What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: water chemistry  (Read 2445 times)

mike in arkansas

water chemistry
« on: May 26, 2007, 01:54:51 pm »
Mike in Arkansas again -- I recovered enough from not being able to purchase a H***** Spa to actually buy another one (probalbyl the third worst spa in the world but the price was right and had features and PRICE we liked so we sprung for it) It will take a LONG time to recover from the personal rejection I have suffered from the other forum though!

Anyway to my question -- I was at a sundance dealer and was told the bromine systems have a FOUL smell and I owudl want to go with chlorine (does anyone know about the ion system used in another brand -- not to mention any names!) I also read an articlie on line from the director of Pacific Sands (EcoOne products) that it is better to run your water ph between 7.6-8.2 and total alkalinity between 100-120. He says it is a LOT easier to maintain balanced water at those levels.

Does anyone care to comment on any of the above? I take delivery next week and have the deck reinforced and the electrical all installed -- by a licensed electrician of course   ;).

Blessings on you all,
Mike

who says I am senile?

Hot Tub Forum

water chemistry
« on: May 26, 2007, 01:54:51 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: water chemistry
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 02:52:23 pm »
Mike in Arkansas again -- I recovered enough from not being able to purchase a H***** Spa to actually buy another one (probalbyl the third worst spa in the world but the price was right and had features and PRICE we liked so we sprung for it) It will take a LONG time to recover from the personal rejection I have suffered from the other forum though!

Anyway to my question -- I was at a sundance dealer and was told the bromine systems have a FOUL smell and I owudl want to go with chlorine (does anyone know about the ion system used in another brand -- not to mention any names!) I also read an articlie on line from the director of Pacific Sands (EcoOne products) that it is better to run your water ph between 7.6-8.2 and total alkalinity between 100-120. He says it is a LOT easier to maintain balanced water at those levels.

Does anyone care to comment on any of the above? I take delivery next week and have the deck reinforced and the electrical all installed -- by a licensed electrician of course   ;).

Blessings on you all,
Mike

Bromine is not bad and I am sure some here use it,I think a lot depends on how many will be using the spa whats your time worth things like that.  Although any chemical system does not require much time anyway.

While chlorine is easy it does take a bit more attention as far as making sure you add it after use,for large family's with busy scheduals are probably better off with Bromine but that being said I have quite a few large family's on chlorine with out a problem.

As far as ph and alk the ideal for ph is 7.2-7.6 or there abouts alk is 80-120 thats a given for any system you go with you want to be close to or at those levels.

Bottom line is, choose what works best for you. You may try both and hate them then look at the baqucil/baquspa products they work great also but there not for everyone like chlorine or bromine isnt for everyone either.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 03:04:11 pm by Jacuzzi_Jim »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 04:09:30 pm »
Bromine doens't really have a foul smell.  When I used it the smell was pretty mild.  Nothing that bothered me at all.
Not sure about ions.  
 I think bromine is probably the most commonly used sanitizer in hot tubs.  I switched to dichlor and like that way better, but nothing wrong at all with bromine.

Brewman

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 05:25:23 pm »
Mike, you wicked person ;) Most poeple do well with either, some are sensitive to either and end up switching to the other.  Which ever you go with, you can make it work and will find help here.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 05:25:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42