What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need Help!! - getting a new Hot Tub got questions!  (Read 3906 times)

nsavarirayan

Need Help!! - getting a new Hot Tub got questions!
« on: May 14, 2007, 03:48:23 pm »
Hi everyone,

I am also glad to see dealers on this site since I appreciate that you have much knowledge.

So far my research has taken me to the Arizona pools and spas store.  the lady who helped me was nice and owned a hot springs so naturally was guiding me towards that model - telling me it has won consumer reports best buy for the last few years.  The model in particular we looked at was the vanguard.  The cost for this (she told me it was on sale) was 8300 and would be 350 more for the cover that has a lift - which she recommended.  Just the clarify this is the top of my budget and even 8 grand is still pushing it - so there is no way I can spend much more unless another hot tub has features so much nicer that it would make it worth it.

Well my other searched were at Costco looking at no-name brands which folks have said to stay away from.

Yes I do realize is Hot Springs is like the BMW of hot tubs but is this the model I should get.  I mean this Hot Tub will be with me for 5-10 years before I possibly move.  I am particular about having jets that sooth my often sore back and neck.  Also energy efficiency is important since if spending more money now means I save more money in the long run.

So at my price range is the hot tub for me?  Should I check out any other brands or models?  What do all of you suggest - I especially want to hear from all you dealers out here.  Thanks for all your help!

Hot Tub Forum

Need Help!! - getting a new Hot Tub got questions!
« on: May 14, 2007, 03:48:23 pm »

nsavarirayan

Re: Need Help!! - getting a new Hot Tub got questi
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 03:51:23 pm »
Oh Yeah here is the link to the vanguard so you can see the specs.

http://www.hotspring.com/Spa_Showroom_Hot_Tub/spa_model_vanguard.html

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 03:57:57 pm »
Hi Msacariayan,

I'm not a dealer, but yes Hotsprings is one of the best hot tubs you can buy. The costco Tub isn't even in the same class of tub and you would be far better off with the Hotspring.

Have you wet tested the tub? This is very imporant to actually see if the tub does indeed meet your needs. No matter  what tub you buy, you should wet test it out.

As much as I think Hotsprings is a very good company, I think it would be wise for you to look around at some of the other QUALITY tubs out there, so that you know what is available to you and for how much money.

Take a look at Caldera, Sundance, Jacuzzi Dimesion One, to name a few.

I think you'll be happy with the Vanguard, but you should compare it to other tubs of similliar quality nbefore spending your money.
07 Caldera Geneva

nsavarirayan

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 04:38:54 pm »
The dealer who told me about sundance says they are the Porche of hot tubs and will cost a bit more for the same style tub.  But just to be clear I need no frills at all - good lighting would be nice - but I don't care about waterfalls or stereos.

So is this true - can it be that much better then hot springs - or how about coleman - the guy I talked to raves about coleman.  I plan on et testing them all but I would like all of you opinions.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 04:58:31 pm »
The dealer who told me about sundance says they are the Porche of hot tubs and will cost a bit more for the same style tub.  But just to be clear I need no frills at all - good lighting would be nice - but I don't care about waterfalls or stereos.

So is this true - can it be that much better then hot springs - or how about coleman - the guy I talked to raves about coleman.  I plan on et testing them all but I would like all of you opinions.

Everybody has there favorites, I personaly would put Marquis and Dimension One ahead of both Hot Springs and Sundance. I also would put Arctic above those 2. But Hot Springs and Sundance are both great tubs. Jaccuzi makes a good tub, Artesian and the list goes on and on. Look for yourself, you should be able to get just about anything with no extras for 8 grand or less. And by all means wet test if you can.
Retired

spaz

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 05:42:55 pm »
I agree with Drewstar and definitely wet test.  The tub I thought I was sold on by its looks was not what I expected when I wet tested it.  There are many quality spas out there from reputable dealers you can get for less.  But my thought would be if you plan on keeping it 5-10 years, what's an extra $2,000.  Also, keep in mind many dealers offer interest free financing and you can look at paying it off over the next year.  This is a pretty hefty investment and one not to just jump into  ;) literally.

Best of luck!

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 06:28:38 pm »
Have you looked into the electical hookup and other costs yet? You will need a concrete pad or other solid foundation for the tub, and electrical hookup will cost $1000 or so (sometimes lots more). If you're at or near the top of your budget, make sure you have firm quotes on these items.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

nsavarirayan

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 06:29:45 pm »
a grand for electrical hookup - how can it be so expensive?

Brookenstein

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 06:38:19 pm »

Depends how far your run is.... plus some people end up having to upgrade their panel.

I've already forgotten what I paid... $675 or $870 something like that for just over 100 foot run.  Mine is tacked to the house, no digging.  I would have had to do that myself or paid extra.  I had multiple bids and they went as high as $1500.  One thing I reccomend is having an electrician who does spa installs (mostly) rather than just a general electrician, they are much cheaper.

The actual wire is really spendy these days.  Depending which brand of tub you buy, the box is included with some brands so that can save you ~$125.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 07:42:39 pm »

Besides the issue of just how long of a "run" you have, the main reason is copper has gotten VERY expensive. So much so that last month I saw my neighbor (the contractor) leaving his house with a bag and when I asked him where he was going his answer was "the security guy called and said he can't cover the job site tonight so I have to watch it and sleep overnight or someone will steal all the copper plumbing we had delivered that we're going to be installing this week".

The other reason is that electricians are trained professionals and they don’t work for $15/hr. You don’t want just anybody doing the job (though some handy people can but it’s a crapshoot guessing whether they’ll do it right or not).

« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 07:43:19 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 08:40:28 pm »
My area must be on the low side - I got a qualified electrician who does all the installs for one of the local spa stores to do mine for $350 last year, minus the box.  It's only about a 40 foot run, but after seeing some of the quotes on here I was quite pleased to get it done so cheaply.  He even stuck around after the install to help me get the spa up and running and gave me chem recommendations.  (All this bearing in mind I got a used tub and did not buy it from his store.)  I got the box separately, Chas helped me out with a reasonable price quote and I picked one up near my parents' house for half what it costs in my town ($175 vs. $350).

So don't get too scared, get a few quotes and see what it comes out to.  My other recommendation: See if your dealers have used tubs to check out, 2-3 years old.  Hot tubs depreciate fast after purchase and you can get a very nice used model for a lot less if you're budget constrained.

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 08:52:17 pm »

Not sure where you are......plus each case is different
depending on how far panel box is away from tub, local codes, ect.....

But in Spring '06 here in Dallas I got BOTH my slab and electric
done by a licensed electrician for a grand. Both were done in a very
professional manner.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 08:52:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42