What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 4600 times)

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Insurance
« on: June 25, 2007, 10:11:58 pm »
Are hot tubs covered under home owner's insurance? If not, do you think it's neccessary to get coverage for it? What do you guys do?

Thanks,

Chad

Hot Tub Forum

Insurance
« on: June 25, 2007, 10:11:58 pm »

Renee

• '07 Jacuzzi J-365 in Nebraska
Re: Insurance
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 11:05:31 pm »
Are hot tubs covered under home owner's insurance? If not, do you think it's neccessary to get coverage for it? What do you guys do?

Thanks,

Chad

Yep...they sure are.  I just called and checked with my insurance agent the other day.  They are covered under the "other structures" section of our homeowner's policy.  Make sure you have enough coverage (dollar-wise) to cover your hot tub, and any other structures, such as an outside shed.  I verified that it would be covered in the event of tornadoes, fire, or even vandalism.  Didn't really want to sink $8,000-$9,000 into a tub that wasn't covered!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 11:06:33 pm by rnblase »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 11:08:48 pm »

Yep...they sure are.  I just called and checked with my insurance agent the other day.  They are covered under the "other structures" section of our homeowner's policy.  Make sure you have enough coverage (dollar-wise) to cover your hot tub, and any other structures, such as an outside shed.  I verified that it would be covered in the event of tornadoes, fire, or even vandalism.  Didn't really want to sink $8,000-$9,000 into a tub that wasn't covered!
:) Thank you very much. I'll give him a call tommorrow to see how much coverage I have. :)

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 09:35:47 am »
You may want ask if it should be "listed".  My agent owns a hottub so we're always talkin' tubs.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 10:46:16 am »
Different insurance companies will have different rules, but for the most part if the spa is hard wired to the house it is considered part of the structure so it would be covered. For the 120-volt plug in models most of the time they are not covered.

I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 01:36:30 pm »
If you're worried about it, read your policy.  That document is what is enforcable, regardless of anything spoken.  Any grey areas usually are settled in favor of the insured, since it's the insurance companies responsibility to create the policy language.
Brewman

Ruby

• Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 01:45:16 pm »
I have American Family Ins.  Mine has liabilty coverage and is covered if there is storm damage.  Freezing during the winter IS NOT covered unless I add that to the policy.  It costs 120.00/ year for freeze damage.  I opted not to add it.
Minnesota Consumer
Been soaking since 7/2004

caribbeansun

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 08:21:23 am »
Be aware that it may increase the costs of your liability coverage ie. slip and fall, accidental death, etc.

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 07:03:51 pm »
My homeowners policy covered the replacement of my old Prodigy (with a new Envoy) when it was hit by a tree limb.  It was covered by the "other structures" provisions of my policy which has max coverage of 10% of the house value.  

BTW, the Prodigy was a 110 volt plug-in tub.  Not a problem.

But be advised that policies and coverages are usually regulated by the Insurance Commission in each state and can vary from
State to State.  Here in the "People's Republic of Maryland", we generally have good protections for the homeowner.
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 07:03:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42