What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: spa covers  (Read 3393 times)

mike in arkansas

spa covers
« on: September 05, 2007, 06:13:15 pm »
I saw the discussion on the soft spa cover and looked at some other sites where it was discussed and it got me to thinking.

One of the issues with foam covers is waterlogging. Two questions immediately come to mind. One -- why don't they make covers out of closed cell foam. I assume closed cell would not absorb water (I remember kick board when I swam and they NEVER soaked in water) Does anyone make such a cover. The second thought was sealing the bottom of my cover. Why can't I take some silicone (aquarium grade) adn glue on a piece of fairly heavy plastic on the bottom. Make sure it is sealed all teh way around the edge so moisture doesn't get under the plastic. The fold couldn't be covered but that would be a very small place for moisture to get in.

IF you put on a thermal blanket that sits directly on the water it seems like you would ahve the best of all worlds (in terms of spa covers anyway). Insulation directly on the water to minimize evaporation, a cover that can't absorb moisture, and an insulating layer of air between the foam and the cover.

I think I may patent this idea and become the oldest millionaire!! 8-)

Now the rest of you guys tell me why this isn't a great idea!!  :o

Blessings on y'all,
Mike
who says I am senile?

Hot Tub Forum

spa covers
« on: September 05, 2007, 06:13:15 pm »

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
Re: spa covers
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 07:56:34 pm »
Hi Mike!

Why don't they make a cover that lasts the lifetime of the tub?

-What would GoodYear do with an employee who developed a tire that would last the lifetime of a car?  

;)

Rich
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 08:06:58 pm »
The foam is closed cell and the problem is the steam and the chems. Doc went over it a long while back but I'm not sure if it was here or over at his site.

The foam should be sealed by a plastic "bag" which is sealed. Over time the plastic disinergrates and allows the steam and chemicals to invade the foam ... after a while the cover is shot.

According to Doc, depending on the quality and thickness of that "bag" the cover may last longer. Doc also offers double bagging on his covers so theroretically if you get 4 years from a single "bagged" cover you should get at least 8 years from a double "bagged".

Adding a blanket should  help in prolonging the life of the cover. I just threw out my foam blanket as after I fixed it with glue it started a huge tear somewhere else ... I think the chems would have attacked the cover had the blanket not been there.

mike in arkansas

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 08:33:25 pm »
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH I FORGOT TWO THINGS

1- The Greed of all you EVIL spa salesmen (salespersons to be politically correct cuz there are some evil spa saleswomen posing as salesMEN) who would never want to see a lifetime spa cover!!

2- I FORGOT the Chemicals!!! :-?

rats -- now I will NEVER be a millionaire :'(

forget the blessings on you ratbags!! :'(

Mike
who says I am senile?

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 08:55:08 pm »
Mike,

I think once blessings go forth YOU CAN'T TAKE THEM BACK! ;D Especially when we give info on good faith!

Now being Italian we do have our own curses that we can bestow upon people but we also have our own counter measures to deflect curse attacks.  8-)

Now I know why I'm not rich and famous! It's all because of you and your blessings-taking-backing!!!!! ::) ;D
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 08:55:57 pm by Vinny »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 08:55:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42