What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Portability of Hot Tub?  (Read 2538 times)

javalvr

Portability of Hot Tub?
« on: May 12, 2007, 05:06:03 pm »
We're in a newly built house and would like to add a hot tub, but will likely make changes to the back yard area (adding a deck, patio, etc.) over the next few years. So, if we buy in the near future, we may need to move it down the line.

We looked (and will return to try) an Arctic today and one of its features was the "Forever Floor" that they say makes the unit truly portable because it can be put on any surface.

Any feedback on that? Do other manufacturers have something similar? Would it really make a difference in moving the unit?

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Portability of Hot Tub?
« on: May 12, 2007, 05:06:03 pm »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
Re: Portability of Hot Tub?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 11:10:14 am »
I don't know if I would be comfortable placing the Arctic on any surface, only a prepared surface.  Arctic dealers may disagree, but a surface should at least be level and not be able to absorb water.

There are fiberglass panels that fit together that form a pad, much like the pads used for air conditioning units.  I have seen them at my dealer.  They sell Sundance and HotSpring..so good for those brands.  That would make it somewhat portable.

morecowbell

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 11:34:55 am »
I think the electric connection is something you should consider if you paln on moving the spa within your yard. The spa will be directly wired from the main service panel of your home. Relocating the spa means redoing the electric connection or somehow accounting for the 2nd spot you may place it and have the electric able to get there.

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 07:42:51 am »
Check with your dealer.  My gives one free move in case you decide to change your design after a few years.  Maybe yours will agree to move it too

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 08:06:46 am »
I'd carefully consider spa placement looking into the future as far as practical.  Most likely you'll have to redo your electric, as was posted earlier, plus relocating any foundation you decide to build, plus the cost of moving the spa itself, should you not be able to do it yourself.  
 Just the electrial rework could cost plenty, depending on the your specific situation.

I'm not aware of any spa brands that offer the type of floor Arctic does- the other names I'm familiar with all require an adequate foundation.
Brewman

Tom

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 02:42:31 pm »
We looked (and will return to try) an Arctic today and one of its features was the "Forever Floor" that they say makes the unit truly portable because it can be put on any surface.

Some manufacturers  use an ABS (plastic) floor pan but AFAIK Arctic is the only one to use pressure-moulded SMC fiberglass.

The Forever Floor does not require a concrete pad (though if you wish to use one, you may) and can be put on any "properly prepared" surface.  That means a surface which is compacted and leveled.

Ask your dealer for a pre-delivery site inspection if you have any concerns or questions.  Proper site preparation is important for your warranty protection, whichever brand you choose.

javalvr

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 09:42:11 pm »
Thanks everyone - you've brought up some planning issues for us to really chew on about before making a decision.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 09:42:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42