What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Best surface for spa  (Read 3028 times)

spaz

Best surface for spa
« on: May 19, 2007, 07:53:54 am »
I will be going to pick out my spa today (Jacuzzi J-365) and I need to decide what is the best surface to have the spa rest on.  We plan to have the deck built around the spa.  I've been told about a spa pad.  Is anyone familar with this?  It costs around $300.00.  I was originally thinking of concrete or 2x4's.  

Also, for those of you who have seen spas built into the deck, are they not usually built in around all 4 sides?  I will have one side that is close to the house but my husband is concerned about the steam from the spa getting into the eaves and causing moisture to accumulate in the attic so he wants the spa to be away from the house.  The other side of the spa (the side of the cover lifter) will be at the end of the deck but I think it would look funny to have that one side of the spa totally exposed and not built in.  Any thoughts or personal experiences?  

Hot Tub Forum

Best surface for spa
« on: May 19, 2007, 07:53:54 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Best surface for spa
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 09:47:28 am »
Concrete pad is probably the best.  If you do the manual labor yourselves, it may not cost much more than the pad.
I know 2 spas with pads, both over 4 years old, and the pads seem fine so far.  
Anything that full supports the spa and which is not specifically excluded by the manufacturer should be okay.

If you put a spa into a deck you need to make it so the spa can be accessed for service.  If you put it next to an immovable structure, you need to leave enough room for service access.  You also might consider checking with your local building code authority to see if they have anything regarding spa placement.  

The tech's on the board can say what their minimal preference for service access is.
Brewman

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 01:33:26 pm »
I will be going to pick out my spa today (Jacuzzi J-365) and I need to decide what is the best surface to have the spa rest on.  We plan to have the deck built around the spa.  I've been told about a spa pad.  Is anyone familar with this?  It costs around $300.00.  I was originally thinking of concrete or 2x4's.  

Also, for those of you who have seen spas built into the deck, are they not usually built in around all 4 sides?  I will have one side that is close to the house but my husband is concerned about the steam from the spa getting into the eaves and causing moisture to accumulate in the attic so he wants the spa to be away from the house.  The other side of the spa (the side of the cover lifter) will be at the end of the deck but I think it would look funny to have that one side of the spa totally exposed and not built in.  Any thoughts or personal experiences?  

I would just do the cement pad and no more worries ever,As far as decks go you can build all the way around but you do need to leave access for the equipment area for sure some codes vary as do inspectors as to what they want for space. a foot or 2 should be fine but check with the builder of your deck.

Congrats to you also on your purchase!!

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 02:41:57 pm »
I respectfully disagree.

Concrete conducts cold extremely well, can crack or heave in freeze/thaw conditions and can be far more expensive than other options. Once they have cracked or settled, it can be a lot of work and money to level and repair. I don't know of too many cement pads that are poured that last very long at all without cracking over time and certainly not forever as JJ has suggested. The myth that a concrete pad is the best way to go is just that IMO.

Spa pads are great and are designed to eliminate those concerns.

When in retail, I always sugested various surfaces OTHER than concrete such as a the vinyl or plastic pads that are available, ground level deck or road crush packed down with sand and blocks on top of that. If it ever did settle, it's extremely easy to repack the crush and set the blocks back down and should never require another adjustment.

Steve
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 02:47:09 pm by Steve »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 03:36:58 pm »
 Good point Steve!  I guess a lot depends on where you live,here in the great NW we dont have to worry to much about really freezing temps for very long,so if the pad is done right and prepped right with rebar or wire mesch  and at least 4 to 6" thick it will/should not be a problem.  

spaz

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 10:09:41 am »
I purchased my spa yesterday.  It should take 3-4 weeks for delivery.  I did end up going with the spa pad basically due to cost.  It is much less expensive than concrete and I certainly did not want to have to do it myself.  With spending all this money, I want someone else to be responsible if something goes wrong.  I think I will have the deck built fully around the spa as it will look nicer and have a trap door insert so the spa's controls can be accessed.  The builder seems to think it is unecessary to build it all the way around the spa but I think it will give it a more finished look.  

Thanks once again for everyones input on this site.  I will post pictures for all to see once delivered and if I can figure out how to post pictures  ;)

autoplay

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 11:24:47 am »
Best surface for spa to rest upon/over is Zim Conjuna.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 04:03:34 pm »
I have seen problems with the spa pads, being that they are two pieces I have seen them settle at different rates. depending on your soil you may need to prepare the ground before the pad it put down.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

spaz

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 09:24:34 pm »
Thanks Gary for that input.  I had not thought about the pad being in 2 pieces and settling at different rates--so that is very helpful.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 09:24:34 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42