What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Rash and Chemicals???  (Read 4819 times)

rkukl

Rash and Chemicals???
« on: May 08, 2007, 08:30:13 pm »
We recently purchased a spa had it for about 2 weeks and all seemed to be going well. Chemicals look good maybe a bit low on chlorine but PH etc good. Recently wife developed a rash went to the Dr and she feels it could be from the spa possibly the chlorine. I am considering changing from a chlorine based system to a system from SpaGuard called SoftSoak.

Prepare yourself for a special spa experience with new BioGuard® SoftSoak®. Our bromine-free, chlorine-free spa care system needs your attention only a few minutes a week. SoftSoak provides a wonderfully soft, soothing and gentle spa environment. Expect the best in spa care:
 Soft, gentle water
 No dry skin or hair
 Non-irritating to eyes
 No unpleasant chemical odor
 So simple to use

Looking for info and thoughts any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rich

Hot Tub Forum

Rash and Chemicals???
« on: May 08, 2007, 08:30:13 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Rash and Chemicals???
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 11:02:34 pm »
My first though is, the doctor "feels it could be from the spa possibly the chlorine"???? Did she also look into her crystal ball for diagnosis?

Chlorine could be the problem...... but, so could;

A bacterial infection from residual water left from the original testing of the spa at the manufacturer (possibly somewhat chlorine resistant)

The simple fact that soaking in hot water draws out the oils and drys the skin (the skin produces oils the older we get)

Eczema, brought on by the drying out of the skin.

And then there's my ongoing, unfinished list;

Pseudomonas
sensitivity/allergy to chemicals
Grovers disease
unbalanced pH
schistosomes
Dermatitis
excema
Leptospirosis
Toxoplasmosis
Salmonella
Austrobilharzia variglandis
avian schistosome
ring worm
jet pressure
herpes simplex
Xerosis
Streptococcus
Staphylococcus
Mycobacterium marinum

If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 07:39:31 am »
Soft Soak is a biguanide system.  It is also offered by Leisure Time called Free and of course by Baqua.  If you do a search on Baqua, you will find more information than you will want to handle.  Some love the system, others hate it.  Biggest advantage is ease of use.  Disadvantages include high expense, the infamous baqua cough and goo around the water line.

104 degrees

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 07:41:09 am »
Soft Soak is a biguanide system.  It is also offered by Leisure Time called Free and of course by Baqua.  If you do a search on Baqua, you will find more information than you will want to handle.  Some love the system, others hate it.  Biggest advantage is ease of use.  Disadvantages include high expense, the infamous baqua cough and goo around the water line.

Does "baqua" eat plastic jets??

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 07:45:54 am »
From what I understand, there were issues with biguanides and certain plastics in earlier years, but I am quite sure this has been addressed and is no longer a problem...at least with the major manufacturers.

104 degrees

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 07:49:17 am »
From what I understand, there were issues with biguanides and certain plastics in earlier years, but I am quite sure this has been addressed and is no longer a problem...at least with the major manufacturers.

Thanks Tony :)

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 10:27:34 am »

Does "baqua" eat plastic jets??

Tony is correct.  Beware of any manufacturer that states Baquaspa voids warranty.  Inferior plastics!
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 10:41:08 am »
I agree with Doc's reply that suggesting just "the dreaded chlorine" is the issue may be a shortsighted diagnosis by this physician.

The key in your post, at least to me, is that you have only had the spa 2 weeks and don't yet have a clear understanding of water balance and how you affect that balance by using the spa. pH and lack of sanitizer are the 2 key aspects I would suggest to look closer at. There's also the possibility of it being just a heat rash...

Is your wife known to break out if she uses a public pool or spa? In the shower or bath? These are places where chlorine is used as well. I would switch to bromine prior to Softsoak personally.

Steve

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 10:48:40 am »
Do any of you remember Snowbird and the problems he had with a very bad rash on his leg?  turned out that he misunderstood his dealer and was not properly sanitizing his spa. Althought his wife didn't experience the same problems, they stopped using their tub for a while. Finally, I believe someone on here, took a close look at how he was managing his water, got him on track. Finally things resolved, his leg healed and he was able to enjoy his tub again.
Rkuki, you  might want to take a real close look at how you manage your water. Maybe if you post your water routine, someone on here can assist you so that you aren't wasting time switching chemicals and methods.  :-/
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 10:50:21 am »

If I recall, it was things like light lenses on some spas that were being affected.

The light lens on my 03 Optima developed a sliver crack around the edge while I was on Baqua, but I'm not sure it was the Baqua.  Sundance is one company that wasn't warning against the stuff.  My dealer even carried it.  So it might have been something else.
Brewman

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 12:22:22 pm »

If I recall, it was things like light lenses on some spas that were being affected.

The light lens on my 03 Optima developed a sliver crack around the edge while I was on Baqua, but I'm not sure it was the Baqua.  Sundance is one company that wasn't warning against the stuff.  My dealer even carried it.  So it might have been something else.

Polycarbonates are what's effected. ABS, which is used in some jets, and lexon, used for some light lenses.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 02:10:01 pm »

Polycarbonates are what's effected. ABS, which is used in some jets, and lexon, used for some light lenses.

It is all plastics just some are affected quicker than others. Most people that have had issue use too much shock.

It has nothing to do with the spa manufacturer using inferior plastic or not, would you think Lexan is inferior? The manufacture that would not tell you all the facts is an inferior company.

Lexan is a very strong plastic, so if a company switches from it what are they giving up?

The shock from biguanides is also very hard on pump seals. The better manufactures will use a additive called Viton in their seals and it will eat them up.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 02:11:44 pm by Gary »
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 02:57:45 pm »
Inferior? I never said anything was "inferior".

Do you consider gold to be "inferior"?

Chlorine will eat away gold.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 03:02:38 pm »
Inferior? I never said anything was "inferior".

Do you consider gold to be "inferior"?

Chlorine will eat away gold.

Sorry I was referring to hottubdan remarks.

My point was that the word inferior should not be used, as anything can be bad if not used properly.

You see I did state that most people that have issue use too much shock.

Sorry if I was not clear, doing ten things at once.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 06:19:21 pm »
I used the word inferior.

My understanding is there has never been any proof that the plastics are effected by the biguanides.

Gary thinks it is too much shock (now called oxidizer).

I have heard anecdotally it is high pH.

I know it was something, because when we sold pools with Baquacil I saw crack leaf trap lids. ;)
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 06:19:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42