What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Testing water chemistry - what are most using?  (Read 3407 times)

caribbeansun

Testing water chemistry - what are most using?
« on: July 23, 2007, 08:44:57 am »
There seem to be 3 choices - use the test strips that you get at any spa store or big box, use the Taylor kit or use Aqua Check.

From reading a number of posts it seems the Taylor is the standard around these parts.

As a newbie to water chemistry where is the best place to start?

Thanks in advance.

Hot Tub Forum

Testing water chemistry - what are most using?
« on: July 23, 2007, 08:44:57 am »

104 degrees

Re: Testing water chemistry - what are most using?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 09:10:55 am »
There seem to be 3 choices - use the test strips that you get at any spa store or big box, use the Taylor kit or use Aqua Check.

From reading a number of posts it seems the Taylor is the standard around these parts.

Thanks in advance.

I just use the test strips for now.my dealer told me yesturday that you can get more confused with the taylor kit then with the strips.

Ive been doing it with the strips for about five years with very little problems.

I am going to look into the taylor kit with in the next year or so.

104 degrees John

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 10:16:07 am »

Thanks in advance.

If you want quick, go with the strips but if you want accuracy, go with the Taylor DPD drops. Also, I suggest utilizing your dealer once a month as most offer free water analysis.

Steve

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 10:59:59 am »
The Aquachek test strips are fast and accurate.  

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 11:27:49 am »
I use liesure time test strips and have no problem.

I think test strips are more commonly used than the reagent kits (like Taylor), but you hear more about the test kits because maybe, the folks using them are Water chem geeks and enjoy talking about the finer details of water chemistery? or maybe they are using the kits because thier water is a bit more troublesome and require the kits, and need help? The kits give you more data to consider, and the interaction of these samples can be a bit overwhemming?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 11:28:49 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 11:48:18 am »
Did I just get called a "chem geek"?  

The real problem is my eyes.  They are in mid-life crisis.  I need big, bright tubes of colored water to see where I'm at.   :D
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 12:04:57 pm »
Yes.  I called you a chem geek.  (anyone who hangs out on a Hot tub forum is some kind of geek).  ;)  I just want Caribian sun to understand that we here may not be a fair representation of your average consumers, as we seem to take our hot tubbing a bit more passionaltey than your average  consumer.  :)
07 Caldera Geneva

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 12:37:32 pm »
There are other liquid test kits out there than the Taylor ones, too.  Look around at any big box store in the pool department, check out spa stores, pool suppliers, etc...

I've used the strips, Aqua Check, and couple liquid drop kits so far.  
Brewman

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 07:28:40 pm »
I use liesure time test strips and have no problem.

I think test strips are more commonly used than the reagent kits (like Taylor), but you hear more about the test kits because maybe, the folks using them are Water chem geeks and enjoy talking about the finer details of water chemistery? or maybe they are using the kits because thier water is a bit more troublesome and require the kits, and need help? The kits give you more data to consider, and the interaction of these samples can be a bit overwhemming?

First, I want to say thank you for recognizing my geekieness!

Second, it us geeks with our test kits that will help out all who need. I am willing to help and have helped.

But the sad part is, how hard is it to add 5 drops at a time ... most people have at least 5 fingers and/or toes and the 10x table goes like this 1x10=10; 2x10=20; 3x10=30 and so on. And I didn't need Calculus or Laplace Transforms to figure it out.

Math and Science RULE!!!!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 08:25:29 pm »
I find that test strips work well for free chlorine level.  For everything else including total chlorine, I use the Taylor 2005 test kit.  I have found the Aquachek test strips to be better than others I've tried, but I could never read the strips for pH, TA, etc.  All the levels of orange and green look alike to me.  With the Taylor kit, there is no question and the base and acid demand drops for pH are valuable information you don't get with strips.  

caribbeansun

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 07:26:45 am »
That's exactly my problem!

All the levels of orange and green look alike to me.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 07:26:45 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42