What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ice in the winter  (Read 3493 times)

Renee

• '07 Jacuzzi J-365 in Nebraska
Ice in the winter
« on: October 05, 2007, 11:11:42 am »
With winter right around the corner, my hubby and I were talking during one of our leisurely soaks about ice forming on the steps in the winter.  When we get out of the tub now, the steps are completely wet.  What happens in the winter?  This will become a hazardous sheet of ice!   Looking for hints or tips to help with this foreseeable problem...
Thanks,
Renee

Hot Tub Forum

Ice in the winter
« on: October 05, 2007, 11:11:42 am »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: Ice in the winter
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 11:27:14 am »
We just lay a towel down on the step.

We had a blow torch but it got costly replacing steps all the time... ;)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 12:48:29 pm »
We just take care and be sure of where you step.  The ice that forms on the steps tend to be very brittle and easy to break off the steps before using them.  The soeaks when it is snowing are what make the tub worthwhile.  I just wish the ski slopes were closer to home so I could ski right up to the tub.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Venissa

• Proud owner of a Coleman model 461
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 02:05:41 pm »
With winter right around the corner, my hubby and I were talking during one of our leisurely soaks about ice forming on the steps in the winter.  When we get out of the tub now, the steps are completely wet.  What happens in the winter?  This will become a hazardous sheet of ice!   Looking for hints or tips to help with this foreseeable problem...
Thanks,
Renee

Your darn tooten it will be a sheet of ice......almost broke my neck last winter!  Not just on the steps but on the deck leading to the door as well.  I started doing as Steve suggested and laying a towel over the steps - then crawled over the deck floor to the door.  ;D

But those winter nights in the tub are worth ice skating for.

Just be careful.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 02:07:09 pm by Venissa »
Don't throw away the old bucket until you know whether the new one holds water.

Renee

• '07 Jacuzzi J-365 in Nebraska
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 02:10:39 pm »
I can SO see myself falling on my a** getting out onto slick steps.  That would be a fun one to explain in the emergency room!  I think we're going to get those thick rubber mats with the holes in them (like you see bartenders standing on) to go between the hot tub steps and the door to the house.  We just couldn't think of anything for the steps.  So far, the towel seems to be the best option!
renee

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 05:25:05 pm »

Your darn tooten it will be a sheet of ice......almost broke my neck last winter!  Not just on the steps but on the deck leading to the door as well.  I started doing as Steve suggested and laying a towel over the steps - then crawled over the deck floor to the door.  ;D

But those winter nights in the tub are worth ice skating for.

Just be careful.

That's nothing...you should see me drive up my driveway in the winter sometimes! :D Hide the women and children! :o
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 05:25:54 pm by Steve »

WannaSoakNow

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 08:16:12 pm »
Yup, it's going to be slick!!!   :o    My experience, with my HS classic, in the "Wicked White North", years ago....We put down skid strips on the steps...worked wonders and they now come in many colors to match your decking.

Try that for a good inexpensive fix to the slick stairs.

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 11:25:14 pm »
I can SO see myself falling on my a** getting out onto slick steps.  That would be a fun one to explain in the emergency room!  

Yes, it is!

Especially when you're in the ER getting a bunch of stitches in your head, and still dripping wet in your swimsuit!

But it makes for a great story at work the next day, especially if it looks like you got in a bar fight.

Not that I know anyone this happened to.  ::)
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Neptuner

• My only tub foam
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 10:59:19 pm »

Yes, it is!

Especially when you're in the ER getting a bunch of stitches in your head, and still dripping wet in your swimsuit!

But it makes for a great story at work the next day, especially if it looks like you got in a bar fight.

Not that I know anyone this happened to.  ::)

It's actually more fun dripping wet without a swimsuit.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 10:59:19 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42