What's the Best Hot Tub

Poll

Is your hot tub dealer located more than 40 miles from you?

YES
9 (20.5%)
NO
35 (79.5%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: How far away from you is your dealer?  (Read 6360 times)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: How far away from you is your dealer?
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007, 11:19:52 am »

Do most manufacturers have a limit like this?

I'm just curious because most of the major brands (the Watkins brands, and Jacuzzi/Sundance) are on the same street, in a city 22 miles from me that's in another county. I'm curious as to whether any of these brands would let me open a store.

Its not just about distance, population is a big key as well. They may be pretty well spread out in Idaho and faily close in Chicago. The key is to have enough stores to cover the area properly without choking off your own dealers (and upsetting them).

As far as Jacuzzi/Sundance goes, they may be made by the same company but they are separate competing brands in teh market so to see them on the same street is really no different than seeing a Marquis a block away from a D1.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 11:25:41 am by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007, 11:19:52 am »

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007, 03:39:43 pm »
As far as Jacuzzi/Sundance goes, they may be made by the same company but they are separate competing brands in teh market so to see them on the same street is really no different than seeing a Marquis a block away from a D1.

Actually, there's one store that sells Jacuzzi & Sundance, and another that sells all the Watkins brands along with a few others. So, you can look at Hot Spring, Tiger River, Caldera, Hot Spot, Cal Spas, Jacuzzi, Sundance, Sunbelt, and Nordic while pretty much parked in the same place. It sure makes for convenient shopping!

There are a few other dealers (Catalina & Master) in other parts of town, but the others that come & go are on that street. The funny thing is most other brands that try to make a go of it end up on the same street too- I guess they figure that's where all the spa shoppers are. I just think it's a little odd that in a city of a million people you're going to go to one part of one street to buy a hot tub.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2007, 09:33:16 pm »
Most brands restrict entire TOWNs and sometimes counties.  Around here, it is unlikely that you will find a second dealer (of same brand) in the same town and often you must drive 3 hours away (120 miles+).  This helps the mfg's protect the dealers in those areas from getting "undercut" by their "neighbor".  However, it still happens and that is usually when the pissing contest starts...."I didn't sell you the spa...Customer: Yea, I bought it from Henry because he was $200 cheaper...Dealer: Well that was fine, let Henry service your spa.....Customer (More pissed off now): I would but he wants a $75 trip charge, you wouldn't sharge me for a warranty service, would you?.....Dealer: Well, not if you had bought it here....Customer:  Well, I'm pissed he wants to charge me so I'd rather pay you... Dealer: Sorry, I won't service it as I don't know anything about it.....Customer:  WHAT THE F....."
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2007, 09:37:27 pm »
Ok, I started this thread as a good natured poke at our friends at Arctic.  For along time their website would only tell you if a retail store was located within 40 miles of you. If may have been at my suggestion, but they updated it to where if there wasn't a dealer within 40 miles, their customer service would email you the closest location.  I can kind of see the logic and why the individual retailers might want it that way.  The last time I checked, the closest retailer was around 100 miles away in a part of Ohio I don't frequent.   Tom, is that still the case for Columbus, Ohio - 43229?  

I've been in this forum for almost 5 years now and even after I bought my tub I've taken the time to vist and examine almost every major brand. But I think Arctic is the only of the perceived top brands I haven't had the pleasure to look at.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2007, 09:49:41 pm »
My dealer's closest location is 35 miles away that takes just over an hour (or 45 miles that takes 50 minutes by a different route).

The closest dealer for my brand is about 7 miles away, but we really don't like this guy.

If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2007, 10:09:01 pm »
Ok, I started this thread as a good natured poke at our friends at Arctic.  For along time their website would only tell you if a retail store was located within 40 miles of you. If may have been at my suggestion, but they updated it to where if there wasn't a dealer within 40 miles, their customer service would email you the closest location.  

I know they won't send you a brochure if you're not within a dealer's territory. They're one of several brands (including Artesian and Marquis) who won't send me any literature because there's no dealer nearby.

I like brochures. Until I get Artesian, Marquis, and Arctic, my collection will be incomplete. :'(
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 10:10:34 pm by KevinofOH »
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Tom

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2007, 02:04:33 pm »
It may have been at my suggestion...
It was, and I thank you again.   Our US dealer network is growing steadily (added another one last week in CA, one this week in ID) but it may be a few years before we have the kind of coverage we'd like. We still don't have a dealer within 40 miles of you.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 02:12:50 pm by Graybeard »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2007, 03:28:02 pm »
It was, and I thank you again.   Our US dealer network is growing steadily (added another one last week in CA, one this week in ID) but it may be a few years before we have the kind of coverage we'd like. We still don't have a dealer within 40 miles of you.

The next trip I plan, I'll email you ahead of time. I'd love to take a look.   We went to Dayton a couple of weeks ago, but without notice.   I took a business trip to Waterloo Iowas a couple of weeks ago, but if they have a dealer and we don't, I'll be seriously offended!   ;D
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Big_Dog

• 2007 Jacuzzi J-470
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2007, 04:21:41 pm »
My dealer is 2 miles away.
I would not personally travel 40 miles for a dealer, but then again living within 20 miles of both DC & Baltimore we have at least 10-15 spa dealers within  a 20 mile radius ;D.
I guess everything is relative though, if I was further out in the burb's I might think differently. ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2007, 04:21:41 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42