What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What Causes the Water to Foam?  (Read 24130 times)

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: What Causes the Water to Foam?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 06:53:57 pm »
In reading my hotspring manual last night it mentioned that ozone is the only way to oxidize foam or soap in the water. I tend to agree since the clarifier helped quite a bit but my water has steadily improved in clarity and I think a lot of this is due to the ozone running 24/7.

Shocking is the best way to oxidize organics out of the water by reaching breakpoint chlorination. Ozone will help but I would prefer to shock weekly and have the cover removed to prevent oxidizing into the bottom of the cover. I wouldn't want to rely strictly on O3 but it's not uncommon for the benefits of O3 to be a wee bit exaggerated. Not that HS is known to do this though...  ;)

Steve
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 06:56:37 pm by Steve »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 06:53:57 pm »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 07:42:55 pm »
The water is VERY clean and nice.  The water DOES NOT foam when pump 1 or pump 2 is on separately - only when both pumps are on at the same time.  The foam dissipates within seconds of turning off the pumps.  The water is NOT NASTY.  The filters are clean.  The water did this from day 1.
SpaNE,

It's just bubbles that are created when the jets are on. No worries. :) Now if you have foam like suds that stay on top of the water after the jets are off for a awhile(like you would see when you add bubble bath to a bathtub), you have a foam issue.

SpaNE

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 10:03:51 pm »
SpaNE,

It's just bubbles that are created when the jets are on. No worries. :) Now if you have foam like suds that stay on top of the water after the jets are off for a awhile(like you would see when you add bubble bath to a bathtub), you have a foam issue.

Thanks - that is what I thought.  However what has me confused is that I only see the foam when both jets are on together.  Is this because of the additional agitation?

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2007, 04:52:50 am »
Thanks - that is what I thought.  However what has me confused is that I only see the foam when both jets are on together.
  Is this because of the additional agitation?

That would be my assumption as well. When I get finished soaking this morning, I'll do a little test in my tub to see if mine does the same thing. I'm pretty sure it does but I'll double check.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2007, 12:55:08 pm »

Cl free = 3
Cl total = 1

Do you mean your combined chlorine is 1?  Total chlorine cannot be less than free chlorine.  If your combined chlorine is indeed 1, I would suggest a good shock--combined chlorine should be kept under .5.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

SpaNE

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2007, 02:42:26 pm »

Do you mean your combined chlorine is 1?  Total chlorine cannot be less than free chlorine.  If your combined chlorine is indeed 1, I would suggest a good shock--combined chlorine should be kept under .5.

The test strips I use (Smart Test Pool & Spa Test Strips, by Poolmaster Inc.) indicate the Ideal Range for free chlorine to be between 1 and 3, and total chlorine between 1 and 3.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2007, 07:00:38 pm »

The test strips I use (Smart Test Pool & Spa Test Strips, by Poolmaster Inc.) indicate the Ideal Range for free chlorine to be between 1 and 3, and total chlorine between 1 and 3.

Here's some math for you to consider:

combined chlorine ppm = total chlorine ppm - free chlorine ppm

and, consequently,

total chlorine ppm = free chlorine ppm + combined chlorine ppm

I don't understand how your total chlorine ppm can be less than your free chlorine ppm when following the math above.

I would highly suggest that you get a Taylor Test Kit (2005) found here.  It comes with an EXCELLENT book on water chemistry.  If you decide not to get the kit, at least get the book by itself, also available at the url above.

We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

SpaNE

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2007, 08:45:58 pm »

combined chlorine ppm = total chlorine ppm - free chlorine ppm

I don't understand how your total chlorine ppm can be less than your free chlorine ppm when following the math above.

Reading and interpreting colors on a test strip is not easy or 100% accurate.  I just tested 10 minutes ago and it looks like my total is around 3 and my free is also at 3.

I'm satisfied that whatever "foaming" I was getting is the result of soap products on bathing suits/body oils -and water agitiation with both pumps on high.  The foam dissipates within seconds of turning off the jets.  I get zero foam with only one set of jets on.  The water is crystal clear and has no smell.

Time to go for a soak.  I'm done with this topic.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 08:48:28 pm by SpaNE »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2007, 10:21:23 am »

....I'm satisfied that whatever "foaming" I was getting is the result of soap products on bathing suits/body oils -and water agitiation with both pumps on high.  The foam dissipates within seconds of turning off the jets. ....

And we've been trying to tell you that foaming as a result of soap products DO NOT dissipate within seconds of turning the off the jets.

But your'e fine.  

Call us when you have this:

:D ;D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 10:21:53 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2007, 10:21:23 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42