What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cover coming apart at the center seam--yikes!  (Read 13185 times)

kervis

• runnergirl
Cover coming apart at the center seam--yikes!
« on: March 30, 2008, 06:08:11 am »
My cover will only be 2 years old in July.  I have a Cover lifter--the one that has the 2 shocks.  I have used a spa blanket from day one.  I am assuming there is no warranty, but heck, this is not cover abuse.  It is literally coming apart at the seam.  Is there a way to fix this?  I would be outraged if I had to buy a new cover--it's like new!
2005 HS Vanguard

Hot Tub Forum

Cover coming apart at the center seam--yikes!
« on: March 30, 2008, 06:08:11 am »

Cyn

Re: Cover coming apart at the center seam--yikes!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 10:02:02 am »
Coming apart how?  Sewn area is rotting that held the seam together?  The underside?  Outside?  

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 10:10:10 am »
What brand spa?
What brand cover?
What brand and model lifter?

My guess is you have prongs under the seams and the shocks are putting too much upward pressure on the seams.  If you bought the set up from a dealer with a new spa you might have some recourse with them.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Micah

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 12:22:02 pm »
Kervis,

Before you get "outraged" I would hope you take an honest look at your own actions.  Chemicals!!!  The most common cause for a cover falling apart is consumer error.  In fact the most common cause for all problems with a spa is chemical damage.  Take an honest look at the history of your water chemistry.  Has your P.H. been to high on a regular basis?  Did your T/A drop to low? Are you floating Tabs?  Are you buying less expensive chemicals from a mass merchant?
  If you honestly look at your own actions, you will normally find the problem.

Micah.
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 12:24:17 pm »
What brand spa?
What brand cover?
What brand and model lifter?

My guess is you have prongs under the seams and the shocks are putting too much upward pressure on the seams.  If you bought the set up from a dealer with a new spa you might have some recourse with them.

I have a 2005 Hotspring Vanguard.

I have the Hotspring cover.

I have the Covercradle lifter that attaches to the sides of the cover.  There is no bar.

These were all purchased brand new and installed in July 2006.

The main seam is affected.  I can stick my finger through and see it on the other side.  Any pressure and some more stitches come unraveled.  It did not start at either end.  It is coming apart in the middle.
2005 HS Vanguard

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 12:37:29 pm »
Your cover has a two year warranty.

The unique thing about the warranty is that since you have a Watkins lifter, you have a parts [glow]and labor[glow] warranty.  It is the only cover warranty that I know of that covers labor.

Call your dealer.  We like to have pictures emailed to us when we have these type of situations.

You should get a replacement cover.

Keep us posted.

Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 01:22:55 pm »
Kervis,

Before you get "outraged" I would hope you take an honest look at your own actions.  Chemicals!!!  The most common cause for a cover falling apart is consumer error.  In fact the most common cause for all problems with a spa is chemical damage.  Take an honest look at the history of your water chemistry.  Has your P.H. been to high on a regular basis?  Did your T/A drop to low? Are you floating Tabs?  Are you buying less expensive chemicals from a mass merchant?
  If you honestly look at your own actions, you will normally find the problem.

Micah.

I buy my chemicals from my dealer.  I keep my water in great condition. (come on over and test it any time!!)  I use dichlor.  

Even if my chems were horribly off, I would think the spa blanket would take the hit first.  

I appreciate your thoughts, as indeed, if the fault lies with me, I shall take responsibility.  

I put cover conditioner on regularly--that thing is babied!

Because of the above, I am confident it is just rotting thread or some cover error.

I have a message in at the dealer's.  I shall wait to hear a reply.  :)
2005 HS Vanguard

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 01:25:29 pm »
Your cover has a two year warranty.

The unique thing about the warranty is that since you have a Watkins lifter, you have a parts [glow]and labor[glow] warranty.  It is the only cover warranty that I know of that covers labor.

Call your dealer.  We like to have pictures emailed to us when we have these type of situations.

You should get a replacement cover.

Keep us posted.

This is good news!  I have a message in for when the dealer opens today.  I couldn't find any cover warranty info in my stack of papers, so this is just great!  Will let you know what happens.  :)

Thank you.
2005 HS Vanguard

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 02:29:05 pm »

This is good news!  I have a message in for when the dealer opens today.  I couldn't find any cover warranty info in my stack of papers, so this is just great!  Will let you know what happens.  :)

Thank you.

I  got a phone call from a nice man.  He asked me to email him some pictures that he then would email to the service guys who would then email them to Watkins, I presume.   He mentioned the warranty to me.  He said that once everyone looked at the pictures they would let me know what the decision would be!
2005 HS Vanguard

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 03:11:21 pm »
just maybe a faulty cover. Check with your dealer and give them a chance to handle it for you.

kervis

• runnergirl
UPDATE on cover seam hole
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 06:00:38 pm »
I love my dealer!   They sneak in, fix things, sneak out...It's pretty funny.  My back yard gate does not lock, so they have my permission to just enter and do their thing.  I had taken pictures of my cover and emailed them to the dealer.  A very nice young man unexpectedly showed up today.  I just happened to look out the window and see the company van in my driveway, then looked out back and there he was.  He replaced the skin only, not the foam.  He said that the dealer only gets partial reimbursement for replacements, so I could not have the whole new cover--just the skin.  I found that odd, but seeing as I didn't have a foam issue, I was fine with that story.  I checked out the foam while it was out of the skin, and I was pleased to see that it was still dry and looked great.  He flipped it for me as I mentioned that I had water puddling on both sides of the cover.
I immediately went out and applied 303 all over and life is good.  I look forward to several more years with my "new" cover!  :)  Once again, there was no charge to me at all.  I have a great dealer!!
2005 HS Vanguard

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 02:22:45 pm »
I wonder if I can buy a "skin" for my Jacuzzi 375.  It's a little over 6 years old now and the vinyl does seem to now be separating at two points (never did treat it with 303 until last year).  The foam in mine seems perfect as well so just the skin would make sense.  Looks like I need to reach out to my dealer and see if they can give me a price on that.  Maybe I should PM Jacuzzi Jim and buy it from him instead (to support the forum and all).
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 02:23:01 pm by ndabunka »
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
Re: UPDATE on cover seam hole
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 03:30:44 pm »
I love my dealer!   They sneak in, fix things, sneak out...It's pretty funny.  My back yard gate does not lock, so they have my permission to just enter and do their thing.  I had taken pictures of my cover and emailed them to the dealer.  A very nice young man unexpectedly showed up today.  I just happened to look out the window and see the company van in my driveway, then looked out back and there he was.  He replaced the skin only, not the foam.  He said that the dealer only gets partial reimbursement for replacements, so I could not have the whole new cover--just the skin.  I found that odd, but seeing as I didn't have a foam issue, I was fine with that story.  I checked out the foam while it was out of the skin, and I was pleased to see that it was still dry and looked great.  He flipped it for me as I mentioned that I had water puddling on both sides of the cover.
I immediately went out and applied 303 all over and life is good.  I look forward to several more years with my "new" cover!  :)  Once again, there was no charge to me at all.  I have a great dealer!!

Another great reason to purchase from a local dealer rather than the big box stores. isn't it worth the extra money for the quality and service! :)
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 04:01:48 pm »

Another great reason to purchase from a local dealer rather than the big box stores. isn't it worth the extra money for the quality and service! :)

Indeed!  I know that my dealer combines trips--that's just a smart thing to do no matter who you are and what you do, but even my milkman just left us a note on our bill that said he would be adding $.75 each week to our bill to offset the gas prices.  In my almost 2 years of ownership I have yet to be charged for any trip and they are always glad to see me when I come in for chemicals.  Nice people.  Great service.  :)
2005 HS Vanguard

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 06:49:23 am »

......even my milkman just left us a note on our bill that said he would be adding $.75 each week to our bill to offset the gas prices.  

Wow, Kervis, you still have a milkman?!  
I haven't seen a milkman in my neck of the woods since I was a kid! (And I'm over 50!)  
That's pretty cool.  Do they still use an insulated steel box on the front porch?
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 06:49:23 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42