What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cloudy water  (Read 3405 times)

H823Putt

• My backyard oassis
Cloudy water
« on: May 27, 2007, 08:21:00 am »
   I jinxed myself on a different post when I said keeping the water clear is so easy my wife can do it. I am gone for 3 days and now my tub is cloudy.  :'(She said she added some di-chlor but when I measured, there was nothing.
  Yesterday, I shocked it then added di-chlor and the reading went to 10. This morning,
free chlorine= 3, ph=7.2 ta=100 and water is still cloudy. How long can it take to clear or should I just dump and refill. The water is only 1 month old and did not have to add a lot of stuff, just on initial fill.

Hot Tub Forum

Cloudy water
« on: May 27, 2007, 08:21:00 am »

Spiderman

Re: Cloudy water
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 09:10:37 am »
give it another 24 hours.  It should clear up.
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 09:16:46 am »
I like using MPS to clear in situtations like this.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 05:35:34 pm »
Or so easy a caveman can do it???grrrr  ;D ;D

OK, poll time here...How many wives are the tenders of the tubs??
Or how many wives understand the tub chemistry as well as the husbands?

I ask because of H8's comment and my sister who claims that she has NO clue of how to take care of the chemicals in her pool...I just don't understand that.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

The_Pa._Lady

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 06:12:55 pm »

Bonnibelle,

thanks for asking!  If it were for my husband, the hot tub would not be clear and clean.  He does not know a thing about adding chemicals, or when they are needed.  But it's probably because he does not go in as much as I do, and he knows I take care of it.  I must say though, he does help me with the water change.  

SurgTec

• Up to my neck in hot water!
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 07:51:53 pm »
Bonnibelle,

I'm with you - I don't think the 'wife' comment was called for!   ::)

I am sole caretaker of our Marquis Quest spa.  Our previous spa was my husband's responsibility - and the water quality was less than stellar.

After an initial 'micromanagement' water cloudiness - I've settled into a very simple spa maintenance rountine - my water stays clear and sanitary for up to 4 months - when I change water on general principals!   [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

eightisenough

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 09:18:11 pm »
I just bought a Sundance Cameo, and hope to be able to maintain with minimal chlorine and bromine or none at all.  This might be a very old dicussion here such as full foam.

I am worried about Bromine as a carcinogen, don't know if others are concerned and if any sanitize without.

Brookenstein

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 02:23:21 am »
I am sole tub caretaker her as well.  J knows to throw some dichlor in after use, but he doesn't know how much, why or anything else.  He's never cleaned a filter, checked the levels, changed the water, unloaded the dishwasher, taken out the trash, folded the laundry, mowed the lawn, cleaned the dog poo, cooked dinner.... oh sorry I got distracted.   :)

On a happier note he did buy me a new car tonight.   :)  Guess I can't complain too much.

H823Putt

• My backyard oassis
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 07:41:38 am »
Sorry if I upset anyone with my "wife" comment :-/  but if you knew her you would understand. I am leaving for Myrtle Beach next weekend(AHHHHHH, a week of golf) and am a little bit worried what the water will look like when I get back.

By the way I ended up dumping the water and re-filling. Needed clean water for my Memorial Day BBQ.

Ruby

• Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 09:19:32 am »
Here's another wife who is the sole caretaker of the tub!  Husband will throw in dichlor after each use, and even then he throws in too much. (Tim Taylor syndrome)  I'm thinking I'm gonna have to start premeasuring for him.
Minnesota Consumer
Been soaking since 7/2004

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 06:42:04 pm »
No one is upset...we are just messing with you!   ;)  Cue your wife in about the forum and if she gets in trouble, we'll help her out.. ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

svspa

• Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 01:09:09 am »

I just had a similar situation. Let the chlorine get to zero for too long  :(

Put in a tablespoon of dichlor, two tablespoons of Leslie's fresh and clear (MPS and Clarifier). Ran the jets, scooping out the nasty foam. Added a little more clarifier and repeated running the jets and scooping. All clear in about 1 hour.

While you don't want to OD on clarifier it does help clear up the cloudiness in a short time.

Steve

cburk0677

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 10:56:14 am »
I had this same problem over the weekend. My tub is only 5 days old. My wife and purchased a new suit and did not think to wash it before the first use. Anyways we had a nice amount of foam in the water from the residual soap left in from the swimsuit factory. So I bought some defoamer. It got rid of the foam but now our water was really cloudy. I went to lowes over the weekend and bought some clarifier. Put it in a couple times over the span of 2-3 hrs and ran the jets on high for 15 mins at a time. Nasty foam appeared, I got rid of it and the water started to clear up. By midnight last night our water was pretty clear. Not quite as crystal clear as before the soap but at least decent. I guess the lesson I learned is do not allow the wife to wear a suit in the tub:)
Enjoying SpaTopia in my 2006 Hotspring Vanguard

SpaNE

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 11:08:38 am »

I just had a similar situation. Let the chlorine get to zero for too long  :(

How long can the spa be at zero chlorine before it becomes unsafe and the water should be changed?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 11:14:00 am »
How long can yo ugo without chlorine depends....I use an ozinator and have left my water unattended for a week and come back to "clear" water ( I always add sanitizer to it, after letting it go that long). It was clear and fresh smelling.

On average, I have let my tub go 3-4 days and used it again without adding dichlor and never had a problem.  I wouldn't go longer than that just to be safe.

Bonnie: I do the hot tub. My wife tends the pool.   ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 11:14:00 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42