What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: test strips don't cut it  (Read 4366 times)

kokanee001

test strips don't cut it
« on: January 01, 2008, 06:39:02 pm »
I use the test strips all the time for checking the water in my Vanguard, but I find the colour  variations not distinctive enough for the numbers they are to represent. Actually, the one colour that gives me the most difficulty is the orange/red range for pH; I can live with the others.

I've wonderig about getting a battery operated pH tester that would give me a digital numeric readout for the pH level.

Has anyone here had any experience with any of these? I've seen some on eBay, but am unsure of their quality/accuracy. If anyone has any advice or recommendations, they would be appreciated. :)

Hot Tub Forum

test strips don't cut it
« on: January 01, 2008, 06:39:02 pm »

Cyn

Re: test strips don't cut it
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 06:45:39 pm »
Everyone on this forum, or most everyone, swears by the Taylor DPD kits.  It is much easier with the drop system to read the colors, although alkalinity can still be a problem at times.  Not sure about the digital tests.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 06:52:12 pm »
I would think that as long as you have proper PH buffers for testing the accuracy of the probe you should be OK. In professional PH meters (lab quality) they test the PH accuracy with a known buffer, PH of say 6.0, 6.5, 7.0, 7.5 or whatever they want to test. Usually it's 2 buffers, a low and a high.

I would suggest getting buffers of 7.0 and 7.8 and use them as the reference points for using a digital meter. If there's a way to calibrate the meter that would be great, if not then you know how off you are at the low and high ends and then you can average it out.

Before buying a meter have you thought about a liquid test kit?

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 07:03:49 pm »
I have been using this one with good results.

Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Webini

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 07:10:56 pm »
I have been using this one with good results.

Same here.  My Taylor kit sits in the closet now.

kokanee001

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 07:52:26 pm »
That Aqua Chek meter looks pretty interesting. Do you have a link or a website?

I haven't heard of the Taylor test kit either, but electronics sounds more precise thsn using drops.

kokanee001

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 08:13:46 pm »
Thanx! I just went to the rhtubs site and looked at the meter. Sounds pretty good. Don't know how it compares to the Taylor test kit though.

Has anyone compared the 2 systems for accuracy or ease of use? We may have a winner on our hands. :)

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 08:23:06 pm »
In the archives of the rhtubs forum you can find comparisons regarding the acuracy of the Acuchek Digital Test Strip Reader.  They seem to be fairly accurate.  I still believe in the Taylor kit as the strip reader is still using a test strip for results.

kokanee001

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 08:33:13 pm »
What you say is true. I may just have to flip a coin.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 10:17:30 pm »
You also have to remember that water chemistry isn't a precise thing.

There are ranges for everything and as long as you're within the ranges everything is OK.

If your having problems reading between 7.2 & 7.3 - not a big deal. If your having problems between 7.0 & 8.0 - that's a big deal.

In the Taylor kit there is a device called a Watergram that basically has you dial in the calcium hardness to alkalinity, look at where the water's temp is and then look at the PH. "Balanced" water is the PH that this temp points to but it is +/- 0.5 PH. If calcium, alkalinity or temp changes then your PH changes as well. Theroretically if your water's PH is supposed to be 7.2 based on all the readings then the water can still be balanced at 7.2 - 0.5 or 6.7 PH which would be considered corrosive.

Personally I have the Taylor kit and I swear by it, I have read a lot of negatives about strips. The Accucheck had some negative results in the beginning and I believe that it was from faulty strips - this may be the way to go if you want digital. Real chemistry is in the drops though! ;D

Renee

• '07 Jacuzzi J-365 in Nebraska
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 10:38:04 am »
I use the digital Aquachek tester as well, and love it.  As Vinny said, there were some problems with the strips that you use with it in the beginning, but it appears the problems have been resolved by the company.   I've compared my readings to that of the dealer's computerized readings, and they are VERY close.  It's also quick and convenient.  I'd much rather read an actual number than try to decipher a color.    
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 10:38:46 am by rnblase »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 11:06:20 am »
Thanx! I just went to the rhtubs site and looked at the meter. Sounds pretty good. Don't know how it compares to the Taylor test kit though.

Has anyone compared the 2 systems for accuracy or ease of use? We may have a winner on our hands. :)

The accucheck wins hands down for ease of use, the Taylor for accuracy.  Some people have water that is much more difficult to manage and need the Taylor.   For me, if I keep the PH around where it should be and follow my normal regiment, the Accucheck does just fine.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Webini

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 12:07:16 pm »

The accucheck wins hands down for ease of use, the Taylor for accuracy.  Some people have water that is much more difficult to manage and need the Taylor.   For me, if I keep the PH around where it should be and follow my normal regiment, the Accucheck does just fine.

I think the statement above is quite true.  I've cross-checked my Accucheck with my Taylor kit and it is so close that I don't use the Taylor any more.  But if I was having serious water issues I would use the Taylor.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 12:07:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42