What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First time buyer  (Read 2448 times)

Taddtx

First time buyer
« on: June 04, 2007, 03:27:00 pm »
This is all so confusing.  I dont want to spend a hunk of cash and be unhappy.  I have looked at a Leisure Bay Santo, 5K, 16 jets, 120v.  Wife was with me, it was our first stop.  So it gave a good first impression.   Wasnt really considerring the higher priced models.

So today i go and look at Sundance, the 800 series line.  2 pumps, 220v.  I looked at teh Cameo and Altamar.  I could get an '06 Cameo, out the door for 8945.   I can sure see the difference, WOW, the sundance camoe and altamar, are way above the Leisure bay i look at.

I have read all kinds of reviews, and my gut says pay the extra $$ and get the sundance.  But the wife is thinking, its jsut the hot water that help the muscles and they all have the jets where you need them.  

Im just afraid that the Leisure Bay Santo that i looked is just  hot water that bubles.  This could probalby be said of all the low end models of the varous manufacturers.

Right now I am close to jsut forgetting this idea and buying new pool furniture,  can fill the same space alot cheaper.  

Hot Tub Forum

First time buyer
« on: June 04, 2007, 03:27:00 pm »

Pathfinder

Re: First time buyer
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 04:11:28 pm »
Try to book a wet test for both tubs with the wife and see if she notices the difference then you should really have your answer.

nsavarirayan

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 04:14:05 pm »
I'm a newbie but I can at least ask you this - are you buying a hot tub or a bath tub.  Casue something full of hot water is a bath tub.  A Hot Tub (spa) is therapy and certainly no two are made a like.  I finally got a hot tub (d1 diplomat) and found during my search that its all about therapy and jet selction/position.  Everyone wants something different.   I wanted solid neck and feet jets and it took a few trips all over before I found what i wanted.  You may want solid lower back or hamstring jets - a different hot tub may accomadate that.

I would spend the extra money and get something good that you truly will enjoy for therapy.  I mean a good hot tub should be with you for 10+ years right?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 04:22:37 pm »
This is all so confusing.  I dont want to spend a hunk of cash and be unhappy.  I have looked at a Leisure Bay Santo, 5K, 16 jets, 120v.  Wife was with me, it was our first stop.  So it gave a good first impression.   Wasnt really considerring the higher priced models.

So today i go and look at Sundance, the 800 series line.  2 pumps, 220v.  I looked at teh Cameo and Altamar.  I could get an '06 Cameo, out the door for 8945.   I can sure see the difference, WOW, the sundance camoe and altamar, are way above the Leisure bay i look at.

I have read all kinds of reviews, and my gut says pay the extra $$ and get the sundance.  But the wife is thinking, its jsut the hot water that help the muscles and they all have the jets where you need them.  

Im just afraid that the Leisure Bay Santo that i looked is just  hot water that bubles.  This could probalby be said of all the low end models of the varous manufacturers.
 ;)
Right now I am close to jsut forgetting this idea and buying new pool furniture,  can fill the same space alot cheaper.  

I agree you'd be better off buying new pool furniture than a leisure bay spa.  The furniture will be more comfortable, less exspensive and last longer.

07 Caldera Geneva

dax

• '07 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 04:40:07 pm »
As for price on the Cameo - I bought a 2007 model complete with 250mg ozonator, matching steps, covermate I lift, start-up chemicals, and delivery for $9200.  Due in the week of June 18th.  Can't wait!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 04:58:35 pm »
Most studies show that after the first 90 days most people soak the majority of the time without the jets turned on. Personally, I've had hot tubs for 20 years, and the only time I turn on the jets is when I add chemicals.

IMHO
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 04:59:12 pm by lets »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 05:07:35 pm »

The Leisure Bay products are JUNK!  Do NOT buy one under ANY circumstances.  They are FAR, FAR less efficient.  There are a number of posts on these types of forums where some poor saps are paying upwards of $100/month in electricity bills simply to support their Leisure Bay Spas whereas a "typical" Sundance/Jacuzzi/Hot Springs, etc will typically increase your electricity only around $20/month.  To see my point, just look in any weekly newspaper and you will probably see at least a couple of Leisure Bay tubs in there and often the owners just "want them off their property" and they are priced REALLY low $500-$800 or so.  I don't sell tubs, I do own a Jacuzzi.  I have had friends who owned LB products, dumped them and got a "REAL" spa and have never been happier.  120volt power .... don't even THINK about it.  WAY too expensive.  Go 220 or don't get a spa...
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Taddtx

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 10:45:23 am »
I am pretty well talked out of considerring the Leisure Bay.  And think I finally ahve my wife convinced too.  

We are going to revisit the Hot Springs dealer for a comparrison to the Sundance Comeo.  I think they are in the same league.

The deep discounts on "last year model" seem ridiculous to me,  come on its a spa not a car.    Even though it seems as if the sales people have a lot in common with a car salesman.  

I never would have thougth the prices for a spa would be negotiable like they are.  You dont check out at a retail store and have the cashier tell you the price, then make a counter offer.   Why is the spa industry like this.  Even the new car industry is finally coming around and alot of dealers no longer play the games.

Taddtx

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 10:49:21 am »
Dax,  

Im a newbie to the Forum, jsut a couple days, i want to private messgae you about your purchase.  As I am interested in exactly what you bought.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 10:49:21 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42