshooting help needed  (Read 4646 times)

langetr1955

Pump / Motor troubleshooting help needed
« on: May 20, 2008, 10:08:45 pm »
I need help diagnosing a pump / motor problem.   You folks have been a tremendous help in the past and I hope you can come through again.  

I have a 2003 Sweetwater Bahia spa.  The spa has two main pumps and one circulation pump.  The problem pump is the two speed pump, which is also the "every eight hour" kick on in low speed pump.  

Anyhoo - about three times in the past few months, the pump doesn't turn on, in either speed.  It just hums for about 15 seconds and then shuts off.  Some sort of protection is probably turning the motor off.  Each time the motor wouldn't turn, I took a pliers and gently rotated the shaft.  It moved back anf forth without requiring much force.  Next time I turned the pump on, it ran fine.  I added a little bit of lubricating oil around the shaft and it works okay for a few weeks.  Then it gets stuck again.  

I've read of seal problems.  I've never replaced seals but I also don't have any water leaking onto the floor of the motor compartment.  I wonder if it's more likely the motor or more likely the wet end, (impeller and such)?  Do these types of motors/pumps get repaired or just replaced?   I see the replacement cost for a new pump is pretty high.   Of course, replacement would be my last resort.  

Here are some specifics on the pump.  

2003 Sweetwater Bahia  
Pump Model:   6500-261
Continuous       2.5HP
60Hz
3450/1725 RPM
230 volts
Manufacturer:   AO Smith

Any advice you could provide would be appreciated.  

Thanks, -- tim

Hot Tub Forum

Pump / Motor troubleshooting help needed
« on: May 20, 2008, 10:08:45 pm »

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
Re: Pump / Motor troubleshooting help needed
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 01:31:23 pm »
It sounds like you have a bad start capasitor. The pump shutting down after it hums a bit is becasue it is going into thermal overload.

Compare it to a car starter that has a bad spot, sometimes it gets into that spot that it wont start, keep jumping it around and you may find a spot that will. (this is the best analogy i could think of ::)

A bad impella would usually make a racket when the pump does run, seals usually leak and by the sounds hand spinning the shaft seems to be ok, so I would suggest a capisitor. They are not that exspensive.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

cparlf

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 05:20:56 pm »
I have the EXACT same symptoms on my 2006 optima; started last night.  I called the service desk at the dealer, no one home.  I will go home tonight and see if your suggestion to get her running works.  

Cheap Engineer

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 05:48:09 pm »
I just had the two speed motor rebuilt in my 2002 Bahia.  The shaft seal wore out and leaked back down the shaft and started to mess up the bearings.  I knew the shaft seal was going bad because I was losing water but it was the middle of the winter.  3 months later the bearings were screaming.  The local pump shop put in new seals, impeller and bearings.  About $150 all told.   I think the motor is quieter now then when it was new.  It does sound like you have a bad start cap.  I would take the pump out and have a pump rebuilder take a look at it.  They'll let you know what you need to get it fixed.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 05:48:09 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42