What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Superchlorination advice  (Read 4305 times)

96SC

Superchlorination advice
« on: October 21, 2007, 09:59:33 am »
I have read somewhere that if your CC is at a certain level(it seems like the amount was 1.5.) it may not be worth it to do a superchlorination, but do it when your CC is around .2.    I was going to superchlorinate our spa today and ours was 1.0.  Should I wait or go ahead and superchor?  
The water has been in use 30 days without a superchlor.
BTW we have ozone and silver, if that makes any difference.

Thanks
Jim
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Hot Tub Forum

Superchlorination advice
« on: October 21, 2007, 09:59:33 am »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
Re: Superchlorination advice
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 10:09:09 am »
I have read somewhere that if your CC is at a certain level(it seems like the amount was 1.5.) it may not be worth it to do a superchlorination, but do it when your CC is around .2.    I was going to superchlorinate our spa today and ours was 1.0.  Should I wait or go ahead and superchor?  
The water has been in use 30 days without a superchlor.
BTW we have ozone and silver, if that makes any difference.

Thanks
Jim

When your CC level reaches .2 ppm, it is time to shock by superchlorination.  To reach breakpoint chlorination which is what you have to do to eliminate CC, you have to increase your free chlorine level to ten times your combined chlorine level.  At a CC level of 1.0, you are overdue and should go ahead and superchlor.  The difference is you will need a higher chlorine level to do the job.  At 1.0 you need to get to 10 ppm.  The problem is that if you don't reach breakpoint chlorination, you have not shocked...so in your case you may want to go a little higher to be sure.  At .2 ppm a chlorine level over 5 ppm will get the job done so its best to shock sooner than later.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 10:11:36 am »
If you do a superchlorination, you need at least 10x the amount of the combined chlorine (CC) level to break the bond. I have said in the past that I look at the CC and if it is over 0.5 then I use MPS.

If you don't plan on using the tub for a while then it might be a good thing to superchlorinate as you would need at least 10 PPM free chlorine. If you are planning on using the tub use MPS and then superchlorinate next week. Try not to go so long on shocking especially if you use the tub a lot.

Also remember you need to trade off the CYA vs TDS when deciding to use chlorine or MPS. 10 PPM chlorine will raise your CYA by 10 PPM as well. MPS will raise your TDS faster than chlorine will.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 10:25:04 am »
If you do a superchlorination, you need at least 10x the amount of the combined chlorine (CC) level to break the bond. I have said in the past that I look at the CC and if it is over 0.5 then I use MPS.

If you don't plan on using the tub for a while then it might be a good thing to superchlorinate as you would need at least 10 PPM free chlorine. If you are planning on using the tub use MPS and then superchlorinate next week. Try not to go so long on shocking especially if you use the tub a lot.

Also remember you need to trade off the CYA vs TDS when deciding to use chlorine or MPS. 10 PPM chlorine will raise your CYA by 10 PPM as well. MPS will raise your TDS faster than chlorine will.

Vinny, I've been reading some info that suggests that MPS does a better job at preventing chloramines than eliminating them and that once you've registered combined chlorine it is best to shock with chlorine.  For the past few months I've been shocking weekly with MPS and have not shown any combined chlorine.  I expect that if I do, I will shock with chlorine.  You may want to use bleach to bring free chlorine up that high.  I use it whenever I need more than my small daily dose.  Check your pH after, but I have never had an issue.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 12:46:05 pm »
Tony,

On the pool website they were suggesting that MPS prvents CC from happening as long as you add it on a weekly basis and that info wasn't provided by chem geek. I could not find anywhere to prove or disprove this. Ony thing I could find was shocking with MPS. Where did you find the info?

Of course thinking about it if you're using MPS on a weekly or more basis then CC would not have a chance to form or not form to higher levels.

As far as bleach, I'm convinced that it is OK to use but the idea of measuring out 3 oz or more of liquid is a PITA to me.

Thanks!

Vinny
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 12:48:06 pm by Vinny »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 02:40:53 pm »
Tony,

On the pool website they were suggesting that MPS prvents CC from happening as long as you add it on a weekly basis and that info wasn't provided by chem geek. I could not find anywhere to prove or disprove this. Ony thing I could find was shocking with MPS. Where did you find the info?

Of course thinking about it if you're using MPS on a weekly or more basis then CC would not have a chance to form or not form to higher levels.

As far as bleach, I'm convinced that it is OK to use but the idea of measuring out 3 oz or more of liquid is a PITA to me.

Thanks!

Vinny

I saw this from chem geek I believe on the poolspa forum...it may have been waterbear.  It wasn't from poolforum...I rarely go there.  I've been doing this since I removed my ozonator and stopped using silver cartridge.  So far so good.

I only use bleach if I have to add a large (shock) dose.  I use dichlor on a regular daily basis.  The reason...just as you stated...its a PITA to deal with liquid..and thats really the only reason.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 04:57:46 pm »
IMO, I don't trust what waterbear says 100%, he has led me to places where he is trying to make a point and either he or I are misinterperting what is being said. Chem geek I trust as I do Vermonter.

I used to post on poolforum and started to post on troublefreepools but I decided that here and Doc's is enough. Pools aren't all that exciting to me. I did learn a lot on poolforum that I apply to my spa but what they say and what's being said here are a little different.

I guess it doesn't matter as long as our water is clean and the nasties are gone!

96SC

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 10:23:28 pm »
Thanks for the info guys, I do an MPS shock weekly.  The superchlor is to get rid of anything else that may be growing.
I remembered that you need a 10X to reach breaking point. (I did retain something after being on here over a year).   ;D
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 10:23:28 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42