What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How is temp getting so high?  (Read 2663 times)

barshnik

How is temp getting so high?
« on: May 22, 2007, 01:40:32 am »
First summer for our Artesian (platinum series) after 14 years of a 'no-name' spa.  The sun has been shining every day, with temps above 90 here in Las Vegas.  I've got the spa temp set to 100, but by noon each day the water temp reaches 106, 107 by afternoon.  It sits in full sun.

I know the heater is not coming on at any time (I've used a clamp-on ammeter with a max hold feature, and I know only the 24 hour circ pump has run).  Is the temp rise due to the sun, and better insulation than I'm used to?  Heat generated by the circ pump?  Any ways other than opening the cover during the day (don't want to do that because of blowing crud in the air) or somehow shading it?

Any ideas?  Thanks,

John F
LV, NV

Hot Tub Forum

How is temp getting so high?
« on: May 22, 2007, 01:40:32 am »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Re: How is temp getting so high?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 06:32:46 am »
First summer for our Artesian (platinum series) after 14 years of a 'no-name' spa.  The sun has been shining every day, with temps above 90 here in Las Vegas.  I've got the spa temp set to 100, but by noon each day the water temp reaches 106, 107 by afternoon.  It sits in full sun.
Is the temp rise due to the sun, and better insulation than I'm used to?
That would be my guess.
I believe some people here brace up the cover with tennis balls that are placed between the top of your tubs shell and the cover. This helps the inside of the tub breathe and should help keep it down a couple of degrees. Someone who is more familar with this procedure(mine is only in the sun for about 30 mins a day, so I've never done it before) will chime in and give the specifics, I'm sure. :)

Best of Luck,

Chad

georgiapeach

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 09:10:47 am »
Hi John,

I have the same problem here in GA....I use 2 tennis balls to prop the lid and that does help alot.  

Peachy

I know the heater is not coming on at any time (I've used a clamp-on ammeter with a max hold feature, and I know only the 24 hour circ pump has run).  Is the temp rise due to the sun, and better insulation than I'm used to?  Heat generated by the circ pump?  Any ways other than opening the cover during the day (don't want to do that because of blowing crud in the air) or somehow shading it?

Any ideas?  Thanks,

John F
LV, NV

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 10:33:01 am »
It's called temperature creep and can be common on very hot days. Insulation works both ways and it's unusual for a well insulated spa to experience this. If anything, I've seen it to be more common in a TP designed spa.

Are there vents on the door that are adjustable by the pumps or anywhere else on the cabinet? Proping the cover open as mentioned should help but will also cause greater evaporation so be aware of that.

Steve

barshnik

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 11:55:57 am »
Yes, I understand that insulation should work both ways, but I think the amount of solar exposure and ambient heat is too much for just about any insulation to overcome here in LV.  I'll try the tennis ball trick...

John F

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 12:26:05 pm »
 The Platinum series also uses a high flow circ pump, you are probably gaining some heat from that as well as it runs 24 hours a day.

webboy

• hey bub
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 12:51:27 pm »
I know our techs are telling customers to:

• Make sure the spa is in economy mode
  • Lower filtration time to minimum setting
  • Open the cover at least every couple day[ch8217]s to let some heat escape.

Good luck!

txwillie

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 01:15:29 pm »
curious to see what mine does this summer. In a normal Austin summer, we will usually have a dozen or more days that hit 100 and a couple of months in the mid and upper 90s. My tub gets SW sun. I have a really large umbrella next to it that shades it some, but not really that much. I'll probably build some sort of cover over it, but it probably won't be this year. Taking the day off. Gonna go 303 the cover and drain/refill today.

txwillie

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 01:15:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42