What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Consumer Reports - Hot Tubs  (Read 20960 times)

D.P. Roberts

Consumer Reports - Hot Tubs
« on: June 07, 2007, 06:57:33 pm »
Almost everyone who has shopped for a hot tub has looked for an independent, objective source of information on tubs, like Consumer Reports. However, Consumer Reports has never reviewed hot tubs. According to their web site, here's why:

"Products not yet tested -- As reader interest in these products increases, we hope to be able to offer information.
    * Hot tubs
    * Jacuzzis
    * Spas
    * Swimming pools and equipment"

I edited some products off the list, but you can see that some readers have already suggested that they review spas- so many that Consumer Reports has tubs on their radar. So, basically they're saying that hot tubs are "on the bubble" of things people are interested, but not quite enough people have asked them to review them.

Let's change that. If every spa shopper wrote to Consumer Reports, along with every dealer who thought their brand would stand up to the scrutiny, they'd review hot tubs. Here's the link to send your feedback to Consumer Reports:
 http://custhelp.consumerreports.org/cgi-bin/consumerreports.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php

You can select "Suggestion" or "Letter to the Editor" in the subject box. Let's bug them to death until they review hot tubs!

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Hot Tub Forum

Consumer Reports - Hot Tubs
« on: June 07, 2007, 06:57:33 pm »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Consumer Reports - Hot Tubs
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 09:56:33 pm »
OK, D.P., I wrote to CR before and requested that they evaluate Hot Tubs, and I just completed the annual survey that they use to evaluate products for 2007. In the comment section, I asked them again  to do an review of  spas...So maybe we can get them to evaluate tubs, but I bet they will end up with the same conclusions that we do... ;) either that or they will make us all mad  ;D ;D
Support your dealer so they can support you!

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 12:29:14 am »
I got a response from them today. It included the following:

"I was delighted to receive your suggestion for a future report that you'd
like to see published on Hot tubs/spas. I'd like you to know that I have
forwarded your correspondence to the appropriate editors and technicians
for their review and consideration for a possible future report. From
correspondence like yours, we get great story ideas, as well as a
first-hand feel of the type of information our subscribers want.

Although we're affiliated in no way, to possibly obtain the information you
are looking for, you may wish to contact the National Spa and Pool
Institute, 2111 Eisenhower Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22314, phone:
1-703-838-0083, fax: 1-703-549-0493, URL: www.nspi.org. The NSPI are
members of the spa and pool industry who are concerned with public and
residential swimming pools, spas and hot tubs. Their goals are to raise
spa and pool industry standards, expand interest and the use of swimming
pools, spas and hot tubs, and to achieve uniformity in federal, state, and
local regulations affecting swimming pool, spa, and hot tub operations."

Yeah, it was formish, but they read it enough to give me a link to the NSPI. So, maybe some good will come out of this.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 10:01:44 am »
Of course NSPI is no more.  It was replaced with the APSP, The Association of Pool and Spa Professionals. ;)

http://www.theapsp.org/1/index.aspx
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 12:29:49 pm »
NSPI went bankrupt how many years ago?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 01:23:20 pm »
just a thought but do you really think Consumer reports could do a good job with tubs,...my reason for questioning is that unlike cars that have annual sales of about 17 million just in the US....spa sales for the US right now "seem" to be in the 400,000 unit range and that is very very small in the economy's big picture and than you have so so many manufactures and you have so many different models.....my concern that if they did test it would be extremely difficult for them to really make sure it was apples to apples and that it would be highly doubtful that they could touch enough of the makers to make it fair....this is not a knock on consumer reports nor am I suggesting that it would not be a good to have some new source for tub testing....its just that spas are unique in that they are a large ticket item but they really have a very small market share when compared to other industries and how many people really have an interest

anne

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 01:41:47 pm »
I agree with you Mendo, though it would be so nice if there were a way for tubs to be independently rated, it is a small market. I do with that it were more feasible to "quantify" tub qualities, though. A car has a range of MPG listed on the sticker- I wish that  in tub shopping there could be KWH usage tables and R ratings on covers, and sone or decibel ratings on motors.....but that is not very realistic either!
Dance like nobody's watching

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 02:18:22 pm »
I agree with you Mendo, though it would be so nice if there were a way for tubs to be independently rated, it is a small market. I do with that it were more feasible to "quantify" tub qualities, though. A car has a range of MPG listed on the sticker- I wish that  in tub shopping there could be KWH usage tables and R ratings on covers, and sone or decibel ratings on motors.....but that is not very realistic either!

I think it's very realistic to do.  They can do if for cars, why not tubs?

Do you the MPG rattings on cars are bullet proof? They are guesstimates, but at least they are all measuredusng the same yardstick.

Sure there are a lot of factors with KWH and energy efficeinty, , but just as many with MPG.  they could come up with a reasonable guage to indicate electrical costs.  but the thing is, MPG are required by the goverment, no?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 02:19:46 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 03:12:14 pm »

Do you the MPG rattings on cars are bullet proof? They are guesstimates, but at least they are all measuredusng the same yardstick.

Sure there are a lot of factors with KWH and energy efficeinty, , but just as many with MPG.  they could come up with a reasonable guage to indicate electrical costs.  but the thing is, MPG are required by the goverment, no?
Drew,

Those are not guesstimates for mpg...the car industry is so regulated that here in Calif for example if a DMV inspector goes onto to a new car lot and  the MSRP sticker is not in the vehicle (usually found on the window) it is a $10,000.00 fine and they can chain the doors closed to the dealership on the spot. There is not the demand nor the dollars in the spa industry to match what is in autos. Auto production is so far reaching into the economy that it effects the cost of carpet pad as a example. And the auto makers tell you what car class a model fits in. Spas are just a much more narrow market.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 03:39:00 pm »

I for one would not want to see a KWH rating unless it was followed in bold print with all the possible things that will affect the KWH.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 04:10:08 pm by Gary »
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 03:47:51 pm »
The Calif energy commission would seem to be a way to address some of the questions raised by Drew, but so far it has been far less than anything that one would hope would seen as credible.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 04:35:59 pm »
Another way to look at it. Look at all the cars that CR tests. Take the model that sells the fewest. More people buy that particular model of car, than all the spas sold annually. Add to that the frequency the average person buys a new car, compared to the frequency they buy a replacement spa, and there just isn't enough demand to do the testing.

It still comes down to $$$. What items tested will sell more magazines?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 04:59:55 pm »
I have always found it some what odd that many want compare spas to autos....I mean I have pointed to it myself as a reference point at times when others also mention it...but having spent 15 years in the auto industry it is simply nothing like spas....other than both are large ticket items....and I have mentioned before that it is far easier for most to shop for a new vehicle than a spa because most people have much more personal knowledge about autos than spas.....I was a shopper myself when I got into the business and it was based on the difficulty I experienced in looking for a spa.....I certainly appreciate the desire for a credible point of reference when spa shopping but to have it mirror the auto world is not realistic, simply based on the dollars involved.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 05:01:21 pm by Mendocino101 »

anne

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 06:06:08 pm »
My car analogy was only a loose one. I guess it works as an analogy because almost everyone has bought a car, so it is familiar, and it is fairly big ticket, but that is it.

As for MPG and KWH ratings, I'm sure that car manufacturers would not put that stuff on the sticker if they did not have to. And as nice as it would be to have similar info for spas, it would take a lot of time and money for them to create controlled experiments to come up with valid numbers, and I dont want that extra cost to go to me, the purchaser. So its not so much that it CANT be done, just that its is probably not realistically useful.
Dance like nobody's watching

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 06:55:17 pm »
Anne,

I did not even notice your reference to autos....the reason behind my post was that many people would like to see many of the same type of resources that exist for autos also apply to spas and it gets mentioned often the problem is that the market is just to small for spas and the dollars are simply not there....

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 06:55:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42