What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Thinking Out Loud  (Read 20014 times)

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: Thinking Out Loud
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2006, 11:41:46 am »
Hey,
Who started this TP/Full Foam Thread anyway?

Yeah, whoever did is a big time goomer!

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2006, 11:41:46 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2006, 11:43:53 am »

That all depends.  It will help some, maybe to a great extent if you purchase a poorly insulated spa.  If you are still planning to buy a HS, the difference will be negligible as whichever model you end up with is going to cost you less than $25/month, period.

Don't build any enclosure in the interest of saving money on electric, rather, build one for asthetics or protection from long-term exposure to the elements.

Hope this helps. :)

Terminator

Well if I were to build an enclosure around my tub, would it best to build it using high R factor insulation, or I am thinking of ciruclating the warm air, given off by the tubs steam to heat in between the walls of my enclosure? It's just so confusing.  
07 Caldera Geneva

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2006, 11:53:29 am »
Keeping wind off any tub will help. This is not due to the pure scientific theory this time, but the more practical:

Wind does accelerate the cooling effect - and there are valid scientific reasons for this - but it can also raise the cover a bit. This is a very quick way to cool a spa: blow cold air across the surface. But wind can also slice its way into any crack or crevices in the siding (much more important on a TP) and this will include moving air through any venting system that might be present for the motor compartment.

Now, as Mr. Terminator Sir has well said, the amount of help this offers is directly proportional to the baseline ability of the tub to retain heat. In other words, the better the tub the less important it is where you put it in relation to the elements.

By the way - all tubs are female. What other explanation could there be for the fact that they cost a lot, require regular attention, get men hot and retain water?
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2006, 12:06:48 pm »
Sorry guys...  I think my attempt at humor may have ruined the thread for you.

I'll just shut up for a while.  :-X
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2006, 12:10:35 pm »
Sorry guys...  I think my attempt at humor may have ruined the thread for you.

I'll just shut up for a while.  :-X

Huh?

WEe got moved here becasue it's been discussed to the point of ad-nasuim.

I know that  term and I really apprecaite a smart ass. :^)
07 Caldera Geneva

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2006, 12:14:46 pm »
Wow, just when it was getting good, too.

:'(
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2006, 12:25:20 pm »
<Edited because I sounded kind of sassy in a drewstar-way and I don't want to be an instigator in the drewstar-fashion>

Terminator
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 02:57:32 pm by East_TX_Spa »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2006, 01:47:00 pm »
 This will give a tp spa an advantage over a ff spa strictly from a pricing standpoint.  Period.

Does anyone disagree?  I'm all ears....

Terminator

Well, one argument that is made regularly is that it is easier to service. The other side of that coin is that unsupported plumbing will need to be accessible as it is more likely to leak.

Regardless, many that are afraid of costly repairs outside of warranty lean toward TP. They believe that:

a) they will be able to do the repair easily themselves
or
b) the service person will not bill them for as many hours as they will not be digging through foam.

Others believe that TP is actually more efficient of hydro-electricity.

I do not believe TP is better because of what I wrote above, just playing devils advocate.

I will say, and many here have doubted me or called me an outright liar, but I will say it anyway.

Some TP tubs operate at a lower volume level than some FF spas. This is not based on science or with a decibel metre. This is based on my experience shopping and selling several brands. Coleman was hands down the most quiet spa I have sold, seen or heard. This includes Arctic, Beachcomber, D-1, Catalina, Hydropool, Coast and I am sure many others, but I would have seen/heard those tubs only once or twice.

Edit: I did change the line that begins: "I do not believe TP is better...." as I thought my original wording was unclear.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 01:58:29 pm by HotTubMan »
Homeworks Financing Representative

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2006, 01:51:55 pm »
Well, one argument that is made regularly is that it is easier to service. The other side of that coin is that un-supported plumbing will need to be accessible as it is more likely to leak.

Regardless, many that are afraid of costly repairs outside of warranty lean toward TP. They believe that:

a) they will be able to do the repair easily themselves
or
b) the service person will not bill them for as many hours as they will not be digging through foam.

Others believe that TP is actually more efficient of hydro-electricity.

I do not support these statements, just playing devils advocate.

I will say, and many here have doubted me or called me an outright liar, but I will say it anyway.

Some TP tubs operate at a lower volume level than some FF spas. This is not based on science or with a decible metre. This is based on my experience shopping and selling sevral brands. Coleman was hands down the most quiet spa I have sold, seen or heard. This includes Arctic, Beachcomber, D-1, Catalina, Hydropool, Coast and I am sure many others, but I would have seen/heard those tubs only once or twice.

I agree that fixing a leak in a ff tub could be a nightmare.  I just made sure I bought a good quality tub.  I would not want some fly by night company filling a tub with foam.

I like the idea of not realying on over agressive filtering to assist in my insualtion.  Foam works 24/7 without electricty.    It makes the most sense to me for the best insulation.   I had a tub with poor insualtion and it was a nightmare.
07 Caldera Geneva

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2006, 02:17:37 pm »
Well I tried to stay out of this, but like a moth to a flame I'm drawn in.

For those of you that don't know me I sell Coleman and Jacuzzi spas in what may be one of the harshest climates in the US...North Dakota

That being said, I can truely tell you with first hand experience that there is no big cost difference between running a Jacuzzi (full foam) and a Coleman (thermal pane) in the coldest winter months.

I can however tell you that a Coleman will heat up on a fresh fill faster than than a Jacuzzi when it's 20 below. This has more to do with the fact that Coleman uses the jet pump to heat and Jacuzzi uses a circ. pump. Both spas are excellent choices.

In the end what should be most important to anyone is the fit and feel of the spa and the dealer relationship and service history.

I've often said that no matter how comfortable you are with the technology that a certain spa manufacturer uses, if that spa doesn't fit you or you have to be an acrobat to stay seated in it, what good is it....

Spahappy :D

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2006, 02:39:09 pm »
"...all tubs are female. What other explanation could there be for the fact that they cost a lot, require regular attention, get men hot and retain water?"

Thanks Chas.  I love it.

Bill

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2006, 02:48:25 pm »
 :o :o :o

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2006, 02:51:04 pm »
:o :o :o

I deleted my comment.

mostly because I couldn't decide  ifI should use the word  "Cheap" or "Good"  ::)  Hmmm.  Maybe it's both. ?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 02:54:01 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2006, 02:54:06 pm »

I dleted my comment.

mostly because I couldn't decide between ifI should use the word  "Cheap" or "Good"  ::)

You should've just used this picture.

I have no idea what keywords were used to find this pic.

Terminator
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 02:54:54 pm by East_TX_Spa »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2006, 04:38:06 pm »

I have no idea what keywords were used to find this pic.

Terminator

Either "Save Me A Drumstick"  or "Worlds shortest living man".
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 04:39:14 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2006, 04:38:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42