What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Deck heater by spa.  (Read 5859 times)

H823Putt

• My backyard oassis
Deck heater by spa.
« on: October 10, 2007, 08:19:35 am »
     Hi all. I was just thinking that since the cold weather is comming, does anyone use one of those portable deck heaters by their spa? If so, what would be a good one? I was looking at getting one of those that look like a lamp post. with a 20 foot dia area that would keep the side of my spa warm. This is where we hang our towels and robes.I do not remember ever seeing it discussed here. My spa is a good 40 or so feet from the back of my house(see picture below) and was thinking of getting one. I figured that it would be nice to get out of the spa and be able to stand under it and stay warm while drying off. I would guess it would keep my robe and towel warm also.
     When I was building my deck people said I should keep the spa near the house but I LOVE it being out in the middle of my yard with a full sky overhead.

Some guy flew overhead and took this picture.  He sent me the picture to see if I woud be interested in buying a larger photo. He wrote on it with a black marker but I was able to rub off most of it. I still might buy a larger print.

If you look real close you can see me sitting on a lounge chair by the pool.  8-)

Hot Tub Forum

Deck heater by spa.
« on: October 10, 2007, 08:19:35 am »

Repeat_Offender

Re: Deck heater by spa.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 08:37:52 am »
Nice guy. He work for the town assessors office?
Bullfrog 562

H823Putt

• My backyard oassis
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 08:43:14 am »
No, he lives in another town and does this on the side. He will fly around taking pictures and sending them out. I live close to a small airport and he said one time when he  was landing there(they fly right over head when landing) he saw my deck and decided to take a picture.

H823Putt

• My backyard oassis
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 08:44:20 am »
...plus I had to get permits, so the town knows what I have anyway.

H823Putt

• My backyard oassis
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 02:53:18 pm »
I guess no one uses a deck heater.  :-[

Lars

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 03:10:51 pm »
Guess it just seems kinda pointless when you're sitting in the hot water.

Might be nice for that 30 second dash for the door.  ;)

Cyn

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 04:21:59 pm »
Our tub is on our large patio and we have 2 out door fire pits that we use when we will be spending a bit more time outside and then using the tub as well on cold nights, but we love the cool/cold evenings.  Your idea would be easier if you are just in and out, but as Lars said, you won't need it while you are in the tub.  

H823Putt

• My backyard oassis
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 05:08:57 pm »
It is not for when I am in the tub but when I get out and drying off and adding the dichlor.  I would think it would keep my towel and robe warm for when I get out. I guess I should wait and see if I would really need it. Maybe that 40 foot dash soaking wet may not be that bad.

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 11:55:35 am »
I don't know how cold it gets where you live, but the propane type heaters may be hard to light in lower temps.  My FIL has one and it is great for fall evenings...not so sure about the dead of winter.
Steve

H823Putt

• My backyard oassis
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 07:54:48 am »
I don't know how cold it gets where you live, but the propane type heaters may be hard to light in lower temps.  My FIL has one and it is great for fall evenings...not so sure about the dead of winter.
Steve

I live in the Poconos, right near the Jersey border. We get our share of cold weather and snow durring the winter.  I never heard about them not working or not working very well in the very cold weather, I guess I will have to do more research to see if it is worth it. I planned on only using it when it was really cold.

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 12:29:26 pm »
Many years ago (20?) I was involved in the operation of a snowmaking plant at a ski hill.  The snowmakers would have difficulty keeping tiger torches running when using them to thaw equipment.  This was due to a low vaporization rate of the propane at lower temperatures.  This is what I was basing my input on...not sure about patio heaters; this was just a concern I thought of.

Steve

workinhard7

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 04:20:46 pm »
i have two for my deck, we enjoy lots of time on the deck we would otherwise not have.

H823Putt

• My backyard oassis
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 06:43:48 am »
i have two for my deck, we enjoy lots of time on the deck we would otherwise not have.

But do you use them in the dead of winter in the cold and snow?  I know they work well in the fall and spring (which I still might get one for anyway) But I am trying to find out how good they are in the cold and snow.

Repeat_Offender

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 06:56:57 am »
Had one last winter and I wouldn't do it again. We would light it right before going in the tub and dry off underneath it. The problem was the slightest breeze and it was useless and not enough heat radiated downward. Much easier to throw on a robe and scamper inside.
Bullfrog 562

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 06:56:57 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42