What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How soon does water go bad if using just dichlor?  (Read 4334 times)

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
How soon does water go bad if using just dichlor?
« on: May 16, 2008, 06:22:18 pm »
If you have a 375 gallon tub and u don't use it for say a week how soon will water get smelly and cloudy if you don't put dicholor in it?  I usually put dichlor in every other day but somedays I miss and the tub might go 2-3 days without any added dichlor and without me removing the cover at all.  Then after 2-3 days when I open the cover the water smells really bad and is cloudy.. is this normal?

Hot Tub Forum

How soon does water go bad if using just dichlor?
« on: May 16, 2008, 06:22:18 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: How soon does water go bad if using just dichl
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 07:50:56 pm »
Yep it's normal for some of us. I have gone longer than 2 days but it was becuse of 1 of 2 reasons - shocked the tub to 10+ PPM and chlorine lock. I am amazed that there are some people who can go a week or more without adding dichlor.

My water will only last 2 days tops before getting cloudy ... one of the best reasons for using bromine. But if you use the tub a lot dichlor is easy and efficient.

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 09:56:40 pm »
Many people tend to "over-chlorinatabout 10 days...
I have noticed that a lot of people tend to "over-chlorinate" their tubs.  Use only a couple tablespoons after each hot tubbin session and you can go for about 10 days without any additional maintenance and the water will still be in balance (Of course at that point there is little if any chlorine left but that is OK too).  

The PRIMARY requirement is correctly balanced water.  I have noticed that in the past the water would have high chlorination levels but still "smelled funny" every once in a while.  In each case, it was always related to the PH and Alkaline levels being out of whack.  So, in short.... it might not be the chlorine levels, it could be bacis chemistry.  As far as duration between changes (which I thought this was about when I first read the title), I have gone about 9 months without needing a water change using "just" dichlor and no MPS
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 09:58:22 pm by ndabunka »
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 10:48:55 pm »
I agree with Ndabunka.  My experience has been almost exactly the same as his. (Except I haven't tried to go 9 mos w/o a water change!)  I do find that my water can last about 5 mos if the change time hits in the middle of the winter or I am very busy.  I am pretty good about checking my pH and alk levels too, which I think really helps.  Although I have both dichlor and MPS, I usually use only dichlor along with an N2 cartridge and ozone.  I was very satisfied using bromine in my old tub, but the dichlor has really worked out for me with the new one.
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Spiderman

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 10:20:28 am »
On the third day after not adding any dichlor, our water will be cloudy and stinky.  We use our tub every day, so it's not an issue for us; however, there have been times due to weather or our schedules that we don't use it for a couple of days.  If I don't get out there and add some dichlor, the water will go bad on the third day.
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 10:32:02 am »
If you have a 375 gallon tub and u don't use it for say a week how soon will water get smelly and cloudy if you don't put dicholor in it?  I usually put dichlor in every other day but somedays I miss and the tub might go 2-3 days without any added dichlor and without me removing the cover at all.  Then after 2-3 days when I open the cover the water smells really bad and is cloudy.. is this normal?
If you let your chlorine levels drop to low, stuff will grow and that is what smells. You could go weeks if the chlorine level does not drop or a day if there is gunk in the water chewing up the chlorine. You must keep the chlorine levels in check
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 12:13:46 pm »
I have been fighting cloudy and stinky water for weeks now.

I had chlorine lock and the water was lasting a week and something happened to unlock the chlorine.

I found this out 3 weeks ago put a lot of dichlor in and got busy and "forgot" about the tub, happened again last week and again this week. I hate being that busy/forgetful.

I was hoping not to open the tub today to a smelly cloudy mess - hope doesn't cut it but dichlor does! ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 12:13:46 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42