What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Life Span of Hot Springs Cover & Replacement Costs  (Read 9053 times)

Neohcouple

Life Span of Hot Springs Cover & Replacement Costs
« on: May 05, 2008, 10:56:47 pm »
I have a 3 year old Hot Springs Vanguard Hot Tub & currently reside in NE Ohio.   Just curious to know what the average life span is of a HS cover.  I figured it would have lasted more than 3 years.   Mine is starting to get pretty heavy & I feel it is probably a time when it should be replaced.  The hot tub sits outside on my deck.  

Also, dealers what do you charge for a replacement cover?

Is it simple to replace the cover or should I leave it up the the dealer?

Thanks to everyone in advance for any input!!!

Hot Tub Forum

Life Span of Hot Springs Cover & Replacement Costs
« on: May 05, 2008, 10:56:47 pm »

grumpy

Re: Life Span of Hot Springs Cover & Replacement C
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 06:44:48 am »
My cover on a Tiger River only lasted 1 1/2 years. It got very heavy and sags. It is still under the 2 year warrenty. I'm waiting to here what the dealer and Hot Springs are going to do.
As with Neohcouple, I am curious how long the covers should last?

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 08:20:21 am »
There are a few factors re:  cover longevity:

--Location--Is it in full sun all day?  Is is subject to "tree trash"?

--Quality--Covers differ greatly in construction quality.  I would guess that most manufacturers have theirs made by another company.  Retailers might chime in if they know of specifics re: their brand(s).

--Maintenance--Is the cover cleaned regularly?  Is 303 Protectant used regularly to condition the vinyl?

--Handling--Is a cover lifter used as opposed to dragging the cover off the spa?

There may be more considerations but these are "first out" for me.

My cover would have lasted more than 4 years had a tornadic wind not deposited it in my neighbors yard.  I've ordered a custom cover here from the good Doc and am anxiously awaiting its arrival.  I'm sure it will be MUCH better than my original cover even though it would have survived nicely even with direct sun all day for 4 years this July.

HTH... 8-)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Chris_H

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 08:36:48 am »
If you have a Hotspring Cover Cradle, I would recommend using the factory cover from Hotspring due to it being screwed into the cover.  A factory cover should be around $500 bucks.

It is simple to replace the cover, but if you have a Hotspring Cover Cradle I’d let the dealer install it.  

Hotspring manufacturers their own covers.  

grumpy

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 10:06:05 am »
There are a few factors re:  cover longevity:

--Location--Is it in full sun all day?  Is is subject to "tree trash"?

--Quality--Covers differ greatly in construction quality.  I would guess that most manufacturers have theirs made by another company.  Retailers might chime in if they know of specifics re: their brand(s).

--Maintenance--Is the cover cleaned regularly?  Is 303 Protectant used regularly to condition the vinyl?

--Handling--Is a cover lifter used as opposed to dragging the cover off the spa?

There may be more considerations but these are "first out" for me.

My cover would have lasted more than 4 years had a tornadic wind not deposited it in my neighbors yard.  I've ordered a custom cover here from the good Doc and am anxiously awaiting its arrival.  I'm sure it will be MUCH better than my original cover even though it would have survived nicely even with direct sun all day for 4 years this July.

HTH... 8-)
There is nothing wrong with the vinyl on the cover. I assume thats why all the questions.? Correct me if I'm wrong. My cover is saturated with water (it is very heavy (wife can no longer lift it) even with a cover lifter). When I shock the tub I always have the cover open. What can be done to prolong the life of the cover?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 10:24:58 am »
If your vinyl is still like new, buy a foam insert only. Will save you some money. I usually don't try to replace only the foam after two or three years because it is often very hard to get the zippers to open and close again, and the vinyl has generally shrunk a bit.

But you are right there at three years and you say the vinyl is good - so it might be worth a try. Is it heavy on both sides or just one?

The vapor barrier must have had a hole in it - or some holes. While you have your cover apart, be sure to check the other side - if it is only heavy on one side - to see that the vapor barrier is still perfect.

HTH

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 10:32:56 am »
When I shock the tub I always have the cover open.

Open, or OFF? If just open, the side facing the spa will degrade and become heavy.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 12:52:10 pm »
There is nothing wrong with the vinyl on the cover. I assume thats why all the questions.? Correct me if I'm wrong. My cover is saturated with water (it is very heavy (wife can no longer lift it) even with a cover lifter). When I shock the tub I always have the cover open. What can be done to prolong the life of the cover?
The questions were just examples of why I mentioned each point...not necessarily directed to your particular situation.

To prolong the life of a new cover, I would suggest buying a cover where the cores are double wrapped.  This would provide insurance against the water saturated, heavy cover you are experiencing now.  Also leave the cover completely open, not just half open, for at least 10-15 minutes whenever adding chems or 20-30 minutes when shocking (sounds like you are doing this now).  

To protect the vinyl, 303 Aerospace Protectant cannot be beat for preserving your cover and keeping it looking and feeling nice.  

And, IMO, using a cover lifter will help preserve your cover especially if you order a cover with extra reinforcing material for the hinge.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

grumpy

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 12:54:53 pm »
If your vinyl is still like new, buy a foam insert only. Will save you some money.

8-)
My cover is only 1 1/2 years old so it is still under warrenty through Hot Springs. I'm still waiting to here back from them.

Open, or OFF? If just open, the side facing the spa will degrade and become heavy.
I have open and not off. I'll check to see if 1 side is heavier than the other.

Neohcouple

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 05:17:30 pm »
Here's a few things:

* Yes, I use 303 on a regular & consistent basis.  It works great!!!
* My tub has cover cradle by Hot Springs.   I use it carefully every time & I'm not rough on it by any means.

Chas - How much savings is there just to use replace the foam as compared to buying a brand new cover?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 05:17:30 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42