What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Springs Prodigy vs. Jacuzzi J-325  (Read 41438 times)

guyplayeur

Hot Springs Prodigy vs. Jacuzzi J-325
« on: May 05, 2007, 07:16:01 pm »
Very close to buying either the Hot Springs Prodigy or the Jacuzzi J-325, and wondering if anyone has any insights.  The posts on this board are very helpful and I'm hoping someone has words of wisdom for me as well!

Curious about general recommendations, and also monthly costs to operate for each as well.  I live in Northern California.  

I've also looked at the higher end Jacuzzi J-460, so if anyone has anything to say about that one I'd surely appreciate that as well!

Thanks!

-sam

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Springs Prodigy vs. Jacuzzi J-325
« on: May 05, 2007, 07:16:01 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Hot Springs Prodigy vs. Jacuzzi J-325
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 07:54:33 pm »
 The J-325 will probably cost less each are very nice spa's pump wise the Jacuzzi has a bit more hp and a bit more filtration not a huge difference, I would say do a wet test, both are great spas.

As far as the J-460 goes its in a totally different league than the other 2.

I just fired one up yesterday for a test soak tonight and it plain out rocks, tons of power in all the seats and looks fantastic, not sure how it will work for taller/larger people but it really does perform the new RX jets are fantastic.

I cant remember where the Prodigy prices out the J- 460 will most likely cost more but then again its a different spa.

Power wise should be around 10 to 15 a month for all 3

Like others will chime in, wet test and see which feels and fits you best.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 08:25:38 pm by Jacuzzi_Jim »

guyplayeur

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 08:28:48 pm »
Great stuff, Jim.  

You mentioned that the Jacuzzi has more horsepower than the Hot Springs.  Does more hp equate to more $$ for the electric bill?  

The prices I've been quoted are $7295 for the Jacuzzi J-325, $7895 for the Hot Springs Prodigy, and $9395 for the J-460.

Any info on how quiet these are in comparison to one another when circulating the water when not in use?  The spa is going to be right outside out bedroom window and we like the windows open at night.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 08:55:22 pm »
Great stuff, Jim.  

You mentioned that the Jacuzzi has more horsepower than the Hot Springs.  Does more hp equate to more $$ for the electric bill?  

The prices I've been quoted are $7295 for the Jacuzzi J-325, $7895 for the Hot Springs Prodigy, and $9395 for the J-460.

Any info on how quiet these are in comparison to one another when circulating the water when not in use?  The spa is going to be right outside out bedroom window and we like the windows open at night.

The higher hp wont make a difference electrical wise anf the sound between the 2 should be the same the nice thing with the 460 is you can totally control when the main pump comes on for filtration what time and how long you want it to run,you can also with the J-325 just not as exact as the J-460 its still not bad though.
 The circ pump runs 24/7

The price for the 325 seems high but a lot depends where you live?  We sell the 325 at 6495.00 and the 460 at 8995 or so.

guyplayeur

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 09:01:14 pm »
I'm in Northern California...everthing's pricey here.   ;)

Those Jacuzzi prizes include the ozone, cover lifter and steps.  Does that sound a little better?

So I gather you're a Jacuzzi dealer?

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 09:06:41 pm »

Those Jacuzzi prizes include the ozone, cover lifter and steps.  Does that sound a little better?

Those items do help the price quite a bit and yes we are a Jacuzzi dealer.

Whiskeyjack

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 10:14:17 pm »
Hey Guy,

About a year ago we were in the same position you are now--trying to decide between the Jacuzzi 325 and the Prodigy. We ended up with the Prodigy. I've continued to lurk on this board since asking a few questions prior to our purchase.  We liked both tubs, but preferred the combination of open seating and bucket seating of the Prodigy. The bucket only seating of the Jacuzzi just seemed a little too confining for us, and you can squeeze more than four people into the Prodigy at times.  If you are on the tall side, you might prefer the Jacuzzi, as I seem to remember that it was a little deeper. Care and electric expense has been easy and cheap over the past year.

Mez

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 07:58:19 am »

THought I would chime in. I ordered a Jacuzzi J-345 3 weeks ago. List is $7995, sale price $6995 with the authorized new model sale...ended up paying $6495 and that price came with cover lifter, chemicals, steps, ozonator and delivery. I am in Cincinnati, Ohio. I was told the tub is manufactured in California and I supposedly got a little better price since I said I wasnt in a huge hurry to get it. The dealer was trying to get an order together to ship by rail for a cheaper delivery charge. I would think you should be able to get a comparable deal. And that price was for a 345 vs the 325 you questioned.  The 400 series are pretty sweet but quite a bit more $$. Did you look at a J-365? I think that is the best tub in their lineup for the money...but still a bit more than I wasnted to pay.

guyplayeur

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 10:26:25 am »
I'm looking at the J-325 or J-460 because I have space constraints in my yard and need a smaller spa.  The Hot Springs Prodigy is a similar size.  

This is all great info.  Anyone else have any stories?

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 10:32:52 am »
Great stuff, Jim.  

Actually the higher the HP the higher the electric bill.  It is not huge, but it is there.  Common sense says that it takes more power to run a bigger pump.

However, the quality (density) of the insulation in the Hot Spring is superior to the Jacuzzi.  There is a reason Hot Spring has published 3rd party testing for power consumption and others haven't.

Unless they have changed their programming, the Jacuzzi will filter with the jet pump on a timer, making it noisier during that sequence.

Where in northern CA are you?  I know the Hot Spring dealers well and some of the Jacuzzi dealers also.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 10:34:53 am by hottubdan »
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

guyplayeur

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 11:54:53 am »
We're in Mountain View, California.  Been shopping at the Hot Springs in San Jose, and the Jacuzzi dealer in Palo Alto.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2007, 12:13:38 pm »
We're in Mountain View, California.  Been shopping at the Hot Springs in San Jose, and the Jacuzzi dealer in Palo Alto.

2 strong dealers, although Paradise Valley's firsat love is Sundance.  Are you working with Chet at the Hot Spring store?  He is an industry veterean.  What is included with the Prodigy?  Comparable package?

104 degrees

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2007, 12:37:00 pm »

Actually the higher the HP the higher the electric bill.  It is not huge, but it is there.  Common sense says that it takes more power to run a bigger pump.

However, the quality (density) of the insulation in the Hot Spring is superior to the Jacuzzi.  There is a reason Hot Spring has published 3rd party testing for power consumption and others haven't.

Unless they have changed their programming, the Jacuzzi will filter with the jet pump on a timer, making it noisier during that sequence.

Where in northern CA are you?  I know the Hot Spring dealers well and some of the Jacuzzi dealers also.

Mow much more is the savings on the hot springs compared to the Jacuzzi?? Are we talking alot??

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2007, 01:18:43 pm »

Mow much more is the savings on the hot springs compared to the Jacuzzi?? Are we talking alot??

There is no documentation.  Hot Spring has made energy efficiency an engineering cornerstone from day one, 30 years ago.  For many other manufacturers it has been an afterthought.

Hot Spring has done 3rd party testing, and published it in their brochures and web site.  http://www.hotspring.com/Spa_Showroom_Hot_Tub/energy-efficiency.html

Until there is a standard for 3rd party testing and other manufacturers step up to the plate, we are left to our imaginations how much the savings is with a Hot Spring vs. others, none, 10%, 20%, 50%, more?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 01:54:35 pm by hottubdan »

104 degrees

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2007, 02:21:03 pm »

There is no documentation.  Hot Spring has made energy efficiency an engineering cornerstone from day one, 30 years ago.  For many other manufacturers it has been an afterthought.

Hot Spring has done 3rd party testing, and published it in their brochures and web site.  http://www.hotspring.com/Spa_Showroom_Hot_Tub/energy-efficiency.html

Until there is a standard for 3rd party testing and other manufacturers step up to the plate, we are left to our imaginations how much the savings is with a Hot Spring vs. others, none, 10%, 20%, 50%, more?

This is true. Does hot springs make a tub without the Moto massage??

I take it that hot springs is Full Foam?

Thanks 104 :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2007, 02:21:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42