What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Spring Summer Mode - Does it save energy too?  (Read 5725 times)

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
Hot Spring Summer Mode - Does it save energy too?
« on: June 02, 2007, 06:43:34 pm »
I know that the Summer Mode is used to try to keep the tub cool in the hot summer months, but I was wondering if also would save energy by putting the tub in Summer Mode now.  I am in Maryland and our electric company is doubling our kilowatt price this month, so they have successfully made me start thinking bout this stuff now.  Duh!
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Spring Summer Mode - Does it save energy too?
« on: June 02, 2007, 06:43:34 pm »

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Re: Hot Spring Summer Mode - Does it save energy t
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 10:13:45 pm »
Rich,

What will you be paying for electricity per kWH? I pay around $.30 for the spa.  We're on a sliding scale in Southern CA.

I tried the Summer mode once but didn't like the water quality without the circ pump running all the time. I don't think it makes that much a differnece in electrical costs. I think it's close to running a 75w light bulb. It does help to keep your water temp lower though.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 10:18:58 pm by Gomboman »
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 04:31:43 am »
I know that the Summer Mode is used to try to keep the tub cool in the hot summer months, but I was wondering if also would save energy by putting the tub in Summer Mode now.  I am in Maryland and our electric company is doubling our kilowatt price this month, so they have successfully made me start thinking bout this stuff now.  Duh!
According to my J-345's manual those modes consume less energy than the standard modes. It doesn't say how much less but clearly states that it uses less. I would guess, depending on one's kwhs/hour, one would see maybe a 5-$10 a month savings. That's really just a guess though, based on how much MY tub costs to operate.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 04:35:53 am »
Rich,

What will you be paying for electricity per kWH? I pay around $.30 for the spa.  We're on a sliding scale in Southern CA.

I tried the Summer mode once but didn't like the water quality without the circ pump running all the time. I don't think it makes that much a differnece in electrical costs. I think it's close to running a 75w light bulb. It does help to keep your water temp lower though.
Gombo, I'm still paying $.07 per kwh. :) I don't know how you guys do it. There's no way I could survive out there on my salary. Well maybe I could if I sold my Z for a bicycle. ;D

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 06:08:53 am »
Gombo:
I think we were paying about .13 per kwh which doubled to .26 yesterday. (no sliding scale back here)  This was after a previous increase in January.  Our price has increased about 85% this year.  All this was caused by our previous governors and legislature jumping on the Deregulation Bandwagon about 5 or 6 years ago.  But, with you being in California, I guess I don't have to tell you about that! (Enron and all!)

I'll keep an eye on the water quality.  I didn't think about that.

Chad, you da man at .07!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 06:11:11 am by Richs100 »
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 06:08:53 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42