What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: ugh!!  (Read 6133 times)

beaugart_mr

ugh!!
« on: May 30, 2007, 02:49:11 pm »
We are first time buyers of a hot tub and we are getting sales pitches from every direction.  We have deceided to stay away from the Costcos and Home Depots but are still dealing with spa overload.  We have been told Sundance, Hot Spring and Catalina are the top three.  After reading many posts on this site, it seems most mfgs are good.  At this point we are looking for a good spa that my wife, kids and I can enjoy.  Therapy at this point is not as important (maybe in our later years).  We see Caldera is much less than Sundance but Sundance has the warranty.  Hence my ugh!!!  We will wet test them, but those who have been in our similiar situation.....any suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

Hot Tub Forum

ugh!!
« on: May 30, 2007, 02:49:11 pm »

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
Re: ugh!!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 03:04:02 pm »
Wet test as you stated and do a little homework on the dealer and make sure they are good.

A bad dealer can make the best spa a bad experience and a good dealer can make the most of lower line spas.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 03:08:12 pm »
Are you getting Caldera and Catalina mixed up?  Caldera has a comparable warranty to Sundance. :o

I would look at the Tiger River Caspian.  Tiger River is made by Hot Spring.  Virtually the same warranty.  All of the key componants are the same.  Our customers tell us the Caspian is a great family tub becase of the seating.

Good luck on your search.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 03:09:19 pm »
I don't know if Catalina spas are in the "Top Three" But hot springs and Sundance  are always mentioned when discusing the better spas.

What was missing from the Caldera warrenty that has you going "ugh"?   I thought Sundance had a 2 year warrenty on the jets while the Watkins (Hotsprings, Caldera, Tiger River) all had 5?
07 Caldera Geneva

beaugart_mr

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 03:12:25 pm »
actually don't recall what the difference was with Caldera, but I was told Sundance is the best in the industry, Catalina is prorated, etc..

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 03:14:09 pm »
actually don't recall what the difference was with Caldera, but I was told Sundance is the best in the industry, Catalina is prorated, etc..

Was it a sundance dealer who told you that?  ;)  
07 Caldera Geneva

beaugart_mr

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 03:16:29 pm »
he was pitching both Sundance and Caldera, the Catalina guy said Sundance was good but stay away from Caldera...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 03:25:05 pm »
he was pitching both Sundance and Caldera, the Catalina guy said Sundance was good but stay away from Caldera...

Huh. That's the first time I heard that, and a bit unselttleing as I am getting one.  ;)   I think most folks would put Caldera way above Catalina, but when you'r talking to sales folks, you never know what you're gonna hear.  ;D
Anyhow, what's your buget? Any space/size restrictions? where are you located?  Have you seen anything that you really liked?

Anything you know that you don't want?

« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 03:27:34 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 03:31:18 pm »
Drewstar,

What do you think about my Caspian comments?  I know you bought one before you won your Caldera.  How does your sister like it? :o

beaugart,

My best guess is the Catalina guy is trying to get you to compare Sundance to Catalina and the Catalina will typically cost you less and you will get more bells and whistles.

Where do you live?  I know of one Caldera/Sundance dealer in northern CA.  It is a  rare combo to be selling.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 03:37:52 pm »
Drewstar,

What do you think about my Caspian comments?  I know you bought one before you won your Caldera.  How does your sister like it? :o

beaugart,

My best guess is the Catalina guy is trying to get you to compare Sundance to Catalina and the Catalina will typically cost you less and you will get more bells and whistles.

Where do you live?  I know of one Caldera/Sundance dealer in northern CA.  It is a  rare combo to be selling.

I think the Caspain is a great tub.  My sister is in love with it.

The only bad things I have ever heard about the Caspian is it's too shallow for some tall folks, and lately I've seen some prices for it that make my head spin. It's a great tub for the right price. (under 8  complete.)

I think it's a great recomendation.  :D

07 Caldera Geneva

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 03:44:54 pm »
Straight from Sundance;

WARRANTIES FOR OTHER COMPONENTS
The light bulb, light lenses, fuses, headrests,
cabinet finish, stereo remote control, and
filter are warranted to be free of defects in
workmanship and materials at the time of
delivery. All other spa components, including
but not limited to the cabinet (both wood
and synthetic), mechanical components, jets,
diverter valves, the stereo components (CD
player/radio, speakers, subwoofer, mechanical
speaker lift device, stereo access door,
power supply, etc.) and the filter lid are warranted
against malfunction due to defects in
workmanship and materials for two years from
the date of purchase

Looks like they exclude quite  bit.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 04:00:39 pm »
here's the caldera warranty:

http://www.calderaspas.com/Spa_Showroom_Hot_Tubs/warranty1.html

Diverter valves are 2years with Sundance? I am left with the impresson Caldera will warrent them for 5 yrs  as plumbing and 3 years (vs Sundances 2) on the cabinet.  ??? The only think I saw was you get another year (1 vs) 2 on the stereo.  (if you even get one).

I'd be wary of the salesman that was trying to steer you away from Caldera on the warrenty.  It sounds like either he was misinformed, or misleading.  Both are not good qualities in a salesperson.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 04:06:00 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

loosenupspas

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 04:39:43 pm »
always consider a Coleman Spa.  You can find their warranty online at the following addy:

http://www.colemanspasofsanford.com
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 10:33:27 am by loosenupspas »

beaugart_mr

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 05:10:57 pm »
I went and saw the Caspiran..nice looking spa..have not done a soak test as of yet.

I like the Caspiran and the Chelsee by Sundace.  They both seem to have the same price points.  When you say "complete" what does that mean?

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 05:25:56 pm »
 When you say "complete" what does that mean?

After reading some of his 40,000 posts, I pretty much know how to speak Drewstar (kind of a cross between Portuguese and Gibberish). I believe he means under $8k, complete with standard accessories like cover, steps, chem kit and cover lift.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 05:25:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42