What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Calrifier VS Anti-Foam  (Read 3366 times)

Campsalot

• Sundance Maxxus Super Tub
Calrifier VS Anti-Foam
« on: October 20, 2007, 12:48:34 pm »
Question on chemicals guys.  First let me say this; after owning my tub for going on three years I believe I have finally figured out water chemistry.  I believe it boils down to "Total Alkalinity".  It seems when I get that right everything falls into place, everything but...clarity.
After a water change (I love fresh water) and after one or two uses I need to add the spa enzyme after which I get the milky water. The anti foam takes care of the foam but the water is very milky when the jets are cruising.  Will clarifier solve the problem?
So everyone knows...Sundance Maxxus (Approx 600 gallons), No Ozone, Bromine.  Current PH 7.6, Current Alkalinity 90ppm.  Taylor Test kit (oh yeah)!
Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Calrifier VS Anti-Foam
« on: October 20, 2007, 12:48:34 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Calrifier VS Anti-Foam
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 01:24:26 pm »
 Clarifier should solve the problem,question is how old is the filter??   Spa enzyme works well,but if its not needed I dont use it, Are you getting a scum line anything like that for the reason to use it?

Campsalot

• Sundance Maxxus Super Tub
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 02:00:23 pm »
Jim, yes, I am getting a scum line which I attribute to 2 things; hair gel and/or hair spray and body lotions antiperspirants deodorants etc.  Always shows up within use 3 of a fresh water change.  My filter cycle runs 3X per day.  The filter requires one change per year and my tub is rarely used.  Current filter in service 6 months.
I have read that an ozonator would solve the problem and I believe my tub is ozonator ready however, I don't think I can cost justify that purchase.
I will try clarifier and see what happens.  I just don't like the chemical vat theory and I also don't want to require showering ahead of tub use ( I did that for a while and everyone (wife and child) complained and when posted as a discussion here on this forum everyone agreed saying it was a hassle.).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 02:02:09 pm by Campsalot »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 06:28:41 pm »
I believe that the foam is not going away because of you're not getting rid of it. The stuff in the foaming is what's causing the scum line.

You are introducing a lot of stuff into the water if you're getting scum lines. It may be too much for the enzymes to handle or you need a pre emptive dose of enzymes before you start using the tub. Also, enzymes need time to work - hours and any sanitizer is busy oxidizing them out and so your enzymes aren't lasting that long and neither is the sanitizer.

What seems to work for me is to get the spa to foam up, scoop out all the foam being generated (at least as much as you can) and hit it with a shock of MPS to oxidize the rest. I know some here think it's great to use anti foam but it is only taking that foam and putting it back into the water. Scooping is a pain but it is the only thing that will eliminate most of the gunk.

Clarifier has it's own problems as well.

I've used both and try to stay away from anything I don't need.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 06:28:41 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42