What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot tub wiring  (Read 6122 times)

Tropicaltam

• 2007 D1 Wayfarer
Hot tub wiring
« on: July 25, 2007, 09:08:06 pm »
I know this will vary greatly by area/region and the extent of work to be done...but I was just wondering if anyone would like to share what it cost you (approx) to have the electrician install all of the wiring necessary for a new hot tub?  I just got my first bid and it was over $1000, considerably more than the dealer had prepared me for.  Granted, the dealer was just guesstimating...not having seen my place or set-up, but I just wondered what the average cost really is.  I plan on getting 3-4 bids before proceeding...see what I range I have here in town.  I was just kind of curious....

Thanks!!  
 :) Tam

Hot Tub Forum

Hot tub wiring
« on: July 25, 2007, 09:08:06 pm »

Pathfinder

Re: Hot tub wiring
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 09:34:44 pm »
A decent way to base the avg cost of your install will be  - How far of a run from your main panel to where you tub is going to be?  Do they have to go into the attic or basement? If its a long run its going to be a bit higher than normal. If they have to go into the attic to run wire its going to be a lot more.  Multiple quotes are good

meriflower

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 09:38:09 pm »
Hi Tam!  The electrician wasn't cheap - $1300.   :o  The eletrician was a master electrician and did an excellent job though.  Interesting enough some companies that I called told me they don't do hot tub installs - too difficult.   :-?  Definitely get more than one bid!

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 09:48:54 pm »
Ask your dealer for two or three electricians that they have worked with.  When out hunting for a tub, tell the dealers you want to get a quote on the instal before you buy the tub as this will affect your desision.  There's a good chance he wont refer his over priced buddy
Steve

Whatley

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 02:27:54 am »
I'm not an electrician (I'm an electrical engineer, I make a lot less than electricians), but I do design power plants for a living.  I'm running my own 50 amp feeder from my main panel and the wire alone is going to cost me about $350 (#6 is roughly $2.30 a foot).  Considering almost nobody charges less than cost +10% I'd be looking at around $400 just for the wire cost alone (ok ok $385 but we're splitting hairs here).

Believe me, I'm the last person to ever say an electrician's job is hard, but crawling around in either a crawl space or an insulation filled attic leaves a lot to be desired.  It sure seems like Hot Tub installs require what could be the longest possible cable run on your property (unless you're living on a farm).  

And to Meriflower, any electrician that said a Hot Tub install was too hard, was definitely one you didn't want doing the job.  2 lines a neutral and a ground?  I certainly wouldn't recommend just any old homeowner to DYI this, but even a remotely competant electrician should see dollar signs above his head when somebody mentions a hot tub.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 06:00:47 am »
If there is any trenching that needs to be done in order to bury the run, offer to do it yourself. Also you can buy the 60 amp Hot Tub Panel at Lowe's for around $70. That's where I got mine and it was $50 cheaper than what my buddy(he's an IBEW electrician) could get it for through his employer's distributor. I was fortunate to have a friend that did it all for free and even supplied all the wire, so I really can't comment on the cost. My only expense was the Panel. :) Oh yeah, I had to do all the trenching too but it was well worth it to say the least!

Cheers,

Chad
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 06:03:04 am by WHY_NOT »

Steelerpete

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 07:07:02 am »
I did all the prep work ( trenching, running the wire through the conduit, etc. ) like Chad, and the electrician came the day of the install and charged 50$/hour x 3 hrs . The total was around 800$ for everything. :) :)

caribbeansun

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 07:54:06 am »
Your quote is pretty much what mine cost.

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 09:42:15 am »
I had a 50 ft run on the top of my flat roof (no trenching).  Install including the shutoff box was $800.   I figured the install including the materials (shutoff, GFI breaker, conduit and wires) was well worth it.  So $1,000 does not sound too bad.

Tropicaltam

• 2007 D1 Wayfarer
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 11:16:14 am »
Thanks everyone for the input; sounds like I am par for the course.  I have a small house, and the electric panel is in the garage...backs up to the area in the back where the tub is going.  Didn't seem like a lot of distance, flat ground, etc....and this first bid took all that into account.  The electrician mentioned some places just charge a flat fee, no matter the distance.  He said that isn't always fair considering the distance & work involved.  It also included me digging the trench (about 4 feet)...as somebody mentioned, to save money (his suggestion!).  Have another bid coming today, so we'll see how close they are  ;).

:) Tam

Renee

• '07 Jacuzzi J-365 in Nebraska
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 08:13:36 pm »
Whatever you do, Tam, DO NOT PAY ANYTHING UP FRONT!  We just lost $471.50 (1/2 of the total cost) doing that.  So our electrical hookup has turned out to be REALLY expensive.   It makes me sick to my stomach to think about it, but it was a hard lesson learned.  So anything I can do to help others from falling into this trap is well worth my time....
--renee

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 08:13:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42