What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sanitizer too high?  (Read 3349 times)

smokeandsoak

Sanitizer too high?
« on: November 28, 2007, 09:38:48 pm »
I am using leisure time test strips.  I was having some problem with cloudy water and low bromine levels.  I added extra bromine and now the ph pad is turning purple even though the alkalinity is normal.  It says on the test strip pkg. that this indicates sanitizer levels are too high? The bromine pad is now dark purple and probably off the chart two hours after the dose.   The water cleared up, but will these high levels come back down into range by themselves with time or is there something else that needs to be done to lower the sanitixer level?  I dont want to get in with the levels so high do I?  Thanks!!

Hot Tub Forum

Sanitizer too high?
« on: November 28, 2007, 09:38:48 pm »

smokeandsoak

Re: Sanitizer too high?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 07:57:45 pm »
Today the TA and PH test normal, but the bromine level is still up at 10 ppm (or more its dark purple)

Should I drain and start over?  The spa is only a 1.5 weeks old, but it has had heavy use...with all these water problems, I am thinking that might be the best bet?  Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks.

Cyn

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 08:26:29 pm »
Where are all you bromine users to help out?

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 09:31:46 pm »
I know very little about bromine but ...

It sounds like you're using powdered bromine. If you are, don't add any for a day or 2 and see where you are. If you're using pucks and you shocked - it will get high and come down. If you're using pucks and it is high, close up the feeder or if it is closed as it can go - buy a new one. If you're using powder - how many gallons is your tub and how much bromine are you using? The bottle will tell you this.

I think bromine levels need to be 2x that of chlorine so when dichlor users shoot for 3 PPM bromine users need 6 PPM. Chlorine is more powerful than bromine. Bromine will last longer than chlorine in a tub.

Too little of any sanitizer is no good ... too much stops the soaking but at least the tub is shocked and sanitized.

Post with more info and maybe myself or others can help.

smokeandsoak

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 10:54:39 pm »
I already havent been in the spa in days.  My wife has some spots that Im worried might be the rash.  I am going to drain, clean and start over I guess just to be safe after reading some of the posts on here.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 10:54:39 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42