What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Thinking Out Loud  (Read 20016 times)

Ehizzle

• "We're not here to talk nonsense to Bob Lablaw"
Re: Thinking Out Loud
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2006, 07:11:12 pm »
Sorry, ehizzle, but you've got to provide better data than that to support your conclusion.  I don't think there is anything obvious about your conclusion as you stated.

I was referring to the statement that heat loss is only from the top. My conclusion is supported by the data. All spas have covers. Insulated spas have insulation on the sides while non insulated spas do not. Those spas cost more to run, so obviously heat is also lost through the side. Seemed simple enough to me.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2006, 07:11:12 pm »

MarKee

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2006, 07:37:57 pm »
Marquis used to offer full foam as an upgrade but after looking at spas being returned due to leaks, it was all spas that didn't have full foam.  Now full foam is standard across all of the lines.  
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 07:38:26 pm by Hideaway_King »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2006, 07:44:28 pm »
HeySteve,
 Of course not.I am sure you have never shared the infrared shots with your dealers. I'm sure it would make for an interesting study, to photograph various manufacturers side by side, in the same envirement.

I totally agree!! It would more interesting than some independant study IMO and give a better understanding of heat loss in a given design.

Steve

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2006, 07:48:52 pm »

I was referring to the statement that heat loss is only from the top. My conclusion is supported by the data. All spas have covers. Insulated spas have insulation on the sides while non insulated spas do not. Those spas cost more to run, so obviously heat is also lost through the side. Seemed simple enough to me.

Can we see this data? Your conclusion is skewed sorry to say. These "blanket statements" don't lend itself to any form of credibility and you will have a difficult time here as the people that frequent this forum (both dealers and consumers) have a very high level of understanding and have seen this unsupported rhetoric before. Unfortunately, the interent is filled with misinformation.

Steve

Ehizzle

• "We're not here to talk nonsense to Bob Lablaw"
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2006, 07:54:36 pm »
Which part of my data was skewed? I'm not trying to be specific here and I'm not sure where you got that conclusion. Or why you are being so defensive about the subject. I'm not trying to sell FF over TP. All I'm saying is that there is heat lost from the sides as well as the top. Do you dissagree?

salesdvl

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2006, 08:04:30 pm »
All this talk of hats and attics is fun, but has no bearing on a body of heated water.

What if it's one of those thick ones with the ball on top and flaps that come down over your ears?     ;D
Measure once, cut twice.

jnsjr58

• Do like the smart piggy... build it with brick!!
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2006, 08:26:57 pm »
I can't beleive this even gets any acknowledgment ............ Can you say........... Stalemate,...even-steven, Mexican standoff,dead heat ,push, tie, dead end, equivalence, even game, level, Beating a DEAD Horse............
DONE!! and  DONE!!!!!
............ Next? ..............?

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2006, 08:33:46 pm »
Which part of my data was skewed?

I'll tell ya after I see it. That hasn't happened yet.

salesdvl

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2006, 08:36:38 pm »
Can you say........... Stalemate,...even-steven, Mexican standoff,dead heat ,push, tie, dead end, equivalence, even game, level, Beating a DEAD Horse............
DONE!! and  DONE!!!!!
 ............ Next? ..............?

Uhhhhh.... "Stalemate,...even-steven, Mexican standoff, dead heat, push. tie, dead end, equivalence, even game, level, Beating a DEAD Horse.....DONE!! and  DONE!!!     Next...."

Can you say Smart A$$".?   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D  
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 08:37:08 pm by salesdvl »
Measure once, cut twice.

NJDave

• It's just more fun to be in hot water!
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2006, 08:46:15 pm »
Hey,
Who started this TP/Full Foam Thread anyway? Terminator where are you? You left just after it got going huh? Oh I forgot he is sitting back in his energy efficient full foam hot tub. Oops! Sorry. ::)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 08:46:50 pm by NJDave »

salesdvl

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2006, 09:12:34 pm »
Nah... I'm sure he has one of those "High Performance" full foam hot tubs.   ;)   ;)   ;)
Measure once, cut twice.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2006, 09:19:02 pm »
What if it's one of those thick ones with the ball on top and flaps that come down over your ears?     ;D
Well, I have seen a University Study on thick ones with the ball on top, but not thick ones with a ball on top and flaps. But the thick ones with the ball on top did quite well in the study.

The worst ones? The ones with the propellor on top. They tend to be worn by folks with an air-gap between their ears.

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2006, 09:25:34 pm »
Insulation works by trapping air to keep it from moving, either by natural convection or drafts.  

So, if you do not have full foam insulation why not get some fiberglass batts and fill up the open space?  

It seems to me that this would be much cheaper than paying for the upgrade and may work even better than full foam since the internal parts would be more accessible.

Just a thought.  8)
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2006, 09:47:49 pm »
I have helped some customers pack insulation into the cavities of their spa. It did help - and we tested by watching the temperature drop overnight with the heat off. Made a big difference.

It is not quite the same as a good foam job - easy now - as it will tend to settle over time, and depending on the weather and how well sealed the cabinet is, it may begin to wick (get wet all by itself as it pulls water out of the air via condensation).

And it tends to invite critters. But other than that...

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

J._McD

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2006, 10:11:51 pm »
Let us just hope and pray that anyone that does use fiberglass as an added insulator does not have an air blower.  The blower would be sucking up airborne fiberglass and injecting it into the tub through the air injectors.

Can you imagine what it would be like if you were lounging in 103° water with all of your skin pores open with fiberglass in the water.  Not too smart, but then, it is cheaper than 2 chemical tanks of A B foam to do the job right.

I gotta go, I'm starting to itch all over.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2006, 10:11:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42